Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end headphones/IEMS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 18, 2015 at 4:09 AM Post #2,671 of 4,743
  Hey Agasthya & Abhinit..

Yeah the dates for Headphone Connect are confirmed. We're just tieing up the details on what the line up of headphones should be. Some more products in addition to the ones above are Master & Dynamics range of Headphones including the MH40 & MH30, we've got Romanian brand Meze Headphones' Classic 99 which will be unveiled in India for the first time, and HiFiman is likely to make its presence felt with an extensive line up. Beyerdynamic is unveiling the new DT1770 Pro for the first time in Asia. Sony will make their new Hi-Res range including the MDR-Z7 and the PHA3 available. AKG is likely to have an extensive new line up available. The FiiO M3 should hopefully be there in time for Mumbai but will definitely be there for the other cities.

We've not yet finalized how the Rs. 1000 access pass works. The idea is simple. Most people who are coming down to Headphone Connect are genuinely interested in listening to high end gear, and are usually extremely well informed about the event and the headphones. However, not everyone wants to bring down their gear, sometimes they're first time headphone enthusiasts, and every once in a while someone with a stock iPod pair of Earphones decides to bring that with them. This wasn't really a problem until we realised that the invite list for Headphone Connect had grown from about 300 people to over 2000 people. Unfortunately we just cannot accomodate more than 40-50 guys per event. So we just need to make sure that we disincentivise the people who want to join us for reasons apart from the Headphones. 

So, one of the opinions that was shared with us, was that we make the event itself with an entry of Rs. 1000 which includes 2 beers and short eats and a Rs. 1000 gift card that is redeemable against any gear purchases, where everyone is welcome to bring their best gear, rather than making it a compulsary BYOG event. But, all Head-Fiers get an invite with a Rs. 1000 discount, all past event attendees get a Rs. 1000 discount, and all Headphone Zone customers get a Rs. 1000 discount, anyone else that anyone else knows and wants to invite to the event gets a Rs. 1000 discount. We should hopefully avoid more than 40-50 people showing up per event and will get the best guys from the community.

This is one of those things that we're sitting and fighting about like cats and dogs at Headphone Zone. Would you guys have an opinion on the matter? It would be extremely helpful. @getclikinagas @abhinit90 ...Thanks guys

looks like a great line up this time around. especially interested in beyerdynamic and hifiman models.

not sure will be able to come this time though, cause of job reasons.

I would request you to arrange for some electricity points made available for those who bring their amps. last time my amp sat unused cause of no power.

thanks

Talk about good news! And good timing too, especially because after completing a long awaited headphone upgrade, yours truly is ultra keen to try out the latest and greatest ear fodder put out by the likes of FiiO, Audeze, Master & Dynamic, et al.

Also looking forward to meeting up with all you fine folks, beer in one hand, a pizza slice in the other, and some fine tunes enjoyed through some fine gear.

Hi Shreyas, I would like to listen to your fidelio. unfortunately meet is not being possible cause my job time table has become unpredictable lately.

lets meet up once it becomes normal.

Nov 19, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #2,672 of 4,743
looks like a great line up this time around. especially interested in beyerdynamic and hifiman models.

not sure will be able to come this time though, cause of job reasons.

I would request you to arrange for some electricity points made available for those who bring their amps. last time my amp sat unused cause of no power.

thanks

Hi Shreyas, I would like to listen to your fidelio. unfortunately meet is not being possible cause my job time table has become unpredictable lately.

lets meet up once it becomes normal.

Hey Vaibhav, sure we can plan a meet up whenever you're free over a weekend.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the Fidelio. Lets see how it stacks up against your TOTL HD700 :)

Nov 20, 2015 at 4:53 AM Post #2,673 of 4,743
Hello Everyone,
Im glad to share with you guys here on Head-Fi, that Headphone Connect is back for a second tour this winter. And the line up and brands is even bigger and better. Headphone Connect, is a BYOG - Bring Your Own Gear Community meetup event and we encourage everyone to carry their gear along with them and join us for an evening of sharing, discovering, and listening into India's finest Headphones.

The events and cities this time around are going to be as below:

Mumbai - 28th November 
New Delhi - 5th December
Bangalore - 19th December
Chennai - 20th December
Hyderabad - 27th December

We have fantastic line up of brands, products that are gonna be available at Headphone Connect (in addition to the gear members bring with them) - @Audeze EL8, Audeze LCD3s,Xs,2s, Audeze Deckard, @RHA T20i, @RHA S500, Jaybird X2, @masterdynamic MH40 and MH30s, @V-Moda Crossfade Wireless, @FiiO X7 DAP, @FiiO Q1 DAC, Meze 99 Classics, @beyerdynamic DT1770, JAYS's q-jays, @RockJaw Audio Alfa Genus 2, @MEElec M6 Pro. 

