Roll Call: Who's building, built, or thinking of building a beta22?
Feb 22, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #2,461 of 3,218
Thanks for the info, I was thinking it was probably safest to do the final fit myself but I'm a bit lazy
biggrin.gif

I've used FPE program a lot, I've never actually had anything made but I have used it for design for a long time. I found printing it onto transparent sheets or giant sticky labels was handy!

Feb 22, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #2,462 of 3,218
Funnily enough I'm OK with the measuring up.

The DXF files that you can download for the Galaxy cases are quite good and easy to follow (for the fixing holes and panel sizes).
Also, the component suppliers have good datasheet support for all the chassis parts.

I got the 'official' s22 and b22 logos from a post Ti made in this or another thread.

I too am paranoid about clicking 'buy' as I have no idea how much I'll be charged for the 'extras' (i.e. the acrylic disc and the panel thickness).

Still, brother-in-law is here in the morning so I should be able to get it done tomorrow.

Feb 22, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #2,464 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by fault151 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It should calculate it for you before u buy so you will know the exact price. Good luck with it!

No it does not include extras that you add in the comments, like any thickness greater than 4mm, etc.

Feb 22, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #2,467 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by UKToecutter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Doh, that sounds silly.
I meant the front and rear panels are going to cost about $90

Each? Or for both? Sounds pretty reasonable to me.

The front panel alone for my Exstata clocked in at a wallet crushing $114. Cavities and threaded holes on the back of the panel are a killer
redface.gif

Feb 23, 2010 at 11:07 AM Post #2,468 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Each? Or for both? Sounds pretty reasonable to me.

The front panel alone for my Exstata clocked in at a wallet crushing $114. Cavities and threaded holes on the back of the panel are a killer
redface.gif

I can't remember exactly how much mine cost to make, but it wasn't cheap at all. I had 4 panels made, two on 6mm thick aluminium and one perspex 4mm thick disk.

It was all the countersinking of parts that cost the most!

Feb 23, 2010 at 11:59 AM Post #2,470 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by UKToecutter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
fault

My B-I-L has drawn me a nice headphone in Illustrator.
How did you manage to export to a hpgl file?
It does not seem to be a save or export option.

I got a mate to do it for me as i didn't have any programs which use hpgl files. I know Corel draw does, if you have that? If you haven't got the program maybe someone on here could do it for you?

Its only a case of saving it. Id do it for you if i had a program that does it.

Feb 23, 2010 at 12:31 PM Post #2,471 of 3,218
Use CorelDraw or send it to me and I'll do it. (Any format thats a vector please i a n @ m a g s y . n e t )

I had an issue with FPE though in as much as they charge you for the HPGL you import, so if you import a huge 1000px X 1000px HPGL and then scale it back to say 20%, they bloody charge for the big imported size. I had this confirmed via email because my logo was costing 400 euro
floatsmile.png

Feb 23, 2010 at 12:53 PM Post #2,473 of 3,218
Cool!

File > Export > PLT - HPGL.

When the HPGL export box pops up asking for options you can leave them all default but for better quality you might want to change the 'pen width' to match the engraving tool in FPD (0.2mm?)
Also if you have a fill not just an outline, you are going to need to fiddle on the last tab with crosshatching to simulate a fill. If you crosshatch too much it costs a fortune, so you need to balance the spacing to get a complete fill with the minimal amount of strokes.
If the logo is tiny this probably doesn't matter but I've been making a big one, 100x50mm.

A HPGL is just a series of lines for the machine to plot, so by its nature you cannot just 'fill' a blank area with color, it has to make each stroke to create a fill, each stroke costs time on the machine=money...

Feb 23, 2010 at 1:47 PM Post #2,474 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
when you worked on your power supply, DID YOU DISCHARGE THE CAPS, first?

very important....

Yes, I think I am aware of that.
wink.gif

Today I swapped the zener diodes, and I used another DMM to check again, no good.
redface.gif

Uh, I am completely lost now, I may check those BJTs later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back