Rockna Wavelight
Feb 7, 2022 at 11:13 AM Post #856 of 1,645
I'm back to experimenting with upsampling and filters. Listening lately to Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio "Midnight Sugar" CD from my NuPrime CDT-8 Pro. Using spidf upsampled to 96K and hybrid volume control.

At first I has been using NOS for few hours, than listen for an hour or so using Hybrid filter and came to a surprising - at least for me - conclusion that: Linear filter in such setup and this kind of music sounds best so far.

1644157330221.png
Nice choice in music! Been doing the same. I've been playing around with PGGB up-sampler to 8X rates / FLAC, with the Rockna set to NOS and WOW what a nice improvement. I am using the recently released SOTM motherboard and JCAT USB XE with FARRAD linear power supply and that board has three NVME slots. One for the OS (Euphony+ HQP Embedded), the second slot houses a 1 TB to store local copies of off-line up-sampled music. I had a chance this weekend to compare PGGB against HQ player, and native Linear mode on the Rockna. The PGGB up sampled files (at least what I have heard thus far), take the prize for best sound, with PGGB just slightly edging out HQ player, but not a significant difference, and I can see how with some music, HQP would be my preference. YMMV, but in my system either PGGB or HQP sound better than Rockna's internal linear interpolation filter (with 2.5K taps). The external up samplers, sound bigger, more musical, and more natural. PGGB sounds ever-so-slightly more natural in the upper mid-range than HQP. With a warmer sounding recording, I prefer HQPs sound. What's nice is having the choice to chose between either. As mentioned, the difference between PGGB and HQP is subtle, but I think the difference in sound quality is not so much the difference in up-sampled filters, but more so that one is off-line up-sampled so no additional load on the CPU (i.e less RMI / EMI) vs. some incremental processing load on the CPU to do up-sampling in real-time.

I am wondering about getting a third NVME disk ~ 4TB to store the rest of my personal music collection so I no longer need to use the network to stream local files.

Will do some more listening today, but I am really digging how great the Rockna sounds with my recently acquired Cardas Clear XLR. I am mulling around getting another 16-foot run of Cardas Clear to go between Pre - and Power amps, but will need to save up for a bit for that length.

Lou

Feb 7, 2022 at 3:17 PM Post #857 of 1,645
Darn. I wonder how I get truly bitperfect on OSX. Thanks man.
I tried to make the FPGA firmware update from windows 10 and mediaplayer but UPD do not start, only via roon and SOtM sMS200 Ultra I "played" the firmware file as a track and started at the first shot! But probably some audioplayer can do it?....

sorry I probably found the way, foobar2000, WASAPI drivers and exclusive mode can run on bitperfect mode. I'll try for next Firmware Update.

Sorry to boring the 3D...

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2022 at 3:22 PM Post #858 of 1,645
I tried to make the FPGA firmware update from windows 10 and mediaplayer but UPD do not start, only via roon and SOtM sMS200 Ultra I "played" the firmware file as a track and started at the first shot! But probably some audioplayer can do it?
Anything that can play it bitperfect is fine.

Feb 7, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #859 of 1,645
Last edited:
Feb 7, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #860 of 1,645
Nice choice in music! Been doing the same. I've been playing around with PGGB up-sampler to 8X rates / FLAC, with the Rockna set to NOS and WOW what a nice improvement. I am using the recently released SOTM motherboard and JCAT USB XE with FARRAD linear power supply and that board has three NVME slots. One for the OS (Euphony+ HQP Embedded), the second slot houses a 1 TB to store local copies of off-line up-sampled music. I had a chance this weekend to compare PGGB against HQ player, and native Linear mode on the Rockna. The PGGB up sampled files (at least what I have heard thus far), take the prize for best sound, with PGGB just slightly edging out HQ player, but not a significant difference, and I can see how with some music, HQP would be my preference. YMMV, but in my system either PGGB or HQP sound better than Rockna's internal linear interpolation filter (with 2.5K taps). The external up samplers, sound bigger, more musical, and more natural. PGGB sounds ever-so-slightly more natural in the upper mid-range than HQP. With a warmer sounding recording, I prefer HQPs sound. What's nice is having the choice to chose between either. As mentioned, the difference between PGGB and HQP is subtle, but I think the difference in sound quality is not so much the difference in up-sampled filters, but more so that one is off-line up-sampled so no additional load on the CPU (i.e less RMI / EMI) vs. some incremental processing load on the CPU to do up-sampling in real-time.

