Rockit Sounds R-50 Reviews and Impressions
Aug 21, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #1,066 of 1,205
I think that at those bitrates, your files are probably on the borderline between sounding decent and you being able to make out the compression artifacts. It will all depend on what type of music you have in those bitrates. Anything with a high dynamic range (think classical), will not sound very good in lower bitrates. In general it really pays off to have at least 320 kbps if you're using MP3s, but in this case it basically means YMMV. The R-50 has a TWFK driver which has a pretty high level of detail resolution for a BA speaker, so your best bet would be get higher quality recordings or re-rip your music collection.

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #1,067 of 1,205

Quote:
I think that at those bitrates, your files are probably on the borderline between sounding decent and you being able to make out the compression artifacts. It will all depend on what type of music you have in those bitrates. Anything with a high dynamic range (think classical), will not sound very good in lower bitrates. In general it really pays off to have at least 320 kbps if you're using MP3s, but in this case it basically means YMMV. The R-50 has a TWFK driver which has a pretty high level of detail resolution for a BA speaker, so your best bet would be get higher quality recordings or re-rip your music collection.

I currently use Rdio for listening to music, which has those bitrates, if I switch to Spotify for 2$ more I could get 320kbps. They say they use Ogg Vorbis format.
At the current bitrate I have (210-224kbps) is there another similar high-ish quality IEM that would sound good?

Also, I listen to mainly piano music, some rock.

Thanks a bunch for your help

Aug 25, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #1,069 of 1,205
Quote:
So I am thinking about getting these, my only problem is that everyone is saying if your music isn't high quality enough then this well make it sound worse..

So my question is, is 210-224~ kbps good enough? or will it sound bad?

Mid-200kbps MP3s tend to be transparent for the most part, it should be fine. It might be worthwhile to upgrade to a better bitrate there, but you probably won't see too much of a difference, even if you were to AB or ABX test the 210-224kbps against a 320kbps.

Aug 26, 2013 at 3:34 AM Post #1,071 of 1,205
Apart from the mic, they should be same..

Sep 12, 2013 at 2:12 AM Post #1,073 of 1,205
  http://rockitsounds.com/shop/product/?prod_id=16
Is this the actual site and do you think that it is safe to buy from there? I was planning on getting the shure se215 and came across these on here. Unfortunately, the rockit aren't on amazon.ca.
What do yoy recommend? These or the shures?

The R50's if you like a leaner/more analytical sound. Shures if you like more bass and a rolled off treble. Pretty sure that's the official website, so yes it would be safe.

Sep 18, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #1,076 of 1,205

Thanks. The site was just so badly designed, it looked like a fake. lol.

I just got my R-50m's yesterday. Listened to them a bit and they sound great! Coming from the stock iem's that came with my phone I didn't think iems could sound so good.

I ordered them off the site you posted. It took 3 weeks shipping to Canada from China.

Sep 18, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #1,078 of 1,205
Are these stable/Do they work well without the memory wire?
The memory wire on the right side broke inside the heat shrink and won't form well to my ear anymore.

I'd send them back but i'm already in the process of sending my main pair of iems (sm3 v2) for repairs as well and these are the backups for those :s

Sep 18, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #1,079 of 1,205
  Are these stable/Do they work well without the memory wire?
The memory wire on the right side broke inside the heat shrink and won't form well to my ear anymore.

I'd send them back but i'm already in the process of sending my main pair of iems (sm3 v2) for repairs as well and these are the backups for those :s

Everything works better with mine without the mw.  Here is the easy way to remove it:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/600093/rockit-sounds-r-50-review-impressions-appreciation/1020#post_9528582

Sep 21, 2013 at 7:40 AM Post #1,080 of 1,205
Huh, i really hate r-50 ... 

I had shure 535 and i sold them, thinking to get more "analytical", and than i found these, and i dont know why, but when im listening to these, sound is just passing by me for some reason, i can never get into the song the way i could with 535 ... I think the reason is these are so bright that i can never turn up enough to hear lower and mid part of the spectrum in a way i could with shure, and than everything sounds so thin and small ...
Dont get me wrong, they are very transparent, and u can hear everything, and everything is there, it is just that in every song hi hat is louder than the bass and the lead instrument, which really pisses me off ...I dont know why people call this analytical, i never heard this kind of sound on any sound system, mids are always the loudest part in the music, bass is always biggest sounding, here the hi hat is the loudest, and hi hat is the same size as bass if you would imagine it in your head.
I get that they are called analytical cuz they dont change frequency response of the song (although i highly doubt that from what i heard), but this analytical soud, doesent have aything to do with real world representation of the full range sound. 

Probably best words to describe the difference would be that with 535 i felt like im listening to music from a huge stadium sound system, while with these i feel like im listening to music from ipad/laptop speakers ... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back