Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Guitarists
Sep 4, 2003 at 6:40 AM Post #47 of 70
I love these kinds of threads... This reminds me of how great head-fi used to be.

There are some interesting inclusions as well as omissions. I like that Robert Randolph made the list. He is an amazing talent and his back-up work is even better than his work fronting his own band. The fact that Eddie Hazel made the list is great, but to have him ranked so low is a big joke. Funkadelic's "Maggot Brain" has to be one of the greatest guitar recordings ever and Eddie's playing is nothing short of spectacular. I hated to see Shuggie Otis excluded and feel that his age at the time of his recordings should be considered. If you factor that he was first recorded at 13 years old and went on to record three of most amazing funk,R&B,Jazz and Rock recordings ever by the time he was 19,then his exclusion seems an act of complete ignorance.

Sep 4, 2003 at 6:53 AM Post #48 of 70
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
Cobain says more with a 5 second riff than Joe Satriani does with an entire 30 minute wankfest.
cool.gif

Mark

I was following you up until this comment - wow!!! If you think Satriani is just a wankfest, then I guess we really just have to disagree. Satriani's strong classical music background shows up in depth and subtle nuances of his music. He understands harmony, chord progression, melody and is a great showman as well. He is the most gifted rock guitarist I have ever heard. Corbain put together some simple chords that made a powerful statement - I love his music. This however, in no way, shape or form, makes him a great, or even a good guitarist. You could call him a trend setting musician and nobody could argue with you. But a great guitarist - no way!

Sep 4, 2003 at 7:12 AM Post #49 of 70
I understand what markl is saying...but I don't agree. Performance level does not necessarily equate to musical skill. Take for example...comedians...Jerry Seinfeld makes people laugh, so does Chris Rock. Jerry Seinfeld brings to the audiences attention trivial things in life which upon analysis are really quite outrageous. His craftsmanship is of a higher level than say Chris Rock's. Chris stands on stage, bitches and complains and makes diggs at everyone and everything. I can diss people with the best of them but I may not be able to make an audience laugh while doing that, Chris Rock can; he is a successful comedian for doing so...but Jerry Seinfeld is ground breaking! His indepth analysis of the world around him and his ability to bring those issues to the attention of the audience, to QUESTION AND POINT OUT...well, that's on the level of genius.

I would never say Chris Rock is one of the greatest comedians of all time. I would say he may be one of the most successful, money-wise and fame...but put skilled comedians in a room and they may grade him quite low. Now then, Seinfeld who is even more successful and famous is also EXTREMELY talented and once again, ground breaking. Put him in the same room, have him graded and he will make any list. Likely in the top 10.

The same goes for ANY field. There are some phenomenal scientists, those who have 6 PhD's, 3 of which were obtained by the age of 25 and score off the charts on every aptitude test. Their skill is nearly unparallelled But...they don't have any Nobel Prizes under their belts. Meanwhile, we have a handful of perhaps LUCKY scientists, who...were in the right place at the right time and happened to make an observation. This observation may have been sooo simple for even an average teenager to witness and record...but this person was there first, followed up the research, replicated it and published the results. This person's methods may be HORRID, I mean...would fail ANY lab technique course...but dang...they ahve that Nobel hanging around their neck. Who is the better scientist? Who is the more successful scientist?

So...with musicians, skill on a list of SKILL (which is obvious since they did say BEST OF ALL TIME) has to be based on well...skill! If Kurt can't play more than 3 chords...then heh...he sure as hell should not be on the list. Being a creative SONG WRITER is not the same as being a skilled guitarist. Take the buddies from the Ace of Bass...these guys sit in their offices and make up quick licks that are played ALL OVER THE WORLD because these songs are sung by the likes of Britney and NSYNC. Are these guys talented musicians (they actually may be but for thesake of this argument lets just go on what they are pumping out) no they are creating catchy drivel which appeals to teens. I can make up a catchy lick on a guitar using three cords, I couldn't even begin to touch Joe Satriani on playing even a scale. Skill, its all about the skill.

This list is not about skill, its about selling magazines, its about some guy sitting on the crapper one day figuring out a list of artists he's heard without actually doing any real research. I don't expect one to have listened to EVERYONE, but surely they should do some research. Maybe starting by checking out some guitar mags would be a good idea....
rolleyes.gif

Sep 4, 2003 at 2:00 PM Post #50 of 70
A couple that I didn't see:

John McGlaughlin
Al Di Meola
John Renbourne

Actually, Rolling Stone was probably right in mostly ignoring jazz and blues guitarists. If they had included the best in the jazz and blues genres, there'd be room for only a handful of rock musicians on the list
tongue.gif

Sep 4, 2003 at 2:03 PM Post #51 of 70
I didn't see Alex Lifeson or (in particular) Michael Shenker in that list... what a lame list!
biggrin.gif

Sep 4, 2003 at 6:17 PM Post #52 of 70
Quote:

I was following you up until this comment - wow!!! If you think Satriani is just a wankfest, then I guess we really just have to disagree.

