Roll Call: Who's building, built, or thinking of building a beta22?
Feb 24, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #2,491 of 3,218
Agreed. I went out of my way to make sure that everything running to and from my Beta boards was through a connector of sorts. Saved me a lot of time and headaches in the end.

Feb 24, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #2,493 of 3,218
I prefer screw terminals myself. Not nearly as fast or easy as a connector, but in my humble experience they are much more robust over the long term.

Feb 25, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #2,494 of 3,218
Quick question for Ti....

I'm building a 3 board active ground b22 on the e22 backplane and I'm trying to work out how many contacts I'll need on the cable harness from the s22.
The s22 has 4 sets of +G- connectors and and additional 2 x G
The e22 appears to have 1 connector block for + G -

What is the recommended method of interconnecting.

Feb 25, 2010 at 3:06 AM Post #2,496 of 3,218
We are 3 friends building our B22 + Sigma 22.

Any suggestions for solder ? Is-it good idea to take silver like (Wonder or Cardas Quad) ?
For internal wiring any suggestions ?
For XLR plugs and volume controls ?

Feb 25, 2010 at 3:37 AM Post #2,498 of 3,218
another thought on solder is to get something relatively thin. if it's too thick, it will be difficult to get good joints consistently. i personally agree with linuxworks on the type though... I've just used the thin radio shack stuff myself. The 63/37 stuff seems to work just fine.

Any XLR plugs are fine. Neutrik ones are pretty standard around here. As for volume controls, the Alps pot is very popular. DACT attentuators and Valab (from ebay) have also seen plenty of use with good results.

Feb 25, 2010 at 4:20 AM Post #2,499 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prefer screw terminals myself. Not nearly as fast or easy as a connector, but in my humble experience they are much more robust over the long term.

I tend to agree, as I have had never ending difficulties with the molex-type connectors that Ti recommends, but I decided to go for it once more for my beta and they have worked beautifully. Don't know quite what changed though.

Feb 25, 2010 at 4:27 AM Post #2,500 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by pompon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We are 3 friends building our B22 + Sigma 22.

Any suggestions for solder ? Is-it good idea to take silver like (Wonder or Cardas Quad) ?
For internal wiring any suggestions ?
For XLR plugs and volume controls ?

Silver solder is a bad idea unless you have a good iron, and even then it is more difficult to work with. I would stay away from it and just use thin radioshack solder.

Internal wiring, I would use teflon coated wire. It is easier to work with IME and you don't have to worry about melting the insulation with a stray iron.

For XLRs, I like the Amphenol female plugs I got, but neutrik are probably almost identical. They were about $5 at mouser.

Volume control, I like the Valab stepper, which I used on my beta. If you are looking for a pot, the Noble AP-25 from Michael Percy is supposed to be good for the money. You could also look at the TKD pots available from parts connexion.

Feb 25, 2010 at 8:02 AM Post #2,501 of 3,218
The Cardas Quad solder (no silver) is so nice to use that I 'waste' it doing any soldering job, on the car, round the house etc. It melts at such a low point that its useability is the best I have seen. I buy it for that reason alone, imo nothing is quite as easy to work with.

Feb 27, 2010 at 5:03 AM Post #2,502 of 3,218
I have a question regarding a psu build I’m in the midst of http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/diy...s-like-471094/ I would like to add an auxiliary AC output, for future amps that might need stuff like momentary switches a Joshua Tree Attenuator etc.
I’d like a default transformer to cover this, I’m thinking 30VA 2 x 12V would be a good starting point. What do you think?

Feb 27, 2010 at 5:14 AM Post #2,503 of 3,218
As it turns out, I just added a small trafo to my own B22 PSU to power the JTA. Do you think you'll need 30VA? That seems like a lot for the ancillary stuff you'd likely want to add. I guess if the size is small and it's not too expensive, there's no downside. Just something to think about.

Feb 27, 2010 at 6:53 AM Post #2,504 of 3,218
You should know what you're planning to power, so you could choose the transformer voltage and current ratings appropriately. You need sufficient VA rating to do the job, but no more. Too much voltage and the regulator will have to dissipate a lot of heat, too much current rating means a larger transformer, which costs more, uses up more space, and emits more magnetic interference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back