We want to make Headphone Connect first and foremost about the Audiophile community in India, so as always, the event will be completely free for members of Head-Fi. While registering, just use a Coupon Code from the image below. :) 
For more information and to confirm your participation just click on the link below: http://www.headphonezone.in/pages/headphone-connect

Do let us know incase there are any headphones that you're looking to try out at the event, and we'll try out best to make sure that it'll be there.
Do feel free to get in touch for any questions, and we look forward to seeing you at Headphone Connect.

Nov 20, 2015 at 5:53 AM Post #2,674 of 4,743
I'm going to miss this time too :frowning2:
frown.gif

Nov 20, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #2,676 of 4,743
  Hello Everyone,
Im glad to share with you guys here on Head-Fi, that Headphone Connect is back for a second tour this winter. And the line up and brands is even bigger and better. Headphone Connect, is a BYOG - Bring Your Own Gear Community meetup event and we encourage everyone to carry their gear along with them and join us for an evening of sharing, discovering, and listening into India's finest Headphones.

The events and cities this time around are going to be as below:

Mumbai - 28th November 
New Delhi - 5th December
Bangalore - 19th December
Chennai - 20th December
Hyderabad - 27th December

We have fantastic line up of brands, products that are gonna be available at Headphone Connect (in addition to the gear members bring with them) - @Audeze EL8, Audeze LCD3s,Xs,2s, Audeze Deckard, @RHA T20i, @RHA S500, Jaybird X2, @masterdynamic MH40 and MH30s, @V-Moda Crossfade Wireless, @FiiO X7 DAP, @FiiO Q1 DAC, Meze 99 Classics, @beyerdynamic DT1770, JAYS's q-jays, @RockJaw Audio Alfa Genus 2, @MEElec M6 Pro. 

We want to make Headphone Connect first and foremost about the Audiophile community in India, so as always, the event will be completely free for members of Head-Fi. While registering, just use a Coupon Code from the image below. :) 
For more information and to confirm your participation just click on the link below: http://www.headphonezone.in/pages/headphone-connect

Do let us know incase there are any headphones that you're looking to try out at the event, and we'll try out best to make sure that it'll be there.
Do feel free to get in touch for any questions, and we look forward to seeing you at Headphone Connect.

Thanks for posting, I registered, will be getting all the stuff in my sig.

Devialet + HE-6 is really stunning.

Wonder....if I can also bring along KEF L-50 speakers.

Nov 25, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #2,677 of 4,743
  Hey Agasthya & Abhinit..

Yeah the dates for Headphone Connect are confirmed. We're just tieing up the details on what the line up of headphones should be. Some more products in addition to the ones above are Master & Dynamics range of Headphones including the MH40 & MH30, we've got Romanian brand Meze Headphones' Classic 99 which will be unveiled in India for the first time, and HiFiman is likely to make its presence felt with an extensive line up. Beyerdynamic is unveiling the new DT1770 Pro for the first time in Asia. Sony will make their new Hi-Res range including the MDR-Z7 and the PHA3 available. AKG is likely to have an extensive new line up available. The FiiO M3 should hopefully be there in time for Mumbai but will definitely be there for the other cities.

We've not yet finalized how the Rs. 1000 access pass works. The idea is simple. Most people who are coming down to Headphone Connect are genuinely interested in listening to high end gear, and are usually extremely well informed about the event and the headphones. However, not everyone wants to bring down their gear, sometimes they're first time headphone enthusiasts, and every once in a while someone with a stock iPod pair of Earphones decides to bring that with them. This wasn't really a problem until we realised that the invite list for Headphone Connect had grown from about 300 people to over 2000 people. Unfortunately we just cannot accomodate more than 40-50 guys per event. So we just need to make sure that we disincentivise the people who want to join us for reasons apart from the Headphones. 

