Rockna Wavelight
Jan 25, 2023 at 4:14 AM Post #1,051 of 1,590
questo è il guadagno per la connessione rca. intendo il guadagno usato solo come dac/preamplificatore.
per esempio holo spring 3 usato come dac/preamplificatore ha un guadagno di 6db ( the voltage output is 5.8Vrms (RCA), 11.6Vrms (XLR)

Jan 25, 2023 at 9:22 AM Post #1,053 of 1,590
MA3 is worth auditioning. have tried both USB and ethernet into it and i could not tell the difference. i'm using ethernet in for convenience. the upsampling is also rather good; punchy and detailed/textured low end and smooth, airy top end. overall a more balanced presentation and more neutral/reference than the WD/WL, which to me are more on the fun sounding spectrum.
Wow, you are making me really think about the MA3. Ed is one of the great pioneers of digital (more accurately, I believe his specialty is clock design and switching power supplies), along with Andreas Koch of Playback Designs - Andreas holds patents for asynchronous up-sampling, the two worked closely in the late 90's early 00 to develop DSD and single bit D to A for Sony, so the secret sauce for either of their respective companies DACs is their up-sampling engine. I would love to own a DAC that could go ethernet in direct and be done.... Then keep my PS Audio Pre amp... I owned a BiDat super update model back in the early 2000's and loved that DAC. I was able to meet Ed in 2019 at RMAF, the man is a genius! Have listened to Andreas speak about how he does digital filtering, he is another genius!

Jan 25, 2023 at 9:27 AM Post #1,054 of 1,590
So after trying every kind of combination possible. A fuse soldered onto the PCB board using a 18 gauge Mundorf Solid Silver Gold wire gives the highest level of detail and almost perfect life like timbre. This DAC is operating at perhaps 80% of it's capability without this mod.
I know that sounds like a massive exaggeration, but if anything, I am understating it.

Have to agree with everyone else, this DAC is very sensitive to any changes that you made further up in the audio chain.
I am in Audio Nirvana at the moment....the capacitor upgrades will also be coming at some point :)
So in 2021 I ordered one of those stupid expensive QSA Violet Fuses for the Wavelight - it made a very noticeable improvement. What improvements would be had via direct solder, and can you solder from the top of the board? Id be willing to try this...

Jan 25, 2023 at 9:50 AM Post #1,055 of 1,590
there is something I read about before in the manual ie adjusting the gain. not sure if it applies to what you're looking for. I asked rockna before and they said it ships with minimal gain setting of 8dB for XLR.

On a related note - I put the WL volume up to 100 the other night - feeding into the Wells Audio Milo -

Was the best I’ve ever heard it

Makes me wonder if I should not keep the WL volume set around 75/80 (my usual setting) ??

I’d be curious to hear where others run their volume level at ??

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2023 at 10:00 AM Post #1,056 of 1,590
What improvements would be had via direct solder,
An ordinary non-inductive fuse becomes the best audiophile fuse when soldered to a board. Better is only no fuse.

Jan 25, 2023 at 10:20 AM Post #1,057 of 1,590
On a related note - I put the WL volume up to 100 the other night - feeding into the Wells Audio Milo -

Makes me wonder if I should not keep the WL volume set around 75/80 (my usual setting) ??

@David222 I confirm since I had similar findings with other amps. 75/80 maybe 85 is the setting to go.

Jan 25, 2023 at 10:20 AM Post #1,058 of 1,590
Su una nota correlata - ho alzato il volume WL a 100 l'altra sera - alimentando il Wells Audio Milo -

È stato il migliore che abbia mai sentito

Mi chiedo se non dovrei mantenere il volume WL impostato intorno a 75/80 (la mia impostazione abituale) ??

