Rockna Wavelight
Jul 25, 2021 at 6:05 AM Post #661 of 1,586
I'm getting ready to update firmware and just wanted to check whether I should do the update with a WIndows laptop or just play the file through my Linux endpoint.
It doesn't make any difference.
Bitperfect Playback is required in all scenarios.

I update the firmware using my phone with UAPP

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2021 at 6:06 AM Post #662 of 1,586
Maybe it is easier to do via the phone app.

Open the phone app. Connect to the dac. Then using the phone app, press the power button. When it turns off, it prompted me and asked if I wanted to update firmware on the dac.
That's only for thr App Firmware, not for the FPGA Firmware though.

Jul 25, 2021 at 6:13 AM Post #663 of 1,586
Jul 25, 2021 at 6:20 AM Post #664 of 1,586
U mean when the dac shows upd.% it is not the fpga?
When the DAC is shutoff and the App Shows update available it's always the App Firmware.

The FPGA is the "wav" file you always have to download manually from the Support site

Jul 25, 2021 at 6:23 AM Post #665 of 1,586
When the DAC is shutoff and the App Shows update available it's always the App Firmware.

The FPGA is the "wav" file you always have to download manually from the Support site

So on the dac, need to update both fpga + app firmware?

*edit just to add mine works fine, just confirming. Cos after I did it with just the wav, it showed "upd err". Then I did it from the phone, and the dac showed "upd.xx%"and after that it was OK.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2021 at 7:35 AM Post #666 of 1,586
So on the dac, need to update both fpga + app firmware?

*edit just to add mine works fine, just confirming. Cos after I did it with just the wav, it showed "upd err". Then I did it from the phone, and the dac showed "upd.xx%"and after that it was OK.
Yes you need to update both.
If your Version shows 1.23,1.36 you have both up to date.
1.23 is the FPGA file you have to download from rockna and play through a bitperfect source.
1.36 is the control App update Version

Jul 26, 2021 at 4:35 AM Post #668 of 1,586
I'm considering a Singxer SU6 or Denafrips Hermes for I2S input into my Wavelight. Any opinions or recommendations on these choices? I've read this thread and the threads for both the SU6 and Hermes and just looking for updates from WL users. Also, are there any compatibility issues?
Thanks

Jul 26, 2021 at 7:55 AM Post #669 of 1,586
I'm considering a Singxer SU6 or Denafrips Hermes for I2S input into my Wavelight. Any opinions or recommendations on these choices? I've read this thread and the threads for both the SU6 and Hermes and just looking for updates from WL users. Also, are there any compatibility issues?
Thanks

I'm using the su6 with the wavelight and have zero complaints.

I had the hermes but did not try it with the wavelight. It didn't improve the sound into a May KTE.

I tried a Gaia into the wavelight and didn't think it was better than the su6.

Jul 26, 2021 at 10:47 PM Post #671 of 1,586
Jul 28, 2021 at 12:06 AM Post #672 of 1,586
For those of you that use the pre-amp, have you guys experimented with the hybrid volume control yet? I find it a significant improvement over the pure analog volume control. I get better clarity, imaging, and depth. To boot, there's less harshness to the sound, everything sounds smoother and cleaner. Give it a shot if you can.

Also, for those of you that use headphone amps, try maxing out the pot on your headphone amp, and using the volume control on the DAC instead. I prefer that over using the pot.

On another note, I'm still getting the output locking issue occasionally, still gotta cycle through the outputs for it to lock. And for some reason, the I2S modes don't work anymore? Swapping through the 3 modes doesn't change anything anymore.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #673 of 1,586
hello everyone! I've had my Wavelight for 3 months now and love it! I tried to do the firmware updates and now the unit wont turn on. I've contacted my dealer to see if there is a hard reset feature. I updated the firmware on the unit first and then the app prompted me to update, so maybe I did the incorrect sequence?

Jul 28, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #674 of 1,586
@harsheel, you seem to have done it in the correct sequence. But the issue you mention, was experienced by quite a few users during the previous FW update. Namely FPGA FW 1.10 (via USB) and Control FW 1.28 (via Wavelight app on Smartphone). I haven’t seen this issue happen to anyone on the forums for the latest FW update, namely FPGA FW 1.23 and Control FW 1.36.

Also, do check the fuse too, to make sure it isn’t the fuse that has blown up.

Jul 28, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #675 of 1,586
thanks @EagleWings ! I did not see an external fuse holder on the IEC plug, is the fuse internal?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back