Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end headphones/IEMS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 2, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #842 of 4,743
Yes, though not all the way to the 150 hrs recommended in the manual. Maybe around a 80-100 hrs and the improvement is huge since the beginning. It seemed harsh and out of control in the beginning. In about 30-40 hours, it started getting more coherent and together. The burn in difference was more palpable than on my other cans.

The V shaped sound took some getting used to, specially the receded vocals and the sometimes sharp highs. Hope the highs settle down after the 150 hrs, or I'll swap to Focus pads. It's said to help settle the shrill bits. And the sharp treble mostly works to advantage in most tracks. Over time, I've come to like the vocal presentation. Allows me to focus on the rest of the band, and the separation is way above anything I've heard.

Seems to my old ears that it needs a bit more amping than the Fiio X3 on high gain. The volume is there, but still feels it could use some more juice... May get the Fiio E12 when it becomes available (out of stock at Pro Audio).

Overall, its a clear leap from my other cans in terms of pure impact and sheer 'bigness' of the sound. .

BTW, does anyone have suggestions for an suitable amp around 10-15 k? I'm fine with the E12, but since  I don't need the portability, why pay for the battery etc when that money can go into SQ improvements. I'm borrowing an O2 in the next few days, so may go that way if it works out significantly better than the X3's amp.

Oct 3, 2014 at 5:09 AM Post #843 of 4,743
Hey Guys,
All, except two headphones are now in Nasik, Maharashtra.
Apex Pinnacle, Mjonir, RSA71B, iQubeV2 & MAD also 
I'll be listing them very soon.
If anybody is interested please do take a look at my profile and let me know if you'd like any of these.
Leaving headfi & moving onto speakers... 

Thanks 

Oct 3, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #844 of 4,743
Does Anybody Have Any experience with Soundmagic HP100 and Ath M50X
Cheers
beerchug.gif

Oct 3, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #845 of 4,743
  Got myself an HE-400 a month back. If anyone in Mumbai wants to try it out, you're most welcome to drop by. I play it off 
a Fiio X3. Also have the HD558 and the M-50 if you wish to compare between them. 

Hi could you tell me how good or bad is HE-400 When compared to Sennheiser HD555/HD558.
I have read Some impressions Saying that they are not that good(http://www.head-fi.org/t/639936/from-senn-hd-555-to-hifiman-he400-not-impressed).
Could you Please shed some more light on Comapring these two... & Let me know the DAC/AMP you are using

Cheers
beerchug.gif

Oct 4, 2014 at 1:35 AM Post #846 of 4,743
  Hi could you tell me how good or bad is HE-400 When compared to Sennheiser HD555/HD558.
I have read Some impressions Saying that they are not that good(http://www.head-fi.org/t/639936/from-senn-hd-555-to-hifiman-he400-not-impressed).
Could you Please shed some more light on Comapring these two... & Let me know the DAC/AMP you are using

Cheers
beerchug.gif

the guy is not using an amp.

I think there would be huge difference when properly amped. I bought akg k550 after using hd518 for a long time which can be considered a similar upgrade.

surprisingly, when I do critical listening, difference is there but very little. 518 gives almost equal detail, although instruments are less well defined.

but the difference hit me like a wall when I am relaxing and not concentrating on music. 518 sounds muffled, lifeless in comparison.

Oct 4, 2014 at 4:09 AM Post #847 of 4,743

Cheers
beerchug.gif

The difference is quite large. The 558 is quite balanced but polite and laidback with less bass presence.

The HE-400 is not at all balanced. The vocals and guitars are pushed back, but has strong deep bass and bright highs (extreme V shape). So it's ideal for genres like electronic music which does not focus on vocals but more on bass texture and impact.  The details are also much better on the HE-400.

Both have wide soundstage. The 558 seems wider to my ears. Great for extended sessions of movies, world music and soundtrack etc.

