Rockit Sounds R-50 Reviews and Impressions
Jan 13, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #736 of 1,205
Quote:

I know its a cheaper amp but the E11 warms the R-50 up just enough to make them perfect for the way I like to hear them and opens them up just a little as well..  Now I don't know of a better all around amp that will give them some warmth but I'm sure if you research enough you can find one.

I agree with this. The R-50 with the E11 are a perfect match.

My initial impressions of the R-50 vs. EPH-100: R-50 has really amazing texture and detail especially for string/brass instruments. Vocals are airy and warm, ever so slightly forward but not agressively so to shrink the soundstage. The EPH-100 though not quite as detailed, does have a better soundstage and 3D presentation. I will have to have more head time with these before I write a real opinion about them, but so far I am really quite impressed. Originally I was only going to keep the set I like the most, I have a feeling I'm going to end up keeping them both and using them both... my poor wallet.

Jan 13, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #737 of 1,205
I went ahead and removed the memory wire which was driving me up the wall. It was easier than I thought and the risk to the cable is low if you're careful. Inside the rubber casing is a metal string, You can see its shape through the rubber. If you make a shallow cut along this string, you can just pull it out, opening the rubber in the process. More care needs to be taken close to the earphones themselves.

Now they feel even more fragile than before, but can be easily worn cord-down so that's cool.

Jan 13, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #738 of 1,205
Well, after more time with the R-50, I am in love with them. I've come to the conclusion that I need to curb my Head Fi time for the sake of my wallet :wink:

If anyone wants to read my way too long noobish impression of the R-50 vs. the Yamaha EPH-100, you can find it here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/646049/yamaha-eph100-vs-rock-it-r-50-an-audio-noobs-impression
WARNING: its long and not terribly well written but I figured adding more impressions can help people form a better opinion of something before buying even if its coming from someone with a less than trained ear such as myself.

Jan 14, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #739 of 1,205
Working on a review of the R-50. I really like them but man, they are really making me hate some of my music collection. They're so resolving that they're bringing out all of the flaws, the poor mastering and smoothed over qualities of low bitrate MP3s. Ugh.

But because of that resolving nature, they make the majority of my music collection (high bitrate MP3 and AAC) sound excellent.

Jan 14, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #740 of 1,205
Quote:
I went ahead and removed the memory wire which was driving me up the wall. It was easier than I thought and the risk to the cable is low if you're careful. Inside the rubber casing is a metal string, You can see its shape through the rubber. If you make a shallow cut along this string, you can just pull it out, opening the rubber in the process. More care needs to be taken close to the earphones themselves.

Now they feel even more fragile than before, but can be easily worn cord-down so that's cool.

Do you think adding a drop of super glue (or something of that nature) around that area where the cord exits the rubber covering would make it feel more secure?

Jan 15, 2013 at 7:28 AM Post #741 of 1,205
I'm really trying to like these but I'm finding the sibilance just overwhelms EVERYTHING. Every type of music, every gender of vocalist, all SSS like mad, as do cymbals and drum machines. What's more the 'tinnyness' bleeds into other frequencies and coats everything like a layer of something, in my view affecting the accuracy of what was recorded.

I'm powering them with a Rockboxed Clip+ or PC line out with all sound settings at neutral. Using a Minibox e+ makes them sound fuller but doesn't take the sibilance away. I could EQ them but then that would be tinkering with their factory tuning. 

Having come from a Phonak PFE 121 and a pair of HD600s I was really hoping for these to be better.

Jan 15, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #742 of 1,205
Quote:
I'm really trying to like these but I'm finding the sibilance just overwhelms EVERYTHING. Every type of music, every gender of vocalist, all SSS like mad, as do cymbals and drum machines. What's more the 'tinnyness' bleeds into other frequencies and coats everything like a layer of something, in my view affecting the accuracy of what was recorded.

I'm powering them with a Rockboxed Clip+ or PC line out with all sound settings at neutral. Using a Minibox e+ makes them sound fuller but doesn't take the sibilance away. I could EQ them but then that would be tinkering with their factory tuning. 

Having come from a Phonak PFE 121 and a pair of HD600s I was really hoping for these to be better.

