Rockna Wavelight
Nov 27, 2023 at 8:52 PM Post #1,426 of 1,586
Is anyone using Mac / QuickTime Player to push the update?

I dont use a laptop/desktop ever - I have a Nucleus.

So, to run the firmware update I will put a single bit perfect file onto my MAC (laptop).

Any MAC users out here have a suggestion / best practice for updating the firmware via MAC (over usb) ?

Just bumping this (seflishly) anyone here use Apple devices ? :)

Nov 27, 2023 at 9:04 PM Post #1,427 of 1,586
Just bumping this (seflishly) anyone here use Apple devices ? :)
You stated you have a nucleus, have you tried running the update connecting it via USB and playing the file through Roon?

Nov 27, 2023 at 9:22 PM Post #1,428 of 1,586
You stated you have a nucleus, have you tried running the update connecting it via USB and playing the file through Roon?

I have not - mostly because my Nucleus is on the other side of my house in a utility closet - but I could go get the Nucleus and attach it to the DAC

Have you run the update via Nucleus before ?

Nov 27, 2023 at 11:10 PM Post #1,429 of 1,586
I have not - mostly because my Nucleus is on the other side of my house in a utility closet - but I could go get the Nucleus and attach it to the DAC

Have you run the update via Nucleus before ?
I have not, but I did update through Roon with my server directly connected to the Wavelight. I just made sure all DSP and upsamping was disabled.

Nov 30, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #1,430 of 1,586
Anyone paired the WaveDream with the Wavelight Server? Thoughts?

Dec 1, 2023 at 5:12 AM Post #1,431 of 1,586
Just received a newsletter from roon in which they proudly announce that they were bought by Harman. I wonder what will happen to the direction of the company and my lifetime subscription.

Dec 1, 2023 at 5:41 AM Post #1,432 of 1,586
Dec 1, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #1,433 of 1,586
Dec 1, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #1,434 of 1,586
Thank you for the link. Calming words, the user comments express my thoughts and concerns though. Especially about management meetings and membership/ownership differences.
We will see where it goes and hoping for the best.
Right, I don't think he could have said anything different at this moment. The future will show.

Dec 3, 2023 at 11:01 PM Post #1,435 of 1,586
I read the Superbestfriends thread on the Wavelight and saw a common complaint that the SE output seemed so bad (compared to the XLR) they thought something was wrong with it. But it could have been a bad unit, and they send the same unit on tour to each other.

So what have you guys found regarding the SE output vs XLR?
Also this hybrid volume control.... how decent a preamp is it?

I am after a DAC/Pre, going direct into an SE solid state power amp.

Dec 4, 2023 at 5:23 AM Post #1,436 of 1,586
I am on that forum too and my experience was not as extreme. I found the XLR to be a touch more refined, a tad less grainy, slightly larger stage and slightly better separation. To go into my single ended amp, I tried using Jensen ISOMAX Bal to SE transformer to take advantage of Wavelight’s Bal out, but introducing the Jensen made the difference hardly discernible. I don’t think one should over think this and just use XLR if your amp has XLR input and sounds better with XLR in. In the event your amp lacks XLR in, or XLR in doesn’t sound as good as SE in, then you should simply use SE out of the Wavelight.

Dec 4, 2023 at 6:12 AM Post #1,438 of 1,586
Slightly off topic, but does someone know a good DDC with i2S Input and USB out?

I was thinking about that until Rockna enables FPGA upsampling for the non i2S outputs

Dec 4, 2023 at 11:53 AM Post #1,440 of 1,586
I read the Superbestfriends thread on the Wavelight and saw a common complaint that the SE output seemed so bad (compared to the XLR) they thought something was wrong with it. But it could have been a bad unit, and they send the same unit on tour to each other.

So what have you guys found regarding the SE output vs XLR?
Also this hybrid volume control.... how decent a preamp is it?

I am after a DAC/Pre, going direct into an SE solid state power amp.
I have not compared outputs but as a preamp, I’ve had no issues with the Wavelight. With the last update the hybrid volume vs analog volume is more noticeable for the better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back