Rock's Greatest Double Album
Aug 5, 2009 at 6:37 AM Post #31 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Husker Du's Zen Arcade is cool I guess, never really got them, but I'll be happy to put it in my Honorable Mentions list

_Rolling Stone_'s David Fricke opined in the 1985 review, "Zen Arcade is probably the closest hardcore will ever get to an opera. [. . . a] kind of thrash Quadrophenia." Then he mosies onward to review The Minutemen's _Double Nickels on the Dime_. 'Garsh, this shure is innerestin' stuff! '85 was some kind of year.Here.

Aug 5, 2009 at 6:46 AM Post #32 of 84
funny thing is had some of these been released in the last 15 years they'd have fit on a single 80 min CD ... what "double album" ?
wink.gif

(and vice versa, of course)

Aug 5, 2009 at 8:42 AM Post #33 of 84
My nomination is Made in Japan - Deep Purple. First proper album I ever bought.

Aug 5, 2009 at 12:54 PM Post #34 of 84
I voted for Electric Ladyland.
I absolutely hate The Wall-to me, that is when Pink Floyd stopped being a great band and started to totally suck. If you want to include a great PF double album, list Ummagumma instead!

Aug 5, 2009 at 1:32 PM Post #36 of 84
ufo-strangers.jpg
This if anyone remembers, was and is one of the greatest double live albums of all.
Michael_Schenker2.jpg

UFO..........Strangers In The Night

Aug 5, 2009 at 1:34 PM Post #37 of 84
very hard to choose between the white album, electric ladyland, and the wall. Went with electric ladyland.

Aug 5, 2009 at 2:34 PM Post #38 of 84
petercorriston_1.jpg
VS
songlrg.jpg

I myself would have to choose The Song Remains The Same Soundtrack.

Aug 5, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #40 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by wuwhere /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps "CSN&Y - Four Way Street" would have made your HM list as well?

This gets my vote.

This from a card carrying Pink Floyd fan since 1973. The Wall was too much Waters politics.

Aug 5, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #42 of 84
White Album, as the best any album of all time.

Having mostly missed the vinyl era, I can only imagine the awesome experience of 'The Double Album', especially from a band like Zeppelin or the Beatles.

Of course, the trade off of having unlimited access to all music ever is nice too. And now every album is a double album, thanks to the 80 minute cd and bands who have no self-restraint.

Aug 5, 2009 at 3:53 PM Post #43 of 84
I went with Allman Brothers at Fillmore East. Every song is good and it flipping sounds fantastic.

Other contenders were White Album (a little inconsistent IMO) and the Wall (only really like side 3).

Aug 5, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #44 of 84
I can't in good conscience vote for a double live album, so I have to throw a vote from my corner for Livin' the Blues by Canned Heat, if for no other reason than being the only double studio album I can think of where I enjoy every track.

Canned_Heat_-_Livin_The_Blues_-_Front.jpg

Aug 5, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #45 of 84
Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life

Prince - Sign O' The Times

Of the things listed, for me the choice is between Exile on Main Street and London Calling. Haven't voted yet, but if I were to go with what gets the most playing time these days, it's definitely the Clash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back