The DAC/AMP I use is a Fiio X3. I'ts got a decent amp for a portable (540 mW@16Ω / 270 mW@32Ω  / 30 mW@300Ω ). It's more than enough for the HD558 and brings out enough volume from the HE-400. But I get the sense that a little more power will do good for the HE400. I get a more filled out sound and authority when I play the Fiio X3 line out through my stereo amp or AVR's headphone out.

Short comparison:
HD 558: very comfortable, balanced, polite. Easy to drive.
HE-400: Not so comfortable for extended sessions, high on bass, treble and details but sacrifices mids. Needs a long burning in.

Overall the HE-400 offers more dramatic sound and 'wow' than the 558. It also costs more.

Oct 4, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #848 of 4,743
  Does Anybody Have Any experience with Soundmagic HP100 and Ath M50X
Cheers
beerchug.gif

I have the Soundmagic HP 100 excellent headphone... nice highs..great bass impact..tending towards neutral...lively....quite musical..sound good with most genres. I would recommend them over the ATH M50x - If you did like more info on how to buy them or the hp 150 which is slightly better...PM me just got mine I can help you.

Oct 7, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #852 of 4,743
Need some advice folks, what's the next possible upgrade from my current HD558+E07k combo for home use, keeping in mind the budget shouldn't exceed around 10-15k.

Ideally I would also need this next device to be usable in a portable setup, with both iPod classic and hopefully a new A series Walkman, both served through Line out to this new device. The headphones used would be my Denon D340, VSD1S, and Philips Uptowns.

And for home use would I be better off upgrading the headphones themselves?

Thanks in advance for dem suggestions!

Oct 7, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #853 of 4,743
Need some advice folks, what's the next possible upgrade from my current HD558+E07k combo for home use, keeping in mind the budget shouldn't exceed around 10-15k.

Ideally I would also need this next device to be usable in a portable setup, with both iPod classic and hopefully a new A series Walkman, both served through Line out to this new device. The headphones used would be my Denon D340, VSD1S, and Philips Uptowns.

And for home use would I be better off upgrading the headphones themselves?

Thanks in advance for dem suggestions!

my HD 518 respond quiet noticeably to improvement in amplification. simply changing usb port of my dac amp results in sound improvement (changing to high powered one).

however biggest improvement and best value you will get would be by upgrading hps. E07k is already portable and imo can serve you till a couple of hp upgrades.

Oct 7, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #854 of 4,743

my HD 518 respond quiet noticeably to improvement in amplification. simply changing usb port of my dac amp results in sound improvement (changing to high powered one).

however biggest improvement and best value you will get would be by upgrading hps. E07k is already portable and imo can serve you till a couple of hp upgrades.

Thanks for your suggestion Vaibhav. 

My main reason for the upgrade query is because I found my PA2V2 (costing much less than E07k) responding better and producing a better overall sound through the LO of the iPod Classic than the FiiO, to my ears at least. This led me to think that maybe a stand alone amp, like the E12 would be a good upgrade. This is where I need suggestions for comparisons as I don't know the good amps in this price range that are available. Once I satisfy myself with the sound out of my current 558 cans, maybe I'll look to invest in the next pair of HP's, maybe the Philips Fidelios, as those look to be awesome value for money, at least as far as I've read.

Oct 7, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #855 of 4,743

Thanks for your suggestion Vaibhav. 

My main reason for the upgrade query is because I found my PA2V2 (costing much less than E07k) responding better and producing a better overall sound through the LO of the iPod Classic than the FiiO, to my ears at least. This led me to think that maybe a stand alone amp, like the E12 would be a good upgrade. This is where I need suggestions for comparisons as I don't know the good amps in this price range that are available. Once I satisfy myself with the sound out of my current 558 cans, maybe I'll look to invest in the next pair of HP's, maybe the Philips Fidelios, as those look to be awesome value for money, at least as far as I've read.

well, 558 will keep improving as far as you want to practically go.

thats why imo you will get biggest jump and hence best value by upgrading hps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back