Sarei curioso di sapere dove gli altri eseguono il loro livello di volume a ??
perché dovresti usarlo a 70/80? in questo modo stai attenuando il segnale. se lo uso come dac I set it at 100

Jan 25, 2023 at 10:52 AM Post #1,059 of 1,590
Wow, you are making me really think about the MA3. Ed is one of the great pioneers of digital (more accurately, I believe his specialty is clock design and switching power supplies), along with Andreas Koch of Playback Designs - Andreas holds patents for asynchronous up-sampling, the two worked closely in the late 90's early 00 to develop DSD and single bit D to A for Sony, so the secret sauce for either of their respective companies DACs is their up-sampling engine. I would love to own a DAC that could go ethernet in direct and be done.... Then keep my PS Audio Pre amp... I owned a BiDat super update model back in the early 2000's and loved that DAC. I was able to meet Ed in 2019 at RMAF, the man is a genius! Have listened to Andreas speak about how he does digital filtering, he is another genius!
You may be interested in this review:
https://twitteringmachines.com/review-meitner-audio-ma3-integrated-d-a-converter/

Jan 25, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #1,061 of 1,590

When using the WL as the pre-amp, usually around 40-50, but when using it with a separate pre-amp 80-90.

Jan 25, 2023 at 6:33 PM Post #1,062 of 1,590
perché dovresti usarlo a 70/80? in questo modo stai attenuando il segnale. se lo uso come dac I set it at 100

Well, I usually attenuate the DAC signal to ~80 to ensure I can get the amplifier downstream of the WL to around 12p on the gain.

But the other day as noted I had the WL (as DAC) up near 100 and to my ear my amplifier sounded better even though I could not get the pot past 9 or 10 o’clock

___

Bueno, normalmente atenuo la señal DAC a ~80 para asegurarme de que puedo llevar el amplificador aguas abajo del WL a alrededor de 12p en la ganancia.

Pero el otro día, como se señaló, tenía el WL (como DAC) cerca de 100 y en mi oído mi amplificador sonaba mejor a pesar de que no pude conseguir el bote después de las 9 o 10 en punto

Jan 25, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #1,063 of 1,590
i usually have mine at 85-88. sometimes i try 100 and for me, yes it seems to sound quite good, initially, as vocals and top end seem stronger and music seems livelier, but then after a short while of getting accustomed to the new sound, something just feels not so "right". almost like it is too energetic and then i also realize i'm losing a fair bit of low end and low mids. reducing the dac volume rectifies it immediately.

Jan 27, 2023 at 10:25 AM Post #1,064 of 1,590
Today I received news from my dealer that the Server release is imminent.

Shouldn't be long from now

Jan 27, 2023 at 2:04 PM Post #1,065 of 1,590
My 1:1 tests of TT2 vs Wavelight are done and the product goes to Classifieds. If someone is interested it is a good moment to look here.

TT2vsRockna.jpg

Since I have promissed to provide some feedback I will try to drag a conclusion. TT2 are Wavelight are the best DACs I have ever heard but also sound very different. They are quite opposite as presentation.

I have used only one pair of headphones, Final Audio D8000 Pro, since I am an exclussive headphone listener (my tube amp does not have outputs). The source was my PC where I have a JCAT Femto XE externally powered by a Sbooster 5V LPS. The USB cable is a Kimber Kable USB-Ag. I tried several interconnects (Lavricables Grand 20 Core Silver XLR, Neotech NEI-2001 RCA (handmade by a professional), DH Labs Air Matrix) and 2 headphone cables (FAW Noir Hybrid and Lavricables Grand Silver). My listening session took around 200 hrs (but tests only several hours, more was accomodation to the new signature). Comparison was made with Chord Hugo TT2 connected with M Scaler with full upscaling, powered by MCRU Ultimate power supplies and Dual-BNC connection via Wave Storm cables. TT2 and M Scaler power supplies are inserted in a Furman AC-210A-E. All audio equipments are connected to a Kemp power strip and that one in an Audioplan Fine Filter S which is plugged into the wall. I gave all these details to let people understand a little bit the environment where Rockna Wavelight was tested. This one was plugged directly into the Kemp power strip since I did not want to remove TT2 and M Scaler from their own custom supplies and was kept powered ON all the time. As for the music, I listen exclusively to rock/metal. For the evaluation I have used 4 albums I recently listen to: Katatonia - Sky Void of Stars, Riverside - ID.Entity, ...And Oceans - As in Gardens, So in Tombs and Gamma Ray - Empire of the Undead. These were diverse enough to let me form an opinion.