So, one of the opinions that was shared with us, was that we make the event itself with an entry of Rs. 1000 which includes 2 beers and short eats and a Rs. 1000 gift card that is redeemable against any gear purchases, where everyone is welcome to bring their best gear, rather than making it a compulsary BYOG event. But, all Head-Fiers get an invite with a Rs. 1000 discount, all past event attendees get a Rs. 1000 discount, and all Headphone Zone customers get a Rs. 1000 discount, anyone else that anyone else knows and wants to invite to the event gets a Rs. 1000 discount. We should hopefully avoid more than 40-50 people showing up per event and will get the best guys from the community.

This is one of those things that we're sitting and fighting about like cats and dogs at Headphone Zone. Would you guys have an opinion on the matter? It would be extremely helpful. @getclikinagas @abhinit90 ...Thanks guys

@raghavsomani
Given the fact that the invite list has grown to 2000, the entry fee makes sense. The 4 digit number is a little jarring is all. The selective discount increases the chances of people likely to bring their own gear will turn up. Any other exclusion criteria like 'list/type of gear to be eligible' would take the decision out of the visitors hands. And that is never good.

Ont the whole, the access pass makes sense (even ~200 people are expected). But one of the goals is to bring more people into the hobby. So one thing I would add is a "limited number" of free/discounted passes on a first come first serve basis(along with one line on why they would like to attend). This is for the people who are curious enough to register, type and go through the check out process.

Regarding the meet itself, here's my suggestion list:
  • Please please increase the duration of the event. 3 hours in nowhere near enough to interact AND listen to the gear especially if more people and gear are expected this time.
  • Member gear table/area separate from non-member gear.
  • Indication of products that are available for purchase from Headphonezone: Could be as simple as putting a small yellow sticker on the side.
  • Plastic stands (like this) with IEM name on it arranged next to each other: This way visitors know where to place them after listening. Else it's a jumble by the end.
  • As many media players as possible: Not high end players. Something like the M3/X1.
  • As many SD cards as there are players: Marked with permanent ink to differentiate. Equal mix of popular music in diverse genres. Tracks to be named as Artist/Band_genre_song.
  • Power strips: A least a couple for easy access anywhere.
  • Hand sanitizer/wipes: To clean silicone eartips.
  • More headphone AMPs for Audeze/Beyer headphones.

Some out-there suggestions:
  • Wireless NAS drive(with music) that can be accessed through any phone/laptop at the event.
  • Keep a book/sheet around with the following format: Name | Favorite gear at the event | Suggestions (Optional)

Now to the gear I'm hoping to listen to:

AKGK3003, K 701, K702, K712Pro, N90Q :wink:
AudezeEL8, EL8C, LCD 2, 3, X, 'Audeze: The King' :wink:
Audio-TechnicaIM70, MSR7, CKR9
Beats By Dr. DreSolo2, Tour 2.0
BeyerdynamicDT880pro, DT990pro, DT1770
Bowers & WilkinsP7, P5 wireless
ComplyAcoustic Foam Plugs
FiiIOX3 II, X5 II, M3, X7+K5, Q1, EX1
JaybirdX2
JAYSq-jays
KossKSC75
MEEaudioAF62 Matrix 2, A161P
RHAT20, S500
SennheiserHD600, Momentum
ShureSE535, SE846, SRH1540
SonyA1AP, A3, Z5, Z7, MDR-100AAP h.ear on
V-MODACrossfade wireless, Them shiny shields :)
Master and DynamicMH40, MH30
Meze99 Classics

You see why we need more time?
triportsad.gif

Nov 25, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #2,678 of 4,743
  @raghavsomani
Given the fact that the invite list has grown to 2000, the entry fee makes sense. The 4 digit number is a little jarring is all. The selective discount increases the chances of people likely to bring their own gear will turn up. Any other exclusion criteria like 'list/type of gear to be eligible' would take the decision out of the visitors hands. And that is never good.

Ont the whole, the access pass makes sense (even ~200 people are expected). But one of the goals is to bring more people into the hobby. So one thing I would add is a "limited number" of free/discounted passes on a first come first serve basis(along with one line on why they would like to attend). This is for the people who are curious enough to register, type and go through the check out process.

Regarding the meet itself, here's my suggestion list:
  • Please please increase the duration of the event. 3 hours in nowhere near enough to interact AND listen to the gear especially if more people and gear are expected this time.
  • Member gear table/area separate from non-member gear.
  • Indication of products that are available for purchase from Headphonezone: Could be as simple as putting a small yellow sticker on the side.
  • Plastic stands (like this) with IEM name on it arranged next to each other: This way visitors know where to place them after listening. Else it's a jumble by the end.
  • As many media players as possible: Not high end players. Something like the M3/X1.
  • As many SD cards as there are players: Marked with permanent ink to differentiate. Equal mix of popular music in diverse genres. Tracks to be named as Artist/Band_genre_song.
  • Power strips: A least a couple for easy access anywhere.
  • Hand sanitizer/wipes: To clean silicone eartips.
  • More headphone AMPs for Audeze/Beyer headphones.

