Roll Call: Who's building, built, or thinking of building a beta22?
May 24, 2009 at 4:30 AM Post #841 of 3,218
Building a 3 channel here. Still waiting for parts to arrive from Glassjar.. Saw a small black hammond case the other day, and I think I'll go that route for my beta22.

popcorn.gif

May 24, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #842 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by ting.mike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Building a 3 channel here. Still waiting for parts to arrive from Glassjar.. Saw a small black hammond case the other day, and I think I'll go that route for my beta22.

popcorn.gif

When I think small Hammond case I think it might be good for a Mini3. How small are we talking?

May 24, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #843 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by naamanf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I think small Hammond case I think it might be good for a Mini3. How small are we talking?

Yah... I thought the biggest Hammond cases were the ones I used for my M3 (8x6x2 I think) which I can't see being anywhere near big enough for a 3 channel beta. Maybe I missed some of the bigger ones?

I guess you could put one board in one case and wire them together?
wink.gif

May 25, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #844 of 3,218
dear AMB,

I would like to ask 2 questions.

1. Can u recommend some choices for power switch of the sigma 22?I just want a toggle one which is connected in series with the IEC, but there are too much choices, and I want to choose one which is no harm for the sound quality. U may recommend some brands or even the model name.

2. Install the mosfet chips in contact with the case or install the mosfet in contact with the heatsink, which one is better?

Thanks a lot!

May 25, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #846 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by yuk228 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dear AMB,

1. Can u recommend some choices for power switch of the sigma 22?I just want a toggle one which is connected in series with the IEC, but there are too much choices, and I want to choose one which is no harm for the sound quality. U may recommend some brands or even the model name.

2. Install the mosfet chips in contact with the case or install the mosfet in contact with the heatsink, which one is better?

Thanks a lot!

1) It is impossible to tell the difference. Unless youre of the "Judge power cable"-persuasion, in which case youll probably be happy just buying the most expensive button you can find
wink.gif

2) That depends on your case. If its a thin steel case, then the heatsinks will be better. If it's a thick, flanged, aluminum case, then case mounting will be better. Of course, if this is simply a headphone amp and not going to be used as a speaker amp, then the heatsinks will provide adequate cooling regardless.

May 26, 2009 at 7:05 AM Post #847 of 3,218
I got my balanced beta22 up and running this weekend.
Big thanks to amb, johnwmclean, fierce_freak, fault151 and Russ and Brian at TPA for their help along the way. I still need to get the front/rear plates for the case made but so far it sounds fantastic. This was my 2nd amp build (1st being the MH MiniMAX) and despite the difficulty and amount of work needed, it was well worth it. I will post pictures of the final product when everything is finished.
smile_phones.gif

May 26, 2009 at 7:37 AM Post #848 of 3,218
Congrats Justin, can’t wait to see the pics. Glad you got through it relatively unscathed. It’s an awesome feeling listening to those first few tracks, I’m still coming down from it.
tongue.gif

May 26, 2009 at 2:02 PM Post #850 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by alwayshungry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got my balanced beta22 up and running this weekend.
Big thanks to amb, johnwmclean, fierce_freak, fault151 and Russ and Brian at TPA for their help along the way. I still need to get the front/rear plates for the case made but so far it sounds fantastic. This was my 2nd amp build (1st being the MH MiniMAX) and despite the difficulty and amount of work needed, it was well worth it. I will post pictures of the final product when everything is finished.
smile_phones.gif

Welldone mate, glad it's working! Can't wait to see the pics of the panels and everything.
icon10.gif

May 26, 2009 at 2:05 PM Post #851 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by yuk228 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dear AMB,

Thanks a lot!

Peraonally i went with the bulgin illuminated vandal switch. they look really cool and have a really nice feel to them when you click them.

For the mosfets i installed mine with the heatsinks.

May 26, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #852 of 3,218
Thanks guys. Do any of you with a balanced b22 have an issue with it being too loud? I'm using the balanced outs from a PS Audio DLIII and a Twisted Pear JT2 attenuator and I can barely go 1/4 of a turn before it goes from mute to earblowing. Also there is too much volume difference between the steps around my preferred listening volume. My b22 boards have the gain at 2x (4x overall). I know I could modify the resistor values on the JT2 but perhaps there is a more elegant solution.

May 26, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #853 of 3,218
Quote:

Thanks guys. Do any of you with a balanced b22 have an issue with it being too loud? I'm using the balanced outs from a PS Audio DLIII and a Twisted Pear JT2 attenuator and I can barely go 1/4 of a turn before it goes from mute to earblowing. Also there is too much volume difference between the steps around my preferred listening volume. My b22 boards have the gain at 2x (4x overall). I know I could modify the resistor values on the JT2 but perhaps there is a more elegant solution.

Well you can’t reduce the gain anymore over the β22 boards, don’t know much about the JT2. Once you get the gain right the ratio between the steps will be a lot more subtle.

May 26, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #854 of 3,218
Quote:

I have built both a 2x and 5x gain balanced B22 with JTs. I have not head any problems with to much gain or large differences in attenuator steps. I would say either something is wrong with the JT, you balanced IEMs, or you listen too quietly
smily_headphones1.gif
What headphones are you using?

May 27, 2009 at 5:59 AM Post #855 of 3,218
Quote:

It might be your DAC. I think DLIII has higher than average output voltage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back