I will not make a review, I'll just explain why for me the decision was to keep TT2 in detriment of Wavelight, this being an information I was asked for.

And now let's begin. From the first listening hours I have observed that Wavelight had a more rounded presentation, somehow smoother and rolled off in the treble. At first this gave me the impression of a more analogue presentation, a more organic one, but later I started to miss the high frequency extension of TT2 which was for me airier and sounded more lively. It was a fluid sound, and the softer signature was less fatiguing than the one of TT2, I was able to turn the volume to a higher levels and listen without any problems. But in my usage scenario TT2 is not quite fatiguing, at least in my setup when used with a custom tube amplifier and a quite big variety of tubes which allow me compensate. The softer and more fluid presentation came with a flaw, less dynamics. Everything was sounding to me slower, and this was evident to me on the Empire of the Undead track where I had a feeling of slow motion.
Regarding detail retrieval I find TT2 more resolving and with better instrument separation, and this was easy to see in the more intense tracks of ...And Oceans. On the slower songs of Riverside the more analogue and fluid sound of Wavelight was maybe better but even in that case, the treble roll off made it sound more sterile and unengaging compared to TT2 which was more energetic and emotional while keeping a more technical presentation because of better detail retrieval and airier sound. I know, this is not a very audiophile term but in the end what we all seek is pleasure in listening.
I started to think if I can compensate the lack of engagement and speed with different cables and I obtained interesting results. While all were close, the best from all was the Neotech NEI-2001 hand made one, which sounded the most lively to me and had the best extension on both ends. With it the music was alive while on others I felt it was just a recording. And regarding headphone cables, the Forza Audioworks Hoir Hybrid was better than the Lavricables Grand Silver for the same reason. So in conclusion I made a longer listening session of Wavelight with these ones to be sure that I am not judging it with cables which are not fitting my preferences. In this configuration my previously mentioned flaws were minimized but still, there was a margin to TT2 level which made me take the decision I've mentioned.
Now, in the end, I have to repeat what I have already said. I am not an usual listener, I have a very specific setup and I have some very specific expectations. And this is the reason I have most probably a different experience as others here. I do not want to deny theirs, nor consider mine more relevant, but I felt it was my duty to present my honest thoughts to the community. Another important aspect is that rock music is a complicated genre. You have distorted guitars, keyboards and all kind of vocal performances in a quite fast and intense song. I felt that Wavelight was exceptional for acoustical music and the lack of dynamics were inexistent on slower tracks. But for me this was no help, I listen to fast music where a sharper sound is more engaging. I felt Wavelight was removing emotion and lively sound from the music with that softer presentation, and this was a no go for me. What I enjoyed more was the incredible good build quality, the Android remote app and the overall solid and fluid sound it was providing. But this sound was, at least for me, lifeless.
On the TT2 side I have to mention that my setup had incremental upgrades and I felt that they had a major impact on sound quality. In other words, I had to build a whole ecosystem for TT2 to sound as it sounds now (LPS, filtering, USB with JCAT, Wave Storm DBNC) and Rocka Wavelight plugged directly into the power strip sounded close. Close but different and I doubt I can make it go into the direction I want regardless of the additional investments as the server. This was something I really wanted to try and I will miss in the future.

Ok, this was my testimony, I do hope it will provide an interesting point of view for others and please excuse my lack or reviewer skills. I'm an engineer, most probably a failed one, since I work in a totally different area now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back