Rockit Sounds R-50 Reviews and Impressions
Jan 11, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #721 of 1,205
Okay I already ordered my dac- hifimediy sabre, and a whole bunch of different tips. The question now is which amp do I use to give these a tiny bit of warmth. I have been looking into the o2 but everything I have read about it is that its completely transparent. I think I will get that no matter what just to hear it but how about something that will work really well with the r-50 and make them just a touch warmer? Any recommendations would be great!

This is what I'm using, it leans away from neutral offering some warmth. Works very well with R-50.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/644363/c-c-bh-portable-headphone-amp-80-hours-from-a-single-charge-buyer-review

Jan 11, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #722 of 1,205
Quote:
Okay I already ordered my dac- hifimediy sabre, and a whole bunch of different tips. The question now is which amp do I use to give these a tiny bit of warmth. I have been looking into the o2 but everything I have read about it is that its completely transparent. I think I will get that no matter what just to hear it but how about something that will work really well with the r-50 and make them just a touch warmer? Any recommendations would be great!

I know its a cheaper amp but the E11 warms the R-50 up just enough to make them perfect for the way I like to hear them and opens them up just a little as well..  Now I don't know of a better all around amp that will give them some warmth but I'm sure if you research enough you can find one.

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #723 of 1,205
Quote:

My R-50 respond very little to amplification.  See it here in my review in the last section titled "COMPLEMENTARY REMARKS":

http://www.head-fi.org/t/600093/rockit-sounds-r-50-review-impressions-appreciation/435#post_8595847

Update on 2013-01-24:  See an update on this subject here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/600093/rockit-sounds-r-50-review-impressions-appreciation/795#post_9085842

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #724 of 1,205
My R-50 respond very little to amplification.  See it here in my review in the last section titled "COMPLEMENTARY REMARKS":

http://www.head-fi.org/t/600093/rockit-sounds-r-50-review-impressions-appreciation/435#post_8595847

That's really strange, what amp and source were you using Alberto? Because I feel my R-50 perform best using an amp, they sound becomes much larger, fuller I get increased detail.

I also read this part of your review and you bassically said word for word how I felt the day mine arrived. Totally agree! :smile:

When you come from IEMs that have a fuller sound or a bigger sound room than the R-50, you feel like the sound of the R-50 is underdeveloped. It is like driving a four wheel drive vehicle with a 4.0 liter engine and switching to a smaller car with a 1.6 liter engine. At first, there is the feeling that the smaller car has a weak engine. After some time driving it, then the driver gets used to the smaller engine power and realizes that it is more than enough to make the smaller car accelerate quickly and develop good speed. That happens to me all the time when using a bass heavy IEM that has a bigger sound room and switching to the R-50. The sound is really disappointing right after switching IEMs. It stays like that for about one hour. After then, my ears get used to it and the high quality of the R-50's sound is felt and greatly enjoyed.

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #725 of 1,205
At first listen yes the R-50 doesn't sound as full as some IEM's, I came from the TF10 which has a much more hardy sound.  After using them for awhile though they start to sound bigger and I agree with H2O that amp'ing them makes them more open and full sounding, even with my SM3 which is already a fuller sounding IEM with an amp they sound more open as well.  That is strange that you can't hear a difference when amp'ing the R-50 vs unamp'ed.

Jan 12, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #726 of 1,205
Quote:
Quote:

That's really strange, what amp and source were you using Alberto? Because I feel my R-50 perform best using an amp, they sound becomes much larger, fuller I get increased detail.

The following information is included in the review.

My audio setup consists of the following:

1) My desktop PC using foobar2000.  This program has an 18 band equalizer and an added 31 band equalizer plugin that has exactly the same frequencies that are included in analog equalizers used for live sound.  This renders a total of 49 bands.  If I only count once the bands that are present (repeated) in both EQs, there is a total of 45 bands available to tailor the sound, ranging from 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz. (20 kHz).

2) 24 bit /96 kHz tracks.
3) E-MU 0202 USB audio interface (24-bit/192 kHz DAC) with Kernel Streaming drivers.
4) Indeed G3 Hybrid amplifier with a (NOS) GE 5814 WA tube.

Quote:
At first listen yes the R-50 doesn't sound as full as some IEM's, I came from the TF10 which has a much more hardy sound.  After using them for awhile though they start to sound bigger and I agree with H2O that amp'ing them makes them more open and full sounding, even with my SM3 which is already a fuller sounding IEM with an amp they sound more open as well.  That is strange that you can't hear a difference when amp'ing the R-50 vs unamp'ed.

