Rockna Audio Wavedream - New Excellent High-End DAC
Jan 17, 2020 at 10:33 PM Post #31 of 45
Hi, I need a hand working out which modules are installed in a Rockna Sig Bal, the serial number is 1610397. Is this the msb module or new module?. the unit is 3 years old.
Also wondering if it is possible to get a warranty transfer or updated firmware if you are not the original owner?

Messaged Rockna a few days ago with not reply yet.

That will use RD-0 modules

Apr 14, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #33 of 45
Wavedream Jr. is out now, but not many reviews yet it seems. 25-bit vs the 26/27-bit Wavedream.

Capture.PNG

Sep 10, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #34 of 45
Nice and tidy looking insides. I didn't know the module covers were polished to perfection.
20200909_135716.jpg

Interesting, one can order custom builds. This has a oyade mains connector with a separate fuse holder and without the in built filter. Rubycon capacitors as well, no idea what stock are.

Aug 6, 2021 at 2:57 PM Post #38 of 45
I purchased recently Rockna Wavedream Signature SE.. It doesnt sound like a DAC but rather like a quality studio reel to reel recorder which are best sources ever made.
What dac did you have before it? Any more impressions please

Aug 6, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #39 of 45
I do not try a lot DACs often. I had topping d90 a week ago and still have singxer sda6 pro which is for sale.
In the past had audio note Dac 4, few Lampizator’s and Diy dacs with tube output. Had also quality CD players like accuphase dp700 or ayon cd5s
As said, nothing I had in the past is comparable. For me brand new Rockna sounds not like a DAC of any kind but rather reel to reel tape. Tascam, studer, ampex etc.
Amazing that’s all I can say.
take care guys

Jul 7, 2022 at 7:09 AM Post #41 of 45
I had an opportunity to compare upper Rockna Wavedream Signature Balanced DAC versus MSB Analog DAC (with Analog Power supply, Volume Control and USB 384). Both DACs were connected to Aurender X100s via USB.

The system was: Vitus Audio SM-010 with Wilson Audio Sophia 3.

The results are the following:
Both DACs have heir own characters. I would say they are worthy adversaries. I also could not claim that one is better than the other. They sound different although they both include MSB modules.

MSB has better placement of instruments and vocalists, more spacious soundstage at all, while Rockna has a bit better resolution and more balanced sound.

Which one to choose will depend on your musical preferences.

Both DACs have several filters which let you change the sound a little bit.

The other one competitor was Linn Klimax DSM. This one demonstated the most balanced and musical sound of all. There was absolutely no compression. The sound was just right. Excellent vocals. Everything from Diana Krall to AC/DC sounded very impressive. I had no wish to analyse the soundquality. It was a pleasure just to listen.

I bet the new Linn Akurate DSM/1 would be a worthy competitor to MSB and Rockna.
I feel the only dac I heard that could compete with Rocka for resolution is Mytek Empire

Jul 7, 2022 at 7:12 AM Post #42 of 45
Funny thing I listened to MSB Analog DAC also at Dan's place, that one is basically on the same level, but WaveDream has a preamp out too (as a pro).
Listened to Chord Electronics QBD76 HDSD and I think that WaveDream and Analog DAC are better.
For me Playback Designs MSP6 has way better height and depth of stage with more natural and less exaggerated tuning while Wavedream has more modern tuning with better image, microdetails and resolution.

Jul 7, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #44 of 45
I purchased recently Rockna Wavedream Signature SE.. It doesnt sound like a DAC but rather like a quality studio reel to reel recorder which are best sources ever made.
That’s great. This type of performance is expected for the current crop of high end dacs. High priced dacs that do not sound analog and natural are using outdated tech or poorly designed.

As you move up to better dacs you get way higher resolution and more “space” without sacrificing that analog and natural sound.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2022 at 12:32 AM Post #45 of 45
Just got a mint condition Platinum balanced wavedream dac to replace my Schiit Yggdrasil. While I think Yggdrasil is a tad more transparent and more detailed, the Rockna wavedream is more musical and has a nice smooth and liquid voice. I definitely prefer the Rockna wavedream over Yggdrasil with my Focal Utopia.
I have exactly the opposite sound impression where I feel Wavedream is more analytical and sharp with great stage width while schit is smoother with the best height and depth of stage

Users who are viewing this thread

Back