Rogue Audio RH-5 Impression Thread
Oct 22, 2021 at 6:45 AM Post #331 of 718
I going to upgrade to the Purple fuse next week. The tubes I have in my Roque Audio RH-5 are oem! Recommendations appreciated
Sure thing! The tubes make the biggest difference, and the fuse is icing on the cake.

Out of curiosity, what headphones and DAC will you be pairing with the RH-5?

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2021 at 8:07 AM Post #333 of 718
I have a Schiit Yggdrasil OMG unison dac. I have Sennheiser HD 800 modified, Focal Utopia's, Sony MDR Z1R and Hifiman Susvara headphones.
Nice! You definitely have the gear to hear what the RH-5 can do, and I look forward to hearing how it works out for you.

I am a sucker for high-end closed back headphones and have always wanted to hear the Z1R, and can only imagine how good it's going to sound with the RH-5.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #334 of 718
So, now that the dust has settled a bit and I have about 3 full days of burn in with the SR Purple fuse, I am ready to share a bit more on my findings. First off, I have to say this has been a revelation for me as I have never swapped fuses before, and I am very impressed with the results. This fuse has done some amazing stuff to the overall sound of the amp, and it's really a substantial improvement in all regards. The background has become black, and the improvements don't stop there, the bass is tighter, deeper, more textured and real sounding, the mids are more detailed, textured and lifelike sounding, the instruments are more fully fleshed out and the stage has become more holographic with more depth and height added in all directions, the highs are well extended and smooth, and everything just sounds right. I am still stunned at what I am hearing, and it's been a blast going through all my favorite songs and hearing them for what seems like the first time all over again. I originally thought that tube rolling made a bigger difference, but now I think the Purple fuse has been the most substantial upgrade so far. There is seriously some voodoo magic going on inside this fuse, and it is somehow enhancing all aspects of the sound to a degree that is making my head spin. :astonished:

With the addition of the Purple fuse my RH-5 sounds as if it's an updated MKII version, as pretty much all the same improvements you usually get with a MKII upgrade apply to my amp with the Purple fuse treatment. Rogue could seriously just put a Purple fuse in the RH-5 and call it a MKII, and I bet many would think there was actually more component upgrades done and not just a fuse swap. My RH-5 sounds so good right now, that I am even considering selling off my beloved Pendant SE. I love that sweet SET sound of the Pendant, but the RH-5 is more versatile and capable overall and my Pendant has been collecting dust ever since the Purple fuse has been installed in my RH-5.

I can wholeheartedly recommend the SR Purple fuse for all RH-5 owners, and I really hope a few of you take a chance as it really is a game changer.

Back to musical bliss. . .

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #335 of 718
So, now that the dust has settled a bit and I have about 3 full days of burn in with the SR Purple fuse, I am ready to share a bit more on my findings. First off, I have to say this has been a revelation for me as I have never swapped fuses before, and I am very impressed with the results. This fuse has done some amazing stuff to the overall sound of the amp, and it's really a substantial improvement in all regards. The background has become black, and the improvements don't stop there, the bass is tighter, deeper, more textured and real sounding, the mids are more detailed, textured and lifelike sounding, the instruments are more fully fleshed out and the stage has become more holographic with more depth and height added in all directions, the highs are well extended and smooth, and everything just sounds right. I am still stunned at what I am hearing, and it's been a blast going through all my favorite songs and hearing them for what seems like the first time all over again. I originally thought that tube rolling made a bigger difference, but now I think the Purple fuse has been the most substantial upgrade so far. There is seriously some voodoo magic going on inside this fuse, and it is somehow enhancing all aspects of the sound to a degree that is making my head spin. :astonished:

With the addition of the Purple fuse my RH-5 sounds as if it's an updated MKII version, as pretty much all the same improvements you usually get with a MKII upgrade apply to my amp with the Purple fuse treatment. Rogue could seriously just put a Purple fuse in the RH-5 and call it a MKII, and I bet many would think there was actually more component upgrades done and not just a fuse swap. My RH-5 sounds so good right now, that I am even considering selling off my beloved Pendant SE. I love that sweet SET sound of the Pendant, but the RH-5 is more versatile and capable overall and my Pendant has been collecting dust ever since the Purple fuse has been installed in my RH-5.

I can wholeheartedly recommend the SR Purple fuse for all RH-5 owners, and I really hope a few of you take a chance as it really is a game changer.

MK11 Version?

Oct 23, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #336 of 718
Oct 23, 2021 at 7:02 PM Post #338 of 718
Nice! You definitely have the gear to hear what the RH-5 can do, and I look forward to hearing how it works out for you.

I am a sucker for high-end closed back headphones and have always wanted to hear the Z1R, and can only imagine how good it's going to sound with the RH-5.
The Sony MDR Z1R is a fun headphone! My Sennheiser HD 820 is more of a audiophile headphone but the workmanship that went into making the Sony makes it a good headphone for my collection. I use this headphone with my ALO STUDIO AMP with a Axio Kimber Kable and the sound is unreal!

Oct 24, 2021 at 7:52 PM Post #339 of 718
Mine is for sale in the classified section if anyone is looking to buy.

Oct 26, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #340 of 718

Thanks for the heads up on the purple fuse upgrade. I have a HiFi tuning Supreme fuse in mine and I heard improvements in the sound that were similar to what you heard in upgrading the fuse in your RH-5. The changes of fuse upgrades are of a bigger nature than tube rolling.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #341 of 718
Thanks for the heads up on the purple fuse upgrade. I have a HiFi tuning Supreme fuse in mine and I heard improvements in the sound that were similar to what you heard in upgrading the fuse in your RH-5. The changes of fuse upgrades are of a bigger nature than tube rolling.
No prob! This fuse is quite the stunner, and it is definitely a bigger change than any tube roll I have tried.

Oct 26, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #342 of 718
No prob! This fuse is quite the stunner, and it is definitely a bigger change than any tube roll I have tried.
A re-enactment of the tube rolls pre-SRP fuse (probably not feasible) would be interesting. One might find that all the tube ‘pretenders’ could have been real ‘contenders’ if fed DC that came through a SRP rather than through a ‘stock’ glass fuse….🤔🤷🏻….

Oct 26, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #343 of 718
PS…I have a batch (bevy, flotilla, gaggle)* of SRP with different A-ratings on the way.

* Lexicon time: is ‘batch’ the best collective noun for fuses (or for tubes)?….🤔….

Oct 26, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #344 of 718
A re-enactment of the tube rolls pre-SRP fuse (probably not feasible) would be interesting. One might find that all the tube ‘pretenders’ could have been real ‘contenders’ if fed DC that came through a SRP rather than through a ‘stock’ glass fuse….🤔🤷🏻….
Good point, and I am gonna have to pull out my stash of ECC82 and see how they sound.

Oct 26, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #345 of 718
PS…I have a batch (bevy, flotilla, gaggle)* of SRP with different A-ratings on the way.

* Lexicon time: is ‘batch’ the best collective noun for fuses (or for tubes)?….🤔….
I had a feeling you would have some Purples on the way eventually and can't wait to hear how they work out for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back