I find that strange, too. HA, HA.  But I will be happy for others if my experience is the exception and not the rule.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/600093/rockit-sounds-r-50-review-impressions-appreciation/795#post_9085842

Jan 12, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #727 of 1,205
Quote:
I also read this part of your review and you bassically said word for word how I felt the day mine arrived. Totally agree!
smile.gif

Quote:
When you come from IEMs that have a fuller sound or a bigger sound room than the R-50, you feel like the sound of the R-50 is underdeveloped. It is like driving a four wheel drive vehicle with a 4.0 liter engine and switching to a smaller car with a 1.6 liter engine. At first, there is the feeling that the smaller car has a weak engine. After some time driving it, then the driver gets used to the smaller engine power and realizes that it is more than enough to make the smaller car accelerate quickly and develop good speed. That happens to me all the time when using a bass heavy IEM that has a bigger sound room and switching to the R-50. The sound is really disappointing right after switching IEMs. It stays like that for about one hour. After then, my ears get used to it and the high quality of the R-50's sound is felt and greatly enjoyed.

As you keep using the R-50, your ears will get smart (so to speak) and the transition time will disappear.  Your ears will immediately adapt to the R-50 sound.  That is a good, strange and amazing thing!

Jan 12, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #728 of 1,205
The following information is included in the review.

My audio setup consists of the following:

1) My desktop PC using foobar2000.  This program has an 18 band equalizer and an added 31 band equalizer plugin that has exactly the same frequencies that are included in analog equalizers used for live sound.  This renders a total of 49 bands.  If I only count once the bands that are present (repeated) in both EQs, there is a total of 45 bands available to tailor the sound, ranging from 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz. (20 kHz).

2) 24 bit /96 kHz tracks.

3) E-MU 0202 USB audio interface (24-bit/192 kHz DAC) with Kernel Streaming drivers.

4) Indeed G3 Hybrid amplifier with a (NOS) GE 5814 WA tube.

Totally believe you dude, I checked out your gear through google, some decent stuff. We do hear things differently. I just use this...works for me..:p

Set flat, No 149 band equalizer here. You're almost ready to launch a NASA space shuttle lol.

Jan 12, 2013 at 1:55 AM Post #729 of 1,205
As you keep using the R-50, your ears will get smart (so to speak) and the transition time will disappear.  Your ears will immediately adapt to the R-50 sound.  That is a good, strange and amazing thing!

That's exactly what happened, exactly, when I first heard them I was totally shocked, I couldn't believe it, remembering I had not heard any other IEM for two months prior. I was already aware that our ears need to adjust but it felt to me no adjusting was going to fix what I was hearing, sure enough now I can fully enjoy them as intended. I'm hoping even over a few more days this will increase more so. :smile:

Now I can switch between both my H-100 ansd R-50 a little more without so much shock.

Jan 12, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #730 of 1,205
My DAC has some amplification for the headphone output.  I will try connect the R-50 when I get them back (they are on loan) directly to the non-amplified 3.5mm jack output to see if there is a difference.  I tested that today with my ATH-CKS77.  The difference was very small between the amplified and non-amplified DAC outputs and was significant between both DAC outputs and the Indeed G3.

Techno Kid:

Did you replace your FiiO stock cable(s) with the $10 Canare cable that is shown in the picture that H2O Fidelity just posted?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5mm-to-3-5mm-plug-headphone-cable-for-headphone-amplifier-Black-cable-/281044134669?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item416f892b0d

Jan 12, 2013 at 2:41 AM Post #731 of 1,205
"Totally believe you dude, I checked out your gear through google, some decent stuff. We do hear things differently. I just use this...works for me..
tongue.gif

Set flat, No 149 band equalizer here. You're almost ready to launch a NASA space shuttle lol."

HA, HA.  It is 49 and not 149 bands.  In the end it is 45 bands, not counting the repeated bands.

Jan 12, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #733 of 1,205
Quote:

Off topic but, I see you use Foobar2000. I just discovered it and absolutely LOVE it. It can be a pain tailoring it because there are so many choices, but dang you can make it look much prettier than anything out there. Also, it has the one feature I've always wanted on wmplayer... right click a song, convert to different format.

Jan 13, 2013 at 5:18 AM Post #734 of 1,205
I've spent a good few days now with R-50, I'm not a believer of balanced armature burn in, though to my ears these have become rather crisp sounding earphone. Unless my brain is continually adjusting my pair sound rather different from that first listen. Some albums like Taylor Swift go down particularly well on R-50, natural, crisp, it sounds ever so slightly warm (slightly) without going over board, instrument separation is some of the best I've heard, non aggressive separation, it seems to ease across without smearing at anytime. Staging is fairly wide and deep, this earphone certainly shows strengths of how good an IEM can sound when everything works together as one. "presentation"

The only thing I cannot recommend is C3 being a very good paring at higher volumes. for people using Colorfly C3 I think amping is the way to go, I just can't get the same sound from them unamped with that player. HM-601 performs well from headphone out, CK4+ is decent though C3 sounds rather thin / light to my ears and under developed. This can all be cured by amping though... a simple add on and how I listen to R-50 fulltime from my sources.

Are they better than H-100? I think so, depending on what kind of signature you want, I think R-50 are techincally stronger and possibly the safest choice over T-Peos with so many mixed feelings on that IEM. H-100 still rips the place to pieces with EDM IMO, sub-bass cannot be matched, It all comes down to what Alberto said about driving a smaller car. That quote above a few posts sums up R-50 pretty well compared to H-100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back