Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end headphones/IEMS
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #3,424 of 4,743
Good stuff! What do you do with so many DAPs! Time to go for a IEM upgrade.

I like the UI on the Opus and keep reading of issues with the QP1R like it restarting during playback. Still on the fence here when it comes to a new DAP.

That is not even an issue, there are still people who forget  to turn off the Idle Power Off or aren't even aware about it. The idle power off features was introduced in the FW 1.05 update, since then people who didn't tweak the default settings have complained about it. One just needs to go to system settings and turn it off and problem solved. 

May 3, 2016 at 1:29 AM Post #3,425 of 4,743
Good stuff! What do you do with so many DAPs! Time to go for a IEM upgrade.

I like the UI on the Opus and keep reading of issues with the QP1R like it restarting during playback. Still on the fence here when it comes to a new DAP.

wanted to see how far mid tier dap's have come in terms of price vs performance and confused between the QP1R and PAW gold after your comparison haha maybe ill listen to them on my next trip and i also needed to save up for a high end iem so went for the opus. 
Looking forward to the DAPathon!

Enjoy

yep its gonna be a fun couple of weeks ahead. 

May 4, 2016 at 7:15 AM Post #3,427 of 4,743
wanted to see how far mid tier dap's have come in terms of price vs performance and confused between the QP1R and PAW gold after your comparison haha maybe ill listen to them on my next trip and i also needed to save up for a high end iem so went for the opus. 

yep its gonna be a fun couple of weeks ahead. 

How does Shozy Alien sounds? Is it better then fiio x3

May 4, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #3,428 of 4,743
yessir it is.. better then the x3 easily and on par and with "some gear" better then x5 aswell, but keep in mind that it only plays wav and flac, no mp3.. plus no screen..  if all you care about is SQ .. then yes, to -me- its a much better player then the x3. 

May 4, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #3,429 of 4,743
Got the Trinity Audio Engineering Delta hybrids a week ago. Excellent value for money and filter swapping to my surprise makes a very significant difference. The VE Monks are sitting at the post office, will pick them up on the weekend.

That Alien would be an instant buy for me if it had a screen, Null Audio has it at 20% off right now I think.....about USD 170. Using the AK100 now and its not so bad, might just put of buying a DAP until iBasso comes out with their new flagship. I'm also thinking of auditioning the LP5 Pro soon, it has pretty much everything I want in a DAP.

May 4, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #3,430 of 4,743
Got the Trinity Audio Engineering Delta hybrids a week ago. Excellent value for money and filter swapping to my surprise makes a very significant difference. The VE Monks are sitting at the post office, will pick them up on the weekend.

That Alien would be an instant buy for me if it had a screen, Null Audio has it at 20% off right now I think.....about USD 170. Using the AK100 now and its not so bad, might just put of buying a DAP until iBasso comes out with their new flagship. I'm also thinking of auditioning the LP5 Pro soon, it has pretty much everything I want in a DAP.

Great, I even heard Questyle QP2 will be released very soon, with balanced headphone out at $599. I'm not excited about the prospect of balanced out though. 

May 4, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #3,431 of 4,743
A well done single ended output would suffice for me too. The Mojo, LPG, QP1R etc and even top tier stuff like the ALO studio six are all single ended.

I've owned my fair share of balanced gear. The ALO International, Oppo HA-1, RSA Protector, RSA SR71B, Lotoo PAW 5000, CLAS Solo -dB and the Glove Audio A1. I'd say only the Oppo, SR71B and Glove Audio A1 made a significant difference (with full size cans). Pretty pointless in a DAP for my usage with IEMs. The Opus1 though is supposed to be better from the balanced out, everyone seems to concur with this point of view.

There's no QP1R replacement slated is there? Judging by price alone, it will still remain their flagship DAP?

May 4, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #3,432 of 4,743
A well done single ended output would suffice for me too. The Mojo, LPG, QP1R etc and even top tier stuff like the ALO studio six are all single ended.

I've owned my fair share of balanced gear. The ALO International, Oppo HA-1, RSA Protector, RSA SR71B, Lotoo PAW 5000, CLAS Solo -dB and the Glove Audio A1. I'd say only the Oppo, SR71B and Glove Audio A1 made a significant difference (with full size cans). Pretty pointless in a DAP for my usage with IEMs. The Opus1 though is supposed to be better from the balanced out, everyone seems to concur with this point of view.

There's no QP1R replacement slated is there? Judging by price alone, it will still remain their flagship DAP?

Not sure. This is just news that was announced at the Fujiya Avic Spring Festival. If they release a QP2 then there is bound to be a reference version in the future, they do that with all their products not only the QP1 variant.

About the Opus 1 I'm not that sure, few days back Nathan posted a review about a Mojo-Kai by MST audio which has a balanced out and he compared it with AK 380, DP-X1 and Opus 1 and he called the performance of AK380 and DP-X1 shameful with the Opus 1 being "Not Terribly High Quality". I tend to trust his opinions. 

May 4, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #3,434 of 4,743

About the Opus 1 I'm not that sure, few days back Nathan posted a review about a Mojo-Kai by MST audio which has a balanced out and he compared it with AK 380, DP-X1 and Opus 1 and he called the performance of AK380 and DP-X1 shameful with the Opus 1 being "Not Terribly High Quality". I tend to trust his opinions. 

after all the time ive spent on head-fi, i have realized that it is best to trust your own ears and make your own opinions. 

measurements does not = good or bad sound. ... there is something about good synergy aswell. Sound is so subjective its not even funny. You might love something and another person might totally hate it and vice versa.. I tend to move cautiously now and not fall for hype anymore! haha

May 4, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #3,435 of 4,743

after all the time ive spent on head-fi, i have realized that it is best to trust your own ears and make your own opinions. 

measurements does not = good or bad sound. ... there is something about good synergy aswell. Sound is so subjective its not even funny. You might love something and another person might totally hate it and vice versa.. I tend to move cautiously now and not fall for hype anymore! haha

Subjective interpretations of SQ is something I can agree with, although when it comes to low volume hiss/distortion or low resistance (OI) in cables causing SQ to change in headphones/IEMs the least, the subjectivity argument falls apart. There are very few guys out there who's word I can take on face as most people tend to deviate in their judgment when a new product is released and there is a bunch of stock piling in the warehouse ready to be shipped. Criticism is healthy in this domain even for the best manufacturers, along with the ones making horrible, impractical  below the par products. Hype and criticism are not equals. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back