Rockna Wavelight
Sep 18, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #1,261 of 1,586
Correct-lowest is 2TB confirmed by Nicolae.

I have a pre-order on the WL Server as I figure it'd be more worthwhile to upgrade my digital source (currently using Macbook Air M1 with USB to Rockna WL) than try and upgrade my already endearing Ferrum stack amp to something like the WA23 Luna.

I know digital interconnects is a highly controversial topic, but any suggestions on cables? It seems that some individuals actually prefer the AES over i2s for WL DAC due to a warmer, more musical portrayal, so I'll definitely start with low end AES and i2s cables to compare before investing into a higher end one like the Tubulus Concentus i2s or Pink Faun.

When will the server arrive? Who knows. LOL. Hopefully in the next 1-2 weeks. Hoping the upsampling capabilities will provide a nice sonic boost.

Sep 18, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #1,263 of 1,586
Don't forget the power cables on your source. I ignored the cables on my computer for a long long time, just built some out of Mundorf Silver Gold foil 17mm, they are just as important as the ones going to your DAC or your Amps.
I have a dedicated USB card powered by an external battery, the cables going to that.. 2.5mm DC are also important.
Wish someone had told me this sooner :)

All my cables are now made out of Silver Gold foil.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #1,264 of 1,586
Don't forget the power cables on your source. I ignored the cables on my computer for a long long time, just built some out of Mundorf Silver Gold foil 17mm, they are just as important as the ones going to your DAC or your Amps.
I have a dedicated USB card powered by an external battery, the cables going to that.. 2.5mm DC are also important.
Wish someone had told me this sooner :)

All my cables are now made out of Silver Gold foil.
Lol it never ends! I was even looking at Ethernet cables and Ethernet switches but will let my neuroticism play out slowly by testing part of the chain step-by-step.

Sep 18, 2023 at 6:36 PM Post #1,265 of 1,586
Only 2 things left for me to do..
1) Capacitor upgrade on the Rockna
2) Build an audiophile computer from scratch, using Linear Dedicated power supplies and Audio note capacitors. Open Chassis, no fans, solid state hard drives, liquid cooling. GTX 4090, Solid core internal wiring.

Chasing perfection is not for the faint of heart :)

Sep 18, 2023 at 7:17 PM Post #1,266 of 1,586
Lol it never ends! I was even looking at Ethernet cables and Ethernet switches but will let my neuroticism play out slowly by testing part of the chain step-by-step.
I am at this step as well!

Sep 19, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #1,267 of 1,586
Actually the lowest config is now 2TB.
The Wavelight has two Slots, you can simply add a second one and/or replace the first
Thanks for the reply. I prefer to choose my SSD so it’s good news.
These are the first technical infos I have been able to grab (Verdant Audio) :

DESCRIPTION​

• Roon/MPD/DLNA/Upnp/Airplay/HQPNAA
  • webserver / ripping using external usb optical drive
  • 8 (12) TB max internal storage (ssd only), 2TB Standard
  • 2 x USB 2.0, 2 x USB 3.0 (as in/outputs)
  • I2S, AES/EBU, Spdif, Optical (as audio outputs)
  • Hardware upsampling to DSD256/512 (can be enabled/disabled) for I2S output
  • Direct Audio Path (PCIe Audio) ** by software upgrade
  • low phase noise internal clocks

Sep 19, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #1,268 of 1,586
Thanks for the reply. I prefer to choose my SSD so it’s good news.
These are the first technical infos I have been able to grab (Verdant Audio) :

DESCRIPTION​

• Roon/MPD/DLNA/Upnp/Airplay/HQPNAA
  • webserver / ripping using external usb optical drive
  • 8 (12) TB max internal storage (ssd only), 2TB Standard
  • 2 x USB 2.0, 2 x USB 3.0 (as in/outputs)
  • I2S, AES/EBU, Spdif, Optical (as audio outputs)
  • Hardware upsampling to DSD256/512 (can be enabled/disabled) for I2S output
  • Direct Audio Path (PCIe Audio) ** by software upgrade
  • low phase noise internal clocks
One important point is, that Hardware upsampling is NOT available on the USB output.
There you'd only have the Software upsampling from Roon

Sep 20, 2023 at 3:05 AM Post #1,271 of 1,586
Mundorf Silver Gold kicks ass. Excellent choice !
Cheapest Power cables I've ever made.
They are 10 foot cables, because my speakers and amps are 8 feet into the room, away from the walls.
The first 9 feet 8 inches are home depot 14 gauge solid copper romex wire, the last 4 inches is the mundorf silver gold foil, double folded onto itself length wise. that piece is 4 inches long and 4.25mm wide. tried every combination, including going full 10 feet of copper foil, that 4 inches is the perfect goldilocks zone. (17mm is best in all applications, perfect balance between bass and treble. 28 and 44mm foil sounds too hot and fatiguing, at least for me)
Incredible tonality and resolution.
14 gauge solid copper soldered onto the foil and the foil soldered onto the power connector.

In my system that 4 inches works on all the power positions even the 2.5mm DC cable.

Under 4 inches, resolution suffers and image starts to become too dense, over 4 inches and I start to get treble spikes.

Electricity is weird phenomenon, every time I think I have my head wrapped around it, it throws me another curve ball.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2023 at 12:18 PM Post #1,273 of 1,586
Did you try changing the clock (on the Rockna ) to the steamer? (or remote or whatever it is call.. ie, not the local one.)
That can help with sync issues.. but i'm not sure about what you are seeing.

Pulling this old post forward -

I recently have been having clock sync issue when connected over AES between the WL and my Streamer.

I don't believe the Wavelight has the menue/option to change clock from Local to Remote/Streamer - I think this is only on the Wavedream ?

Has anyone else had asynchronous issues in handshake via AES between the WL --> Streamer?

It would be nice if Rockna would releaase a software update to provide the Wavelight with the same feature as the WaveDream to make the WL slave to Streamer

Sep 25, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #1,274 of 1,586
Pulling this old post forward -

I recently have been having clock sync issue when connected over AES between the WL and my Streamer.

I don't believe the Wavelight has the menue/option to change clock from Local to Remote/Streamer - I think this is only on the Wavedream ?

Has anyone else had asynchronous issues in handshake via AES between the WL --> Streamer?

It would be nice if Rockna would releaase a software update to provide the Wavelight with the same feature as the WaveDream to make the WL slave to Streamer
@David222 I'm writing from memory since I'm away from my WL, but I believe there is no such option or at least it has not been up to end of 2022. The update may come with finally released Server since your issue could also have impact on Rockna Server connectivity I suppose. It would be nice if somebody from Rocka staff would update us on this forum from time to time BTW.

Sep 25, 2023 at 3:33 PM Post #1,275 of 1,586
@David222 I'm writing from memory since I'm away from my WL, but I believe there is no such option or at least it has not been up to end of 2022. The update may come with finally released Server since your issue could also have impact on Rockna Server connectivity I suppose. It would be nice if somebody from Rocka staff would update us on this forum from time to time BTW.

I spoke with my dealer by phone. He’s one of a small number of authorized Rockna dealers in US. He said there is no option to change clock setting on WL

This option only exists on Wavedream.

He said Rockna is aware of the limitation on WL and they said there is a software complexity on adding the feature.

I think they should focus and accelerate an update for this. At the price point of the WL - seems like it should have the same capability to “slave” the clock to a streamer, as the Wavedream.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back