Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end headphones/IEMS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 27, 2016 at 4:44 AM Post #3,406 of 4,743
  Just a regular fan! Can't pick a single favourite but the ones I do like the most are Moon and Bonham like most people do, along with Ginger Baker from Cream and Mitch Mitchell who played with Hendrix.

Seems you like a lot of British drummers of the Classic Rock era. Have you heard of a english band called XTC ? 

Apr 27, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #3,407 of 4,743
My on-the-go set up is complete for now.
  1. The Rockets are an indestructible spiritual match for my RE400 (sound and comfort wise). Ultra durable everything(Aramid, titanium etc), super tiny, easy to fit, excellent isolation, easy going sound with a beautiful midrange. Downsides : Seal can be slightly difficult to break (good and a bad thing, could do with a little more presence in highs)
  2. Elecom LBT-PAR500: 200mW into 16ohms(more than I'll ever need), the most incredible range I've ever seen in a bluetooth device (through two walls easy), no roll off, NFC, >9hrs battery(maybe more, not tested yet), excellent mic, AptX. Downsides: Finicky volume control, slightly larger than other BT devices

@xEcuToR : I missed your tag earlier. That "review" is more subjective opinion piece than review. More entertainment than buying advice.

Apr 27, 2016 at 10:35 PM Post #3,408 of 4,743

1. The Rockets are an indestructible spiritual match for my RE400 (sound and comfort wise). Ultra durable everything(Aramid, titanium etc), super tiny, easy to fit, excellent isolation, easy going sound with a beautiful midrange. Downsides : Seal can be slightly difficult to break (good and a bad thing, could do with a little more presence in highs)
  2. Elecom LBT-PAR500: 200mW into 16ohms(more than I'll ever need), the most incredible range I've ever seen in a bluetooth device (through two walls easy), no roll off, NFC, >9hrs battery(maybe more, not tested yet), excellent mic, AptX. Downsides: Finicky volume control, slightly larger than other BT devices

@xEcuToR : I missed your tag earlier. That "review" is more subjective opinion piece than review. More entertainment than buying advice.

Good going Agas, great setup.
I'm looking to get a pair of IEM's myself, to replace my Havi B3 Pro1, and will read into the rockets' sound. 

And what exactly is that bluetooth device? Do you connect your IEM to it and listen from your smartphone? If so, does it improve the sound (since bluetooth, as far as I know, doesn't exactly improve the audio output)? Anyway it looks pretty convenient to use.

Cheers,
Shreyas

Apr 28, 2016 at 12:04 AM Post #3,409 of 4,743
  Good going Agas, great setup.
I'm looking to get a pair of IEM's myself, to replace my Havi B3 Pro1, and will read into the rockets' sound. 

And what exactly is that bluetooth device? Do you connect your IEM to it and listen from your smartphone? If so, does it improve the sound (since bluetooth, as far as I know, doesn't exactly improve the audio output)? Anyway it looks pretty convenient to use.

Cheers,
Shreyas

The Elecom is a Bluetooth receiver and is used exactly as you described.

Bluetooth audio quality as of today goes beyond the BT technology alone. Parameters that matter include the design of the receiver (amplification, roll off, harmonic distortion, output impedance etc), IEM power requirement, codec support on both receiver and transmitter (like aptX which was designed to deliver CD quality audio without loss of sound quality). The current myth that Bluetooth audio is inherently crappy is an old perception (that may have been true in the past) that stuck.
ClieOS puts succinctly :
  My opinion is, it is often not the limitation of aptX, but the analog (amp) stage of the BT receiver that let the SQ down (and as James pointed out, the headphone too). While admitting that aptX is not really true lossless per se, a lot of people just discouraged by aptX because they had have some bad experience with BT audio in the past, without realizing how much BT audio has advanced over the last few years. Even worst, some just read how BT's SQ sucks over the internet and started to repeat the same hearsay without themselves trying the better BT solution out there first hand. It is just as bad as giving opinion on any piece of gear without any personal experience.

On the other hand, I am pretty happy to see aptX Low Latency is starting to get more traction.