Some out-there suggestions:
  • Wireless NAS drive(with music) that can be accessed through any phone/laptop at the event.
  • Keep a book/sheet around with the following format: Name | Favorite gear at the event | Suggestions (Optional)

Now to the gear I'm hoping to listen to:

AKGK3003, K 701, K702, K712Pro, N90Q :wink:
AudezeEL8, EL8C, LCD 2, 3, X, 'Audeze: The King' :wink:
Audio-TechnicaIM70, MSR7, CKR9
Beats By Dr. DreSolo2, Tour 2.0
BeyerdynamicDT880pro, DT990pro, DT1770
Bowers & WilkinsP7, P5 wireless
ComplyAcoustic Foam Plugs
FiiIOX3 II, X5 II, M3, X7+K5, Q1, EX1
JaybirdX2
JAYSq-jays
KossKSC75
MEEaudioAF62 Matrix 2, A161P
RHAT20, S500
SennheiserHD600, Momentum
ShureSE535, SE846, SRH1540
SonyA1AP, A3, Z5, Z7, MDR-100AAP h.ear on
V-MODACrossfade wireless, Them shiny shields :)
Master and DynamicMH40, MH30
Meze99 Classics

You see why we need more time?
triportsad.gif

Agree with you on all points Agas, especially on the discount/ free limited passes for the newly interested, and also with regard to more time needed to catch up, chat, and also get a bit of solid listening time on the IEMs/ cans. This was something faced last time around, and although the Audezes were too tempting to not spend time with, I ended up spending more time chatting away than actually listening to music for any significant amount of time, except for the said Audezes and RHA T20. I didn't spend any time at all with the V-Modas, which I had thought of checking out.

This leads me to suggest having a separate area for over-ear cans, and a separate one for IEMs and closed cans, as it did get a little crowded last time, and I'm sure there would be definitely some over-ear cans folks would bring of their own, myself included. 

And as for the list of gear to listen to, it sure is getting a lot more exciting, especially looking at your list (AKG K3003? I'm sold!).

So here's hoping Raghav & co. come calling with more time, more folks and lots more stuff to listen to! (3.00 p.m - 8.00 p.m should be good for starters, eh.) :)

Nov 26, 2015 at 3:26 AM Post #2,679 of 4,743
Dec 4, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #2,681 of 4,743
Out of excitement I paid full amount when I saw mail a month back! From Chennai, currently the city is worse shape possible....hopefully things gets better, still Dec 20 could be too early for a meetup of this kind. If I ever attend it would be great to have audition HiFiMan products and also if HeadphoneZone could bring Oppo PM-3 that would be awesome!

Dec 6, 2015 at 2:44 AM Post #2,682 of 4,743
  Out of excitement I paid full amount when I saw mail a month back! From Chennai, currently the city is worse shape possible....hopefully things gets better, still Dec 20 could be too early for a meetup of this kind. If I ever attend it would be great to have audition HiFiMan products and also if HeadphoneZone could bring Oppo PM-3 that would be awesome!

Attended Headphone Connect Delhi yesterday (will post impressions soon); I don't think they'll be able to put together an event in Chennai now, I would suggest you speak to Raghav directly (he's put his contact number in one of the emails) about the payment and refund etc. As of now they've planned the next event at Bangalore on the 20th. 

As for Hifiman and Oppo, I second your wishlist and I'm sure the Headphone zone team will try their best to rope in more and more brands in the near future.

Dec 6, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #2,683 of 4,743
Alright folks, so here go the impressions at Headphone Connect Delhi - Round 2!

Firstly, thanks to the HPZ team again for hosting the event, and also The Pint Room & Fat Lulu's for providing the space and food, and drink to complement the gear on show. Well done folks!

Apologies in advance for not clicking any pics, as I was firstly too pre-occupied with the stuff to demo and chat away, and also I didn't have a good camera at hand, nor am I a good clicker anyway!

