Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end headphones/IEMS
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 4, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #3,436 of 4,743
true criticism is fine but i would never blindly follow any reviewers, hope you dont get to go through what i went through, I had bought one such product from one such manufacturer who was a very active member at that time and it was a horrible product, all because i took someone's word and fell for the hype. at that time all the top reviewers made it sound like it was the second coming of christ ... when u save up 1400$ and buy something that is sub par.. (yes i met other people who bought the same thing and had the same issues on this very forum) from a so called top manufacturer... it makes you have a look at things from a different perspective all together.  

after that incident, i trust my own ears, buy products that i like.. not on reviews, not on measurements, not on someone calling it shameful or the absolute best. because that someone might just be trying it out with "something" that didnt suit that particular setup or that someone might just be pushing a particular brand for reasons best known to him, and if that means taking a trip to canjam and listening to all the things that interest me and then taking a call. yea i do that... cuz i work hard and i promised myself i would never let this happen to me ever again. speaking of impractical... that qp1r wheel though...  

May 4, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #3,437 of 4,743
  true criticism is fine but i would never blindly follow any reviewers, hope you dont get to go through what i went through, I had bought one such product from one such manufacturer who was a very active member at that time and it was a horrible product, all because i took someone's word and fell for the hype. at that time all the top reviewers made it sound like it was the second coming of christ ... when u save up 1400$ and buy something that is sub par.. (yes i met other people who bought the same thing and had the same issues on this very forum) from a so called top manufacturer... it makes you have a look at things from a different perspective all together.  

after that incident, i trust my own ears, buy products that i like.. not on reviews, not on measurements, not on someone calling it shameful or the absolute best. because that someone might just be trying it out with "something" that didnt suit that particular setup or that someone might just be pushing a particular brand for reasons best known to him, and if that means taking a trip to canjam and listening to all the things that interest me and then taking a call. yea i do that... cuz i work hard and i promised myself i would never let this happen to me ever again. speaking of impractical... that qp1r wheel though...  

That QP1R wheel had problems when it first came out with FW 1.02 & then got updated with FW 1.04. The problem has been solved with FW 1.05 but I am still waiting for them to introduce the alphabetical scroll function, until that happens it is not a perfect wheel . Besides, if anyone has used the QP1R, they know that there is a page up down option which also substitutes for it and performs the very same function the wheel is capable of. 

May 5, 2016 at 2:54 AM Post #3,439 of 4,743
  Got these few days back, tremendously under rated dynamic IEMs, I must say, especially considering a brand new costed me around $159. 

Wow wow wow. These are the early japanese versions are they not? great price too
Hows the soundstage? And do you find the treble peaky?

@ShreyasMax : I believe these are the Sony EX800st studio monitors. Very similar(near identical) to the MDR7550 and EX1000.

May 5, 2016 at 4:16 AM Post #3,440 of 4,743
  Wow wow wow. These are the early japanese versions are they not? great price too
Hows the soundstage? And do you find the treble peaky?

@ShreyasMax : I believe these are the Sony EX800st studio monitors. Very similar(near identical) to the MDR7550 and EX1000.

@getclikinagas Soundstage is massive for an IEM. Bigger than an un-amped Ocharaku Flat 4 for sure. They don't feel like an IEM when you put them on, more like a headphone as presentation is wide. With the default ear-tips aka sony ear tips they sound  a bit forward in the vocals, but with the Velvet (Earsonics) ear tips that gets tamed. Only advisable to carry these while having a walk in a quiet neighbourhood as they don't have the best isolation, although better than Flat 4. 

@ShreyasMax This is the Japanese version of Sony MDR EX 7550, only found in Japan. EX800ST has identical dynamic drivers like the MDR EX1000, with the difference being, 800ST AKA 7550 having a smaller tube and a plastic housing (Compared to the EX1000 constructed of Magnesium and Plastic). I have not heard the EX 1000, but as per a lot of other users of both the IEMs,  EX 1000 is a bit sibilant in the treble ( slightly bigger sound stage) with lesser sub-bass (tad bit more details are presented in the bass than the 800ST). I will post some impressions after using them for at least a month.

May 5, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #3,443 of 4,743
Not sure. This is just news that was announced at the Fujiya Avic Spring Festival. If they release a QP2 then there is bound to be a reference version in the future, they do that with all their products not only the QP1 variant.

About the Opus 1 I'm not that sure, few days back Nathan posted a review about a Mojo-Kai by MST audio which has a balanced out and he compared it with AK 380, DP-X1 and Opus 1 and he called the performance of AK380 and DP-X1 shameful with the Opus 1 being "Not Terribly High Quality". I tend to trust his opinions. 

