Roll Call: Who's building, built, or thinking of building a beta22?
Jul 1, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #1,126 of 3,218
That is gorgeous! What are the dimensions? And I wonder how you setup lights for SE and balanced. My god man! Nicest black build Ive seen
biggrin.gif

Jul 1, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #1,127 of 3,218
I started getting things together and ordering parts in February this year. Most of the time was waiting for various parts to arrive.
The cases are Par Metal 12x12x4 Series 20 in Black. The front panels are done by Front Panel Express.
The button lights are set up so that Balanced is Blue and SE is Green. The same goes for the 'phone/Preamp switch, Blue is Headphones, Green is Preamp. The Blue/Green lines above/below the switch don't light up even though it looks like they do in a couple of the photos.

The PSU is the same one I had images of back here. Initially I was using painted plywood as a mockup front panel, just to make sure I got everything just where I wanted it, in the recent images it has its shiny new front panel on it
icon10.gif

I should probably take some new photos of its insides.

Next thing I need to do is gather all the documentation and design notes I have made during the process and put it onto a couple of SD cards to keep in the cases. I've had problems previously with stuff I have made years ago, when it eventually fails and I open the case I find myself wondering "What the hell was I thinking when I did *that*?!" Hopefully keeping everything inside the amp will prevent that from happening later on down the track
tongue.gif

I have no idea how much its cost so far... I'm not even entirely sure I want to know
wink.gif

Jul 1, 2009 at 7:56 AM Post #1,130 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is no convenient way to do it if you divide the power supplies up this way.

Yeah, that's kind of what I figured. Just wanted to make sure I didn't miss out something. The explanation in related post that you linked to was quite explicit on why.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Correct, see related post.

Thanks.

Jul 1, 2009 at 8:28 AM Post #1,131 of 3,218
Gatsu, great build! Pictures like that do get me impatient to finish mine.
k701smile.gif

I'm curious about the headphone/preamp switch. Does it do something more than just redirect the output of the amplifier from front to the back?

Jul 1, 2009 at 1:14 PM Post #1,133 of 3,218
Gatsu,
looks gorgeous!

Jul 1, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #1,134 of 3,218
Great build Gatsu!

I'm with Matt in wanting to see those files you're putting inside the case.

I'm building a B22 in the next few weeks, and there are a lot of design elements in yours that I wanted to incorporate into my build.

Since Headwize is still down, is there a head-fi thread for discussing builds, or is this it?

Jul 2, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #1,137 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
quickie, does the zobel change the sound characteristics of low impedance phones?

It shouldn't.

Jul 2, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #1,139 of 3,218
I'll likely get some time to put the files together over the weekend, so hopefully I'll have something for you guys after that. I'll try to update things as well to reflect the additional changes I made during the build.

I'll try to include stuff like part numbers for the case, switches, knob etc .

Karu, yes thats pretty much all the Headphone/Preamp switch does. (through a relay)

Jul 2, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #1,140 of 3,218
Would the TRS short issue be nullified if I made a 4 pin xlr adapter to 1/4 and plugged the 4 pin side to the B22 and the female end 1/4 to my SE headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back