He he, OK sorry for the Satriani cheap shot. I worked for years in my youth in a record store and was forced to listen to whatever Satriani album has the silver surfer on the cover OVER AND OVER. My manager was a guitar player and worshipped the guy. I hated it at the time, it sounded like ego-tripping noodling to me, maybe now I would feel different. Anyway, I personally have never purchased any of those kind of "guitar god" instrumental albums like Steve Vai, et al, does not interest me, they always *seem* like vanity projects, not my thing. Hmmmm... that probably doesn't endear me any more to you....
tongue.gif

EDIT: BTW did J.Mascis (Dinosaur Jr.) make the list? What about Lindsey Buckingham?

Mark

Sep 4, 2003 at 7:55 PM Post #53 of 70
Hirsch john mac laughlin is there (number 49 IIRC) that is the weird thing, nothing about the similar guys like dimeola or coryel, or any other...

Sep 4, 2003 at 7:57 PM Post #54 of 70
Mark don't let that manager fool you, and give Satriani a second chance, you are the only that is losing there, he is a very talented and very good musician and not only technically (yes he is a guitar teacher and bla bla...) but he is able to make me cry while playing a blues.....
wink.gif
wink.gif
not everybody get that feeling honestly....

Sep 4, 2003 at 8:50 PM Post #56 of 70
Rolling Stone understands who their readers are and a list of way-less-than-well-known guitarists isn't going to appeal to most of their audience.

And the definition of Greatest can mean anything. Anna Kournakova isn't one of the all-time tennis greats skill-wise but her popularity has probably done a lot for tennis and that makes her a great asset to the tennis world. Yeah, she's got some great assets.
biggrin.gif

Kobain may not have been greatly skilled with guitar fundamentals but how many millions enjoy the music he played with his guitar? The greatest skilled guitarist in the world is nothing if no one hears them.

A true list of the 100 most-skilled guitarists in the world is going to contain a lot of names that most people haven't heard and don't care about. It may be more accurate but much less interesting than the RS list.

Consider which list you would rather read...

Sep 5, 2003 at 1:22 AM Post #59 of 70
I won´t start a fight over this. But ask ANY guitarist or student guitaris or browse through deja.com all the alt-guitar sites and you will find Johnny Marr is a respect as one of the best guitarists in the WORLD. Perhaps you don´t like his music or the bands he has played (I do love his music and the bands) nevertheless as I said, he is one of the greatest. Noel Gallagher...I respect him very much and like Oasis a lot but I certainly think that Noel is a great composer, not a great guitarist.

Sep 5, 2003 at 2:51 AM Post #60 of 70
Quote:

Originally posted by MikeM
Rolling Stone understands who their readers are and a list of way-less-than-well-known guitarists isn't going to appeal to most of their audience.

And the definition of Greatest can mean anything. Anna Kournakova isn't one of the all-time tennis greats skill-wise but her popularity has probably done a lot for tennis and that makes her a great asset to the tennis world. Yeah, she's got some great assets.
biggrin.gif

Kobain may not have been greatly skilled with guitar fundamentals but how many millions enjoy the music he played with his guitar? The greatest skilled guitarist in the world is nothing if no one hears them.

A true list of the 100 most-skilled guitarists in the world is going to contain a lot of names that most people haven't heard and don't care about. It may be more accurate but much less interesting than the RS list.

Consider which list you would rather read...

The problem is that the good guitarrists DO have an audience also, and more educated and refined that the one Rolling Stone is used to, and even maybe once were proud members of their subscriptions. Are you saying that becasue Segovia is not known as Cobain among the people who read that stupid magazine right now, he did, and do, not have an audience, sorry but you are wrong, BTW do you know any good guitarrist that is not well known, how we know them, then, and how we know he (or she) is good then? Sorry but again Cobain has nothing to do on this list, Joan Jett has nothing to do on this list not even Joni mitchell has nothing to do on this list and there are about 30 or 40 more, and as someone stated before not even in the 500 bests....IMO.....
Are you trying to say the Satriani, AlDimeola, Steve Hackett, Ian Anderson, Allan Holdsworth, Scott Henderson, Mike Stern, etc...are not well known, and people haven't heard them? This is unbelievable, still are there any member that stand in favor of this absurd list?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back