I think the Elecom has a very good analog stage and I cannot perceive a significant difference between wired (LG G2, Sansa Clip, Sony E444) vs Elecom BT(LG G2 aptX). Most importantly, I do not notice coloring to the sound.
I also have a lot of headroom(volume) with all my IEMs including the moderately hard-to-drive Havi. At 200mW into 16 ohms I think it wouldn't be absurd to try a few portable cans as well. I do get hiss with very sensitive IEMs like my Ostry KC06 (Should have included that as a downside).

It has a mic, Fwd/Rev button, play/pause button, Vol+/- rocker, Hold slider, BT pair button, a clip on the back, instant pairing via NFC. All this means I don't have to reach for my phone(even to connect), unless I want to select a particular track, which is not a priority on-the-go. All this for ~50$
Peter has posted a nice review on the device.

PS: I'll A/B the Havi and Rockets over the weekend and give you a rundown.

Apr 28, 2016 at 2:02 AM Post #3,410 of 4,743

Looks like a great setup. The rockets were in Joker's buying guide last year or this year, so it should be a great IEM. I also have a headphone, which comes with couple of Aramid Fiber cables, Aedle VK-1. One of them were in the room during our meet attached to the Portaphile 627X. Bluetooth audio has certainly come a long way and as time goes by wirleess audiophile headphones will be a reality in our life time. I recently added 3 IEMs to my list, 2 for casual and 1 for home use. I'll post some photos when they come. 

And about the article I'l tell you this, there was use of so many adjectives and audiophile mime words that I was thoroughly entertained, like when I watch a Joe Don Baker movie or movies like Manos The Hands of Fate, The Castle of Fu Man-Chu, Rollergator the list goes on and on.  Lets see what words were used

1. Amaze/Amazing -11 Times
2. Real/Really/Realistic- 19 Times 
3. Natural- 26 Times
4. Great- 4 Times
5. Detail/Detailed-37 Times 
6. Texture- 9 Times 
8. More- 37 Times (Comparative) 
9. Lifelike/ Life- 11 Times 
10. Very- 41 Times (Emphasis) 
11. Good- 8 Times 

The orpheus reference in the end was the icing on the cake.

Apr 28, 2016 at 7:18 AM Post #3,411 of 4,743
Guys, I want to buy a T50RP MK3 with ZMF pads
http://www.zmfheadphones.com/order-the-zmf/fostex-t50rp-mk-iii-with-zmf-pads

Fostex is offering a $50 CB for the headphones but only for US address. Any idea if we can get the rebate too? No family/friend in US right now :frowning2:

What a great piece of planars at great price. Would hate to miss them. 

Apr 28, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #3,412 of 4,743
The Elecom is a Bluetooth receiver and is used exactly as you described.

Bluetooth audio quality as of today goes beyond the BT technology alone. Parameters that matter include the design of the receiver (amplification, roll off, harmonic distortion, output impedance etc), IEM power requirement, codec support on both receiver and transmitter (like aptX which was designed to deliver CD quality audio without loss of sound quality). The current myth that Bluetooth audio is inherently crappy is an old perception (that may have been true in the past) that stuck.
ClieOS puts succinctly :

I think the Elecom has a very good analog stage and I cannot perceive a significant difference between wired (LG G2, Sansa Clip, Sony E444) vs Elecom BT(LG G2 aptX). Most importantly, I do not notice coloring to the sound.
I also have a lot of headroom(volume) with all my IEMs including the moderately hard-to-drive Havi. At 200mW into 16 ohms I think it wouldn't be absurd to try a few portable cans as well. I do get hiss with very sensitive IEMs like my Ostry KC06 (Should have included that as a downside).

It has a mic, Fwd/Rev button, play/pause button, Vol+/- rocker, Hold slider, BT pair button, a clip on the back, instant pairing via NFC. All this means I don't have to reach for my phone(even to connect), unless I want to select a particular track, which is not a priority on-the-go. All this for ~50$
Peter has posted a nice review on the device.

PS: I'll A/B the Havi and Rockets over the weekend and give you a rundown.

Thanks for the detailed info!

And appreciate the IEM comparisons; looking forward, cheers.

Apr 29, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #3,413 of 4,743
Been trying to sell my Grados since more than a month now , no luck on Indian forums . If any of the guys here are looking for it or know friends who are interested , please ping. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/805469/grado-sr-325i-sr-225i-india

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back