I am wondering about getting a third NVME disk ~ 4TB to store the rest of my personal music collection so I no longer need to use the network to stream local files.

Will do some more listening today, but I am really digging how great the Rockna sounds with my recently acquired Cardas Clear XLR. I am mulling around getting another 16-foot run of Cardas Clear to go between Pre - and Power amps, but will need to save up for a bit for that length.

Lou

That was useful info. HQp works well only with certain DACs per the manufacturers themselves and Holo May being one of them so while you were able to compare WL+internal OS, WL+PGGB and WL+HQp which was super useful , if someone can also post impressions on WL+PGGB Vs Holo May + HQp then that would be great as well. With my short listen of WL and my experience with Holo May and HQp, I think WL slightly edges Holo May as a stand alone unit considering internal OS of WL is better than internal OS of Holo May to my ears but again it will come down to personal preference though on the presentation of WL vs Holo May so YMMV, main standout is that the WL dynamics, impact and engagement factor is a standout compared to Holo May IMO. But when Holo May is paired with HQp then that will edge out WL + internal OS, I have not listened to other combinations but someday I will. So far I have found , Holo May+HQp > WL internal OS >= Holo May internal OS.

Feb 7, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #862 of 1,645
Including a simple VLC with the windows audio set to the proper sampling rate (and 24 bits).

Just make sure the player doesn’t loop on the firmware, otherwise it’ll keep updating 😅
Personally I use UAPP on my Android phone.
Literally anything that's bitperfect works.

Doesn't have to be Roon, but Roon should work as well with the right settings

Feb 13, 2022 at 6:51 PM Post #863 of 1,645
Audition at home 😊😊😊😊
R8-Rockna-Mc-Empy.jpg

Feb 13, 2022 at 7:01 PM Post #864 of 1,645
Audition at home 😊😊😊😊
R8-Rockna-Mc-Empy.jpg
Seems like a great combo, and since the Wavelight has a preamp you can fully utilize the unity gain of the MHA200

Feb 14, 2022 at 5:32 PM Post #865 of 1,645
First impressions:
Whoa!

Nardis by Patricia Barber from Café Blue
On Qobuz https://open.qobuz.com/track/56687329

Those who does not like jazz can jump to 5:00.

What comes straight, without thinking or comparing: the cymbals - cristall clear. Now I start to understand what is Resolution. Without having any elevation in the highs anywhere. Who is saying that the Empys do not have detail? Just never heard before like this.
The MHA200 plays along very well.

Feb 14, 2022 at 5:36 PM Post #866 of 1,645
First impressions:
Whoa!

Nardis by Patricia Barber from Café Blue
On Qobuz https://open.qobuz.com/track/56687329

Those who does not like jazz can jump to 5:00.

What comes straight, without thinking or comparing: the cymbals - cristall clear. Now I start to understand what is Resolution. Without having any elevation in the highs anywhere. Who is saying that the Empys do not have detail? Just never heard before like this.
The MHA200 plays along very well.
The Empyrean does scale very well with a quality source and amp!

Feb 14, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #867 of 1,645
Feb 15, 2022 at 3:14 AM Post #869 of 1,645
Can i connect together RCA and XLR ? For example use RCA for Speakers amplifier... And XLR for headphones amp?? ( Not at the same time)
You can connect both and both outputs are active at the same time.

That neans you have to turn off the amp you don't want to use

Feb 15, 2022 at 6:26 AM Post #870 of 1,645
Seems like a great combo, and since the Wavelight has a preamp you can fully utilize the unity gain of the MHA200
It is really a great combo.
At volume 100 on the WL the unity gain position is just enough for low volume listening. I prefer WL around 75, and MHA around 1 o'clock. That makes possible to adjust up and down on the remote depending on the recordings and mood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back