Thanks for mentioning Mojo-Kai. Loved reading: "....The results are ugly. The DP-X1 outputs 328x more THD and 128x more IMD at maximum stable volumes under the same load; at 4191x the THD and 3441x the IMD, and especially at its asking price and against its ultimate marketing, the AK380 deserves to be thrown from the tallest building, drowned it a year’s worth of rock-concert sludge, and then blue angeled to a fine powder before being sniffed by next-year’s juvenile delinquents..."
http://ohm-image.net/data/audio/rmaa-mst-audio-mojo-kai-balanced-24-bit

May 5, 2016 at 8:38 PM Post #3,444 of 4,743
We're talking USD 400 to 700 to mod a USD 600 product for improved measurements? Honestly, if money wasn't an issue I'd just go out and buy whatever AK's current flagship is. I think the AK380 (single ended) sounds quite brilliant and the user experience is just far nicer than anything out there. If a DAP is used mainly on the go, I really doubt the impact these little difference can make on the overall experience, how much "critical" listening can one do on the go!

Need to check out the AK300 soon, its more affordable than the rest of the line, although you do pay a fat premium like all their other stuff. 

May 5, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #3,445 of 4,743
@getclikinagas Soundstage is massive for an IEM. Bigger than an un-amped Ocharaku Flat 4 for sure. They don't feel like an IEM when you put them on, more like a headphone as presentation is wide. With the default ear-tips aka sony ear tips they sound  a bit forward in the vocals, but with the Velvet (Earsonics) ear tips that gets tamed. Only advisable to carry these while having a walk in a quiet neighbourhood as they don't have the best isolation, although better than Flat 4. 

@ShreyasMax
 This is the Japanese version of Sony MDR EX 7550, only found in Japan. EX800ST has identical dynamic drivers like the MDR EX1000, with the difference being, 800ST AKA 7550 having a smaller tube and a plastic housing (Compared to the EX1000 constructed of Magnesium and Plastic). I have not heard the EX 1000, but as per a lot of other users of both the IEMs,  EX 1000 is a bit sibilant in the treble ( slightly bigger sound stage) with lesser sub-bass (tad bit more details are presented in the bass than the 800ST). I will post some impressions after using them for at least a month.

Thanks for the info, I have heard a lot of good about the EX1000. Shall await your detailed description on these.

May 5, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #3,446 of 4,743
  We're talking USD 400 to 700 to mod a USD 600 product for improved measurements? Honestly, if money wasn't an issue I'd just go out and buy whatever AK's current flagship is. I think the AK380 (single ended) sounds quite brilliant and the user experience is just far nicer than anything out there. If a DAP is used mainly on the go, I really doubt the impact these little difference can make on the overall experience, how much "critical" listening can one do on the go!

Need to check out the AK300 soon, its more affordable than the rest of the line, although you do pay a fat premium like all their other stuff. 

The single ended AK 380 might be great, but at that price they should've implemented a better OS platform so that people can use Tidal & Spotify along with a better battery life, also a better screen & back protection mechanism, as at that price they don't even have gorilla glass or any other high standard front and back protection. But the AK 300 on the other hand looks promising at $900. AK have been pushed to this extent to lower prices as other manufacturers are offering bang for the buck experience at less than 1/3rd to even 2/3 rd the cost. 

You should also try the AK Mezo hi-fi mod. I have heard  good things about it. 

May 6, 2016 at 1:00 AM Post #3,447 of 4,743
Hey @kausik1946... Look forward to reading your review. I'd also love to hear about your experience at headphone zone.
smily_headphones1.gif

Headphone Zone is the best site in India to buy headphones. It has the best world-class headphone collection. Communication is also very excellent. Although after buying the RHA headphone I did not recieve any shipping details and I have already got the headphone. The headphone is very good and till now I am loving it.

May 6, 2016 at 1:19 AM Post #3,448 of 4,743
I'm also from India.I'm living in Gujarat.Have bought RHA 750,VE MONK and waiting for SHOZY ZERO....So far I'm highly impressed from the tonalty and synergy of VE MONK...at 5$ they are SUPER DUPER AWESOME...I should also say the 750s are also too good,they're having wider soundstage and better instrument seperation...Using iphone 6s and Macbook pro retina 2015 as a source.

May 6, 2016 at 3:18 AM Post #3,449 of 4,743

Thanks for mentioning Mojo-Kai. Loved reading: "....The results are ugly. The DP-X1 outputs 328x more THD and 128x more IMD at maximum stable volumes under the same load; at 4191x the THD and 3441x the IMD, and especially at its asking price and against its ultimate marketing, the AK380 deserves to be thrown from the tallest building, drowned it a year’s worth of rock-concert sludge, and then blue angeled to a fine powder before being sniffed by next-year’s juvenile delinquents..."
http://ohm-image.net/data/audio/rmaa-mst-audio-mojo-kai-balanced-24-bit

On a separate note, check this out. I don' know what to call this, even audiophiles or portable audiophiles/enthusiasts might find this an overkill. 

May 6, 2016 at 4:48 AM Post #3,450 of 4,743
  I'm also from India.I'm living in Gujarat.Have bought RHA 750,VE MONK and waiting for SHOZY ZERO....So far I'm highly impressed from the tonalty and synergy of VE MONK...at 5$ they are SUPER DUPER AWESOME...I should also say the 750s are also too good,they're having wider soundstage and better instrument seperation...Using iphone 6s and Macbook pro retina 2015 as a source.

here is my Monk Plus with the Opus#1. waiting for Shozy ZERO aswell.. heard it in singapore and i had to order a pair.. Meet its gonna be your new favourite once you hear it. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back