Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end headphones/IEMS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 21, 2014 at 1:36 AM Post #736 of 4,743
Got a PS vita recently as I heard they were getting out of stock and will not be resupplied. Its can be used as a decent pmp but beware you might run out of storage space.So anyone into gaming and love playing JRPGs (I know its a very small subset), I recommend it.

I would've shifted my entire collection if it were not for sony's amazing memory cards.

compared it with my usb powered audinst hud mini. its 110$ dac/amp, so entry level.

audinst fleshes out sound more ie more details, and is more 3 dimensional. It has more steps between quiet and loud passages and more dynamic. it also drives full sized hps like akg k550 much better.

Vita scores in smoothness department. Its completely grain free sound and with no harshness. I have never heard vinyl but from what I have read about it, vita sounds closer to that than audinst, cause no harshness. Also it cannot drive akg k550 well enough. I get enough loudness but instruments sound thin and it does'nt fill soundstage like audinst does.

but biggest surprise to me is Vita - Hifiman RE400 pairing. Sound is devoid of any grain or harshness, that can come up when using other devices. Also I think I am hearing more layers of music with this pairing but I need to double check.

I am planning to pick some mp3 tracks and fill internal memory with as many as I can jam in there, and use it with RE400 as portable rig.

When I want to listen to music, take out memory card, when I want to play games, put it in.

Aug 21, 2014 at 4:58 AM Post #738 of 4,743
  That's nice to hear. How much did you get the Vita for?

I think they'll be replaced with the second gen slim vita's soon

got it for 18k.its slim version.

its Japanese import super value pack with 8 gb card, pouch, screen protector, 6 Japanese games that I don't understand.

I also heard that it will be replaced but when I checked recently at sony store, they said it was going to be discontinued. So I got it in case  that actually happens.

Aug 21, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #740 of 4,743

i had a brief ie800 encounter and i can say that it had too much bass to my taste , as much as fx40 but more refined and better control , mids were good , nice sound stage with some fantastic separation , highs do have a few spikes but not sibilant , sounds big warm and powerful . far from balanced but really fun to listen , not power hungry enough , the construction is awkward , unusual shape , cable is short so there is a extension cable . not good with microphonics too .
 i will buy this but for under 25k , not over that , if i have to pay north ward to 30k i will surely go for a custom or westone W50 or 60 .
 and under that i think dn-2000 is fantastic , still far from neutral .
 Where are you going ? if to some 1st and 2nd world countries , you can get some really nice brands there .

Thanks for the info....how is the treble btw? One thing i cannot stand in HP's is sharp treble/sibilance. I generally prefer a mids focus paired with a medium/large sound-stage. I am wondering if the se 846 will serve me better...as I would primarily use it on my commute. Should find other brands when i move, but want to use a small portable option ...and the ie 800's are priced decently on flipkart....hence wondering if i should pull the trigger now.

Aug 21, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #742 of 4,743
  Thanks for the info....how is the treble btw? One thing i cannot stand in HP's is sharp treble/sibilance. I generally prefer a mids focus paired with a medium/large sound-stage. I am wondering if the se 846 will serve me better...as I would primarily use it on my commute. Should find other brands when i move, but want to use a small portable option ...and the ie 800's are priced decently on flipkart....hence wondering if i should pull the trigger now.

se846 can use an amp to good use but the ie800 dont need an amp , se is more linear and is smoother too , dont have that v shaped sound sig of ie800 . it comes to amp or no amp , if you can help the se846 with an amp to help its inconsistent impedance ( as it is an BA phone its common ) or ie800 with out one .
  for me , i wont go for ie800 , its far more colored and unnatural and fun . if you want a fun sounding phone ie800 , if you want balance and smoother highs with no bass bleed or excessive bass its se846 . and then the price gap creeps in , yeah !! 20k , i can buy an xba h3 or an im02 or a dunu dn-2000 with it .
  you know , i will go with a combo , ie800 and an im02 .

Aug 21, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #743 of 4,743
  se846 can use an amp to good use but the ie800 dont need an amp , se is more linear and is smoother too , dont have that v shaped sound sig of ie800 . it comes to amp or no amp , if you can help the se846 with an amp to help its inconsistent impedance ( as it is an BA phone its common ) or ie800 with out one .

for me , i wont go for ie800 , its far more colored and unnatural and fun . if you want a fun sounding phone ie800 , if you want balance and smoother highs with no bass bleed or excessive bass its se846 . and then the price gap creeps in , yeah !! 20k , i can buy an xba h3 or an im02 or a dunu dn-2000 with it .
  you know , i will go with a combo , ie800 and an im02 .

114db and you need an Amp for the se846?? Amps to run BA based IEMs are the most contradictory recommendations in the history of portable audio.... Get a better DAC for any BA earphones... they better the sound comparative to a simple Amp!!

Aug 22, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #744 of 4,743
114db and you need an Amp for the se846?? Amps to run BA based IEMs are the most contradictory recommendations in the history of portable audio.... Get a better DAC for any BA earphones... they better the sound comparative to a simple Amp!!

no , spl has nothing to do with amp , its the impedance , have you seen the se846 graph , impedance on this can go under 5ohm at some regions , and to help that you need an amp , cuz no mobile can handle it .

Aug 22, 2014 at 12:15 AM Post #745 of 4,743

you are joking right ? and you phone handle 200ohm ? no right ? ba can require this amount of power . amp it and you will enjoy it to its fullest . not some crappy amp , something good , at least an e11 .

Aug 22, 2014 at 1:00 AM Post #747 of 4,743

cypher labs picollo.

why skimp on amp if you are buying $1000 iems in first place.

at least an amp like e11 for your mid budget ba phone like ue700 which has a impedance of close to 80ohm at the midrange . and picollo is an awesome amp that can drive most of the phones . might do the hd800 too .

Aug 22, 2014 at 2:58 AM Post #748 of 4,743
Suman.... SPL has nothing to do with amp? Are you serious? ... please read before you make such statements.

Aug 22, 2014 at 3:02 AM Post #749 of 4,743

you are joking right ? and you phone handle 200ohm ? no right ? ba can require this amount of power . amp it and you will enjoy it to its fullest . not some crappy amp , something good , at least an e11 .

The very working principle of Balanced Armatures is its foundation of low power requirements. This is why most BAs have high sensitivity. I only know the SM64 to have a comparatively higher impedance among BAs. 

Aug 22, 2014 at 3:16 AM Post #750 of 4,743

The very working principle of Balanced Armatures is its foundation of low power requirements. This is why most BAs have high sensitivity. I only know the SM64 to have a comparatively higher impedance among BAs. 

spl ?really ?  have you experienced 100db phone sounding louder then 110db phone ? no right ? spl and db rating are there cuz they want to . you know how they rate impedance ? they write like 15ohm at 1k , you know what that means ? it means it can be different at other frequencies , have a look at your sm64 graph bro . and why are we fighting ? you dont think BAs need amps ? tell me which one needs an amp more ? BAs or dynamics ? Dynamics have a flat and mostly linear impedance through out the spectrum and BAs dont . they are super high at times and super low too like under 5ohm .
  lets start with this , should be , look out for the impedance graph and effect of different resistance on the phone :-
 http://en.goldenears.net/index.php?mid=GR_Earphones&page=1&document_srl=12167

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back