Roll Call: Who's building, built, or thinking of building a beta22?
Mar 1, 2010 at 5:14 AM Post #2,521 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by nattonrice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can "tune" the feel of the steps by using different sized knobs.

Good Point! The knob makes a big difference to the action, the weight as well as the diameter alters the feel. The best result I’ve had so far is by using an actual DACT knob.

Mar 1, 2010 at 1:28 PM Post #2,523 of 3,218
I had my reservations about the limited number of steps but I have genuinely not even thought about it since I have built the amp. It really is a non issue, I don't ever find myself between steps or wishing for more granularity.

I plug the HD650 in and I'm using 50%-85% range and when I plug the SA5000 in I'm using 30%-60% range.

I have a gain of 2 but 4 effective because I'm balanced, also have a 4v source.

With a big knob the steps feel awesome and subtle, with a smaller knob it just feels tight and very high precision....choose your poison!
L3000.gif

Mar 1, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #2,526 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by jh4db536 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
have you considered using the TPA JTA? you get 128 steps. the disadvantage is the extra space that it takes up and complexity.

I did but after weighing up the pros and cons, I'd simply go with a 'classic' pot.

I have a custom made knob which weighs ~500g
ph34r.gif

Mar 1, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #2,529 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did exactly that - to parallel the input wires with some outputs that go to my sub.

in fact, I go thru a 2nd vol control so that I can remotely control sub volume.

you may want a LP filter or band split (hp/lp) or just use the one in the sub.

but yes, a passthru has good use for subwoofers.

passthru is just a y-cable, folks
wink.gif

Just wanted to clear something up w.r.t. loop-outs, preamp outs and subwoofers. I'd rather not have to hack my B22 apart later to fix the loop-out/preamp-out.

So if I understand this correctly, the standard definitions are:

loop out = no amplification, no volume control
preamp out = with amplification and volume control

Which makes me wonder, if I do not want a separate volume control for my sub, then I must connect it to the preamp out. However, is this signal too hot for a powered sub?

Mar 1, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #2,530 of 3,218
^^Your custom knob weighs 500g, as in 1.1lbs? Even if it were made out of steel, it would have to be stupidly large, like 6 cm in diameter. Why would you want something that big?

Mar 1, 2010 at 11:27 PM Post #2,532 of 3,218
A powered sub should take line-level inputs, the same as the amplifier for your main speakers, so the pre-amp outputs should be fine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtostenr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just wanted to clear something up w.r.t. loop-outs, preamp outs and subwoofers. I'd rather not have to hack my B22 apart later to fix the loop-out/preamp-out.

So if I understand this correctly, the standard definitions are:

loop out = no amplification, no volume control
preamp out = with amplification and volume control

Which makes me wonder, if I do not want a separate volume control for my sub, then I must connect it to the preamp out. However, is this signal too hot for a powered sub?

Mar 2, 2010 at 2:48 AM Post #2,533 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^Your custom knob weighs 500g, as in 1.1lbs? Even if it were made out of steel, it would have to be stupidly large, like 6 cm in diameter. Why would you want something that big?

It's only 40mm x 40mm. Not really big but damn heavy. And yes, it's made of solid steel.

Mar 4, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #2,535 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, not to insult, but I've zapped a few caps when I forgot to discharge them. so its easy for people to forget
wink.gif
I did, more than once!

as a matter of course, I simply replace all MOSFETS and .47ohm r's.

I don't even bother checking the .47 r's. I just replace them.

smile_phones.gif
You're welcome, linuxworks.
Well I've replaced several MOSFETs. Because the Q2 in my Sigma22s was dead and I didn't find out at first, I just kept buring MOSFETs after I replaced them.
I also checked one of my Beta22s is failure right before I powered up. One zener diode was blown and the MOSFETs were dead.
Now everything is fine and I stll have a long way fighting against the hum nosie. Guess I will replace the trafos next step.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back