Rock's Greatest Double Album
Aug 4, 2009 at 11:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 84

DavidMahler

Headphoneus Supremus
So what do you think is Rock's greatest double LP?
Honorable Mentions:

Frank Zappa - Freak Out
Captain Beefheart - Troutmask Replica
Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Derek & The Dominoes - Layla & Other Assorted Love Songs
The Allman Brothers Band - Eat A Peach
The Who - Tommy
Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie & The Infinite Sadness
Bruce Springsteen - The River
The Grateful Dead - Live / Dead

Aug 5, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #4 of 84
Mike Oldfield - Incantations

incantations.jpg

One of the lesser number of double LP albums which also had a double CD release (until 80 minute CDs became the norm and it was re-released).

Todd Rundgren - Something/Anything is also superb.

If live albums can also get a nod then there are a few more good choices.

Aug 5, 2009 at 12:23 AM Post #5 of 84
I am not a big fan of any of the albums listed in the poll or the honorable mention list, so I will say Black Sabbath - Reunion. While I love a few tracks off of The Wall overall everything is "meh" to me. I know I will be viewed as ignorant by many, but "meh".
tongue.gif

Aug 5, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #6 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
?

Haha I guess IV doesn't really count, but I was counting the two sides, trying to sneak it in cause I like it so much! But I voted The Wall.

Aug 5, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #7 of 84
I voted for "The Wall". It's a double album through and through. Every song there for a purpose.

I'm also getting to really enjoy The Allman Brothers At Fillmore East. A truly great live album. But right now I only have the deluxe edition of At Fillmore East which has additional songs. So I have not yet experienced the original as it was on the double album. I need to fix that and get the original release on CD.

Aug 5, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #8 of 84
I would have to put my vote in for The Wall. I like the whole album. Its a lot harder to like an entire double album. It makes the feat even more impressive. How many artist can you think off that even released back to back albums that you liked all the songs on both.

Aug 5, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #10 of 84
Man, some good music there. I expected to see "Wheels Of Fire" by Cream. I picked "Exile On Main Street" simply because it is one of the greatest Rock n, Roll albums of all-time. Going strictly by personal taste it's tough for me not to pick "Physical Graffiti," or "The Wall." "Exile On Main Street" is the Stones at their best, absolutely genre-defining...

Aug 5, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #12 of 84
Ahhh..Yes the wacky double album, I'm thinking the start was in about 1976. Kiss alive 1 was the double that out sold a lot then. It set the stage for all the live doubles to follow. Double live Gonzo, by Ted Nugent, something about the words double and live together...Live Evil......Kiss Alive 2..........The Song Remains The Same. If you look at sales numbers from the era when the albums were as big as the arenas they were recorded in, you may find your little list is incomplete.

Aug 5, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #13 of 84
When you take into account how the White Album was written/recorded, and just how memorable the songs are (those that are actual songs), it is the "greatest." I love At Fillmore East, and think it's the greatest rock performance ever, but it's not the best collection of songs in a double album.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back