Gotta be a fit issue, or you are just much more sensitive to sibilance than I am since I can only notice very slight sibilance in only a few of the songs I listen to.

Jan 15, 2013 at 9:33 AM Post #743 of 1,205
I didn't really notice a lot of sibilance with my set. I'd maybe try some other tips?

Jan 15, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #744 of 1,205
I'd like to try some other tips - I've tried Phonak's grey silicon ones. Same deal. I could buy more but then I'm adding money to a phone that so far has been less than stellar (for me).

Speaking of the Phonaks, some people say they're sibilant, but I didn't find them to be - they're like fuller bodied versions of the R50s, with no sibilance bleedthrough.

Jan 16, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #745 of 1,205
There's something about R-50 which I find rather enjoyable, has it's own essence or atmosphere lacing the music, timbre is rather natural for a BA based IEM.. I can't recommend it for people wanting a full large low end weighted signature, because it's rather petite how it performs. Just not going to blow your socks of with dubstep or EDM, but feed R-50 acoustic and ambient tracks with strong imaging ./ detailing properties you'll be right at home with this earphone. It sounds nothing like the brand name suggests imo.

Area's R-50 does really well are: Detailing, separation, depth, staging, imaging, timbre. These areas all combine creating a natural involving presentation, especially around the mid range. Treble could use a little more shimmer, decay or sparkle for my tastes, however I never find the treble sibilant, though as I said already there is some present in vocals, and mostly only emphasising sibilance that's already present in tracks, not creating it's own.

I still think for $119 these are a great buy, I prefer them over GR07 MK2, EPH-100, EX600, Klipsch x10 due to the slightly crisper cleaner mid range, a touch cooler than the others. They still do in some reagrds remind me of GR07 and I think that's coming from the timbre. But back to the essence these put off, if you can sense that flavour then feed R-50 suited source material you'll be rewarded greatly.

Jan 16, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #746 of 1,205
Quote:
I still think for $119 these are a great buy, I prefer them over GR07 MK2, EPH-100, EX600, Klipsch x10 due to the slightly crisper cleaner mid range, a touch cooler than the others. They still do in some reagrds remind me of GR07 and I think that's coming from the timbre. But back to the essence these put off, if you can sense that flavour then feed R-50 suited source material you'll be rewarded greatly.

I'm wondering if you'll say the same thing if you have them side by side, given your preference for bass..
size]

Some days I think that the R50 is great or 'objectively better' is, but when i line it up against good dynamic IEMs, my hands seems to reach for the dynamics. 
size]

Jan 16, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #747 of 1,205
I'm wondering if you'll say the same thing if you have them side by side, given your preference for bass..
size]

Some days I think that the R50 is great or 'objectively better' is, but when i line it up against good dynamic IEMs, my hands seems to reach for the dynamics. 
size]

I think R-50 are technically stronger than GR07 in area's mentioned such as depth, separation, detail, (yes detail), layering. GR07 can sound a little smeared in layering to me coming from BA drivers around the mid range, this isn't isn't to say they're bad and part of that advantage comes from R-50's dual BA's speed and accuracy. I think R-50 has stronger technical ability but not necessarily overall presentation. The Vsonics work better with what's there.. I guess it depends what angle you come at this from, I enjoy those technical benefits and a slightly cooler sig.

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #748 of 1,205
Quote:
size]

size]

I agree with you but I sort of went a different path. I love the detail so much in these IEMs that I have actually grown a greater taste for the genres of music that these IEMs shine in. I've been downloading Classical music again like crazy. R-50 + Yo-Yo Ma is audio nirvana.
This song in particular:

Jan 17, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #749 of 1,205
Glad to see these are still getting attention. I love my GR01, which is said to be the same thing. Now that I have a Q701 the GR01's are pretty much only used at the gym, but I still love them. 

Jan 17, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #750 of 1,205
Quote:
Glad to see these are still getting attention. I love my GR01, which is said to be the same thing. Now that I have a Q701 the GR01's are pretty much only used at the gym, but I still love them. 

How do you like your Q701? I was thinking about snagging those if I found them at the right price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back