So to start off, I picked the MH40 by Master & Dynamic, which is rated pretty highly by many a good reviewer online and was on my target list to demo. The sound was good, but didn't impress as much as I had expected. Of course do keep in mind that these are only first impressions, at an event, so do take the opinions with a pinch of salt by the side. I thought the upper mids were slightly harsh, a bit similar to my Denon AH-D340. But overall I judged I needed more time with these to form solid impressions. 
Their own MH30 on-ear model was pretty impressive at first listen, pretty neutral and clear sound, which somehow sounded better than the MH40, YMMV.

Next up I tried the EX1 by the very popular FiiO, which is a re-branded Dunu Titan 1 in actuality. Raghav told me they sounded the same as the Titan 1, so I expect many of you guys to be pretty familiar with its sound. To my ears they sounded pretty good, although I doubt whether at 5999 INR they're a good value option, as I feel there are other options (in IEMs) out there at significantly lower prices (around the 2500-3000 INR range), offering equal if not better sound quality. 

I then headed to the table occupied by the Sony reps, which was a very good sight indeed, them being a big company (albeit struggling nowadays), attending an event like this to judge how the higher end headphone and portable audio market is evolving here. A step in the right direction in my opinion.

--------------------------- <To be continued >-----------------------------------

Dec 7, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #2,684 of 4,743
------------ Headphone Connect, Delhi - Impressions - <Contd. from above>--------------------

So the Sony table was also one of the main highlights for me, as they had brought their flagship MDR Z7 headphones and some other goodies as well. But since the flagships were being used by someone else, I shifted my attention to an over-ear headphone which had typical Sony looks all over it; metallic pink all over, cable included. The cable was removable as well, and most of all, I saw the 12,990 INR price tag, and the 'Hi-Res Audio' logo as well. This was connected to an A15 Walkman, which is apparently going to be launched in India in Feb 2016, also red in colour.

"Interesting.." I thought to myself, and after a brief chat with the Sony rep (who was very genuinely interested in the event and user feedback by the way), I picked up the MDR 100 AAP headphones, which is the official name of the headphone I described above, and listened to some Hi-Res tracks saved in the demo unit of the Walkman. The sound was good; the MJ tracks sounded very detailed indeed.This got me really interested, and I plugged in the headphones to my own trusty combo of the FiiO X3 + E12A, and the cans sounded very good indeed. No harshness anywhere, good fit and comfort, and most of all the sound was clear and fairly neutral in my opinion. A relaxed presentation. This to me is a very good value option, with the premium build, looks, and compact foldable design for on-the-go usability. Sony seem to have a winner on their hands this time, especially if the price drops in the near future.

Finally after a long while, I got my hands on the MDR Z7, their Made in Japan flagship headphone. I first plugged them into my own DAP+Amp combo, and they sounded pretty good; typical Sony relaxed presentation, I thought. But somehow they didn't get me as 'excited' as when I had put on the Audeze LCD 2 last time around at Headphone Connect, or when I first put on my own newly acquired Fidelio X2 by Philips. Then the rep suggested I try on the combination of the MDR Z7 - balanced - into the PHA-3. Significant improvement. Clarity was greatly improved (now the source was an Xperia Z-series smartphone feeding digital out into the PHA-3, and the tracks were some Hi-Res FLACs), and there was an overall improvement in the level of 'enjoyment' in the music IMO. But alas, the PHA-3 costs a month's salary, and adding the MDR-Z7 into the mix (not to mention buying the Android or Apple source device to feed the PHA-3) takes the price sky high for yours truly. Sony also sells upgraded cables, and they charge a price for it, too! All things considered, I wasn't too mightily impressed at the Z7 as a stand-alone single ended option, albeit they were just first impressions. More time needed on these. The cost to performance value is something which has to be judged with other hps compared side by side in its price range.

Moving on, I finally got to pick up the FiiO X7 demo unit which for many folks was the single major attraction at the whole event. I loaded my own card into it, and music started playing without any hitch, which was a pleasant surprise as I was informed by the others that the software was glitchy. The android interface was smooth enough, and the player itself looked and felt premium. The only question in my opinion is, are the improved looks, touchscreen interface and premium build worthy enough for the hefty price upgrade for existing FiiO DAP owners? Well, that's upto the users themselves I should say. And as for me, I'm pretty alright with the 1st gen X3 and E12A combo for now. But the demo unit is on its way, and I shall soon be able to judge and form an opinion of my own pretty soon. Yay.

Well that's it for now folks; will add more impressions soon.

Dec 7, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #2,685 of 4,743
Guys, i would like to share some pics of ONE PLUS Icons Earphones. If any of you are interested.

Take care guys, good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back