Rogue Audio RH-5 Impression Thread
Nov 2, 2022 at 4:36 PM Post #631 of 718
I thought I'd share some impressions as a long time owner of an RH-5, which I think pairs perfectly with the HD800S. It has a certain Rogue sound that I also hear in the M180 monoblocks, which is a very big, resolved 3d stage with beautifully rendered, layered, tactile images throughout. Very slightly warm and (to me) sounds clearly more tube than solid state, but with good resolution extending well into the lower frequencies, revealing the real sound and texture of bass instruments. As a musician I really appreciate that it strikes the rare balance of being very technical, but also very easy and engaging to listen to.

Thank you. This is one of the best descriptions, impressions and reviews of the RH-5. It's a underrated gem.

:k701smile:

Jan 23, 2023 at 3:33 PM Post #632 of 718
I am putting together a new 2 ch system with equal emphasis on head phone and speaker performance. I believe the RH-5 would be perfect as pre/head amp along with a Rogue Hydra or DragoN 2 ch Amplifier.

I was hoping to use the LCD-X's which I have loved when I heard them at a meet. But in this thread I have heard both issues and success with this pairing. Can anyone share more on if this is a successful match?

Also what other headphones under $2K ish should I try to audition once my system is set up? I know many have mentioned the 800s, but I like a little more bass than those allow.

Music preferences are classic rock, blues, female vocalist, guitar, piano, and acoustical. And a little of everything else except country.

My favorite test track is Nightwish- Poet and Pendulum.

Jan 23, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #633 of 718
P.S. rereading the above post I realized I should also explain that I currently mostly listen to a portable rig consisting of an Ibasso DX240 streaming hi rez from Qobuz to Audeze LCD-i3's with a Bronze Dragon cable. With eq I love the sound of these headphones. This is why I am leaning towards the LCD-X or other Audeze headphones. Also the very positive experience with equilizing has led me to include a Schiit Lokius 7 band equilizer to round out the system with a Schiit Yggdrasil LIM dac. I will use a Node 2 streaming Qobus as my primary source.

Jan 25, 2023 at 10:35 AM Post #635 of 718
Jan 30, 2023 at 8:03 PM Post #636 of 718
I recently bought a pair of the new Silnote Audio Morpheus ref III balanced interconnect from Silnote Audio for my set up. I was using the Morpheus II version for a while. I had intended to buy another one but when I saw they had a new version III of the Morpheus balanced cable I decided to give them a shot.
After burning them in for close to a week they opened up in a big way. Wow they were a lot better than the version II . They are an amazing value for 395 dollars for a meter cable . I had not expected the amount of improvement I heard. The new cable has much better clarity up and down. Noticeably better dynamics as well.
They have really nice sense of spaciousness. My Rogue sounds better than it ever has. Things just are so much better delineated across the board.
You could do a lot worse for the pretty reasonably priced cable. It works very well with the Rh-5.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2023 at 8:55 PM Post #637 of 718
Speaking of the RH-5. I'm finally closer to placing my order for a proper audio component rack that will allow me to bring the RH-5 in from the living room into my listening room. The poor RH-5 has had very little use since it was purchased. Maybe 200-300 hours max.

Anyway I want to do some major reconfiguring and have all of my headphones amps in one place on one rack so that the can be used as intended.

Also I just picked up a new pair of tubes for the RH-5. Tung-Sol black glass 12AU7 grey plates from the very early 1950's. These have become difficult to find. They are said to be very similar to the impossible to find black plate version of the same tube. Of course the black plates were made in the 1940's but both the older black plate and the 1950's grey plate version have the telltale black glass inner coating.

I'm excited for it all to come together. At that point I'll have amplifiers that specialize in driving either dynamic driver or planars all within arms reach.

Love the journey of this hobby!

:k701smile:

Jan 30, 2023 at 11:00 PM Post #639 of 718
Is the Roque Audio Rh5 still considered a good amplifier in 2023?

I would say that's it's underrated and seems to fly under the radar.

It has strong grip and drive as the Abyss 1266 was one of the headphones that was used in its development and tuning. It can easily drive 300 ohm headphones like Sennheisers HD800 and 800s and ZMFs. It also has the advantage of having two 12AU7s in the amplification stage to give you the opportunity to tailor the sound. Like a reference sound then roll on some Telefunkens or Valvos. Like a warm signature then get into some Mullards or Brimars. Like a European tuning then add in some Mazda's. Like a little of everything then some RCAs or Tung-Sols will fit the bill. In this amp the tubes provide the amplification the MOSFETS provide the snappy drive and control.

It's definitely extremely relevant in 2023. Especially in the days of the new ZMF Caldera. But both dynamics and planars can get taken to where they need to go with this amp. No question.

Jan 31, 2023 at 12:15 AM Post #641 of 718
Have you tried the Hifiman Susvara with it? What headphone sounds the best with this amplifier in your opinion?

No I haven't tried Susvara with this amp.

I'd say both planar and dynamics play equally well. That's the real advantage here because it's a hybrid amp it does allow for more versatility. It has plenty of defined and controlled power with the added tube goodness.

Jan 31, 2023 at 12:26 AM Post #642 of 718
Do you have the Weiss DAC 501 connected to RH-5? If so, what setting on the Weiss do you use? I am curious because with the Mojo Audio Mystique DAC (5.0v output via XLR), I think the RH-5 that I had was being overloaded.

Jan 31, 2023 at 12:38 AM Post #643 of 718
Do you have the Weiss DAC 501 connected to RH-5? If so, what setting on the Weiss do you use? I am curious because with the Mojo Audio Mystique DAC (5.0v output via XLR), I think the RH-5 that I had was being overloaded.
I don't have the RH-5 and the Weiss DAC501-4Ch currently hooked up together. The RH-5 is currently hooked up to an older Violectric DAC V850.

Interesting on the 5v out or the Mojo Audio Mystique maybe overloading the RH-5. I think between all the voltage options available with the Weiss and the fact that the RH-5 has 3 gain settings I'm pretty sure I'll find a sweet spot for it.

Again, I have some major reconfiguring to do on my system. I'm still probably a month out but the time will be here before I realize it.

Here's an older Stereophile article that includes testing measurements by John Atkinson. John states on the last page that the RH-5

From John:

"The RH-5's line inputs could handle high levels without overloading and the volume control operates in 0.5dB steps, and all of its outputs preserved absolute polarity (ie, were non-inverting). The balanced input impedance measured a very high 160k ohms from 20Hz to 20kHz; the unbalanced input impedance was also high, at 106k ohms at 20Hz and 1kHz, dropping inconsequentially to 82k ohms at 20kHz. Via its line inputs, the RH-5's voltage gain into 100k ohms, measured at the line outputs and with the volume control set to its maximum of "185," was 1.1, 4.9, and 9.2dB for gain options 1, 2, and 3 for both balanced input to balanced output and unbalanced input to unbalanced output. Measured at the headphone outputs into 100k ohms, the maximum gains were 11, 14.8, and 19.1dB for the three gain settings at both the balanced and unbalanced jacks."

https://www.stereophile.com/content/rogue-audio-rh-5-preamplifier-headphone-amplifier-measurements

It's something I'll keep an eye on for sure! Thanks @jonathan c

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2023 at 12:52 AM Post #644 of 718
I have a RP-7 up for sale/trade if anyone is looking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back