Roll Call: Who's building, built, or thinking of building a beta22?
Sep 24, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #2,794 of 3,218
yep Also one thing i cannot live without it the cleaning gauze which frys sells (hakko brand) , looks like metallic wool but works wonders for cleaning solder much better than provided pad http://www.frys.com/product/1563515?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Oct 14, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #2,797 of 3,218
hey guys i ran into some problems with the ground plane board.  when i adjust vr1 to get the voltage across R9 to 4.5V im getting ~5.5V on R10/R12 and ~7.5V across R11. The heatsinks warms up pretty fast compared to the other 2 boards which are working properly.  anyone have any suggestions?

Oct 14, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #2,799 of 3,218
yea VR2 is fully CCW; all three of the pins are connected to the board, ~2 ohms between pin1/2 and ~470ohms  between pin2/3 on VR2.  is dc offset between output and ground? i tried adjusting it with VR3 but the pot maxes out @ .13V DC.

Oct 19, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #2,800 of 3,218

Quote:
yea VR2 is fully CCW; all three of the pins are connected to the board, ~2 ohms between pin1/2 and ~470ohms  between pin2/3 on VR2.  is dc offset between output and ground? i tried adjusting it with VR3 but the pot maxes out @ .13V DC.

Hi I encountered a almost similar problem like yours some time back, which was, no matter how i adjusted and checked and troubleshooted, the readings just cannot be achieved, i even replaced parts as suggested and suspected to be faulty and still the readings are not correct, everytime, i power up the board, the readings just went haywire and in a couple of minutes i see smoke coming out from one of the mosfet (i have replaced and checked countless of times on everything from soldering to components etc)

finally, i realised the cost of buying replacement parts and time i spent on troubleshooting came almost equivalent to getting a new single board kit set and populate it again, thus i choose the easy way out i guess and ordered a single board kit from gj and now i am a happy man with everything running great. i could be wrong but i personally guess there could be something wrong with the board itself since i have checked on everything else, so if you have checked and is pretty sure everything were done correctly, then try getting a new board or a new single board kit.

Oct 30, 2010 at 6:05 PM Post #2,801 of 3,218
Well, I finally finishing stuffing the boards and wiring everything up, but now I have problems with the initial setup.

Without any of the Beta 22 boards connected, I get approximately 29 volts (positive and negative) from the Sigma 22. However, when I connect the first Beta 22 board (haven't tried the other two), the voltage is about 20 volts (positive and negative) and slowly climbs as time goes on (about 0.1 volts every few seconds). What's more, the heat sinks on the Beta 22 board get REALLY hot (too hot to touch).

Oct 30, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #2,802 of 3,218
Assuming that the heatsinks on the sigmas are cool with nothing connected, you should then double check the amp boards as per the Beta 22 website. It's hard to believe that the sigmas would drop that much voltage without a fuse blowing, or something being very wrong, like a part somewhere taking up smoking.

Oct 30, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #2,803 of 3,218
Hi, I am planning on building a beta22 but I am currently trying to decide what gain I should get.
I am going to go balanced and I am wondering whether a gain of 5 (effectively 10) would be too high for either the grado rs1's or the ultrason hfi-780's.
Thanks

Oct 30, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #2,805 of 3,218
Quote:
Assuming that the heatsinks on the sigmas are cool with nothing connected, you should then double check the amp boards as per the Beta 22 website. It's hard to believe that the sigmas would drop that much voltage without a fuse blowing, or something being very wrong, like a part somewhere taking up smoking.

The heatsinks on the Sigma 22 are cool with nothing connected.

I didn't notice any smoke for the first Beta 22 board, but I did notice a smell. Perhaps something was burning? I went ahead and tried hooking up another channel and I had the same problem: really hot heat sinks, low positive and negative rail voltages, and a strange smell. This time though, I also noticed a small amount of smoke. Unfortunately, though, I couldn't tell what part it was coming from.

How sensitive are Q1-Q4 to heat? When I was soldering the boards, I noticed I had put those parts in wrong at first, as per the Beta 22 instructions, and had to desolder them. I wonder if I gave them too much heat when I was trying to remove them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back