Rockit Sounds R-50 Reviews and Impressions
Nov 5, 2012 at 6:40 AM Post #616 of 1,205
I was experimenting a bit and I found there are a few possibilities for positioning where they don't hurt. Rule one, don't jam them into the ear so hard like I usually do. Rule two, allow them to lie 'flat' in the ear, not sticking outwards. Both are doable and fortunately the sound is completely independent on the earphone positioning.  However the fit isn't so good then so they tend to move around and the memory wire does more damage then good for sticking out. So still not a win-win.

Well, triple tips kinda help the issue, but I'm not a fan of those. 2-flange tips might help, but I don't have any with this diameter. Future sonics are insanely expensive. I might try foam tips. So the question now is: which are a better fit for these, Shure Olives or Comply T100? I have some olive-like foams but they don't fit and are too small. Also, not a fan of bass really, the sound of R50 is perfect as it is.

Nov 5, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #617 of 1,205
Quote:
I was experimenting a bit and I found there are a few possibilities for positioning where they don't hurt. Rule one, don't jam them into the ear so hard like I usually do. Rule two, allow them to lie 'flat' in the ear, not sticking outwards. Both are doable and fortunately the sound is completely independent on the earphone positioning.  However the fit isn't so good then so they tend to move around and the memory wire does more damage then good for sticking out. So still not a win-win.

Well, triple tips kinda help the issue, but I'm not a fan of those. 2-flange tips might help, but I don't have any with this diameter. Future sonics are insanely expensive. I might try foam tips. So the question now is: which are a better fit for these, Shure Olives or Comply T100? I have some olive-like foams but they don't fit and are too small. Also, not a fan of bass really, the sound of R50 is perfect as it is.

The R-50 have a small diameter nozzle as compared to other IEMs.  It is likely that many non stock tips will fit loosely on those nozzles.  Here is a link where H2OFidelity explains how to fix the loose tips problem:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/577712/yamaha-eph-100/2610#post_8629095

Nov 5, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #618 of 1,205
Quote:
Quote:
You will just get the sound from the right channel on the left ear and the left channel on the right ear.

That's exactly what I don't want, thus my comment about channel swapping. I rather keep the music intact, I mean different channels is why we have stereo in the first place.

But if I ever decide to keep and recable the R50, I might have the shells swapped to wear them cable-down
etysmile.gif

I bet you that in a blind test with channel swapping, you would not be able to tell whether the A or B set up is the one that has the channels swapped.  You are still getting the full sound.  Still, have you tried wearing the R-50 straight down without channel swapping?  I have, and they still fit and sound right.

Nov 5, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #619 of 1,205
Quote:

I bet you that in a blind test with channel swapping, you would not be able to tell whether the A or B set up is the one that has the channels swapped.  You are still getting the full sound.  Still, have you tried wearing the R-50 straight down without channel swapping?  I have, and they still fit and sound right.

With most music probably not, but some music is recorded with clear stereo effect in mind. Example - Rolling Stones: Fade To Black.

Also, every orchestra recording. I mean, why do we bother discussing things like airiness, instrument separation and stage width if we just reverse channels...

But yeah, eventually I did try it
biggrin.gif
I couldn't get them to fit properly so the point is moot anyway.

Quote:

The R-50 have a small diameter nozzle as compared to other IEMs.

I know, that's why I ask 'Comply T100 vs Olives'... I have lots of different tips, I usually get a handful from ebay from time to time. For some reason, the only *double-flange* tips with narrow nozzle I'm aware of are the Future Sonic tips (also recommended in this thread), but they're only sold in UK for a really beefy price.

Bummer, since double tips are the best for me. But for some reason, with narrow nozzles, one has to jump directly from single-flange to triple-flange or foams. Etymotic, Shure... All the same.

Nov 5, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #620 of 1,205
"With most music probably not, but some music is recorded with clear stereo effect in mind."

You don't lose the stereo effect or any sound effect when you swap channels.  The effect just changes direction if it produces the sense of the sound moving from left to right or right to left.

Nov 5, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #621 of 1,205
Quote:
Also, every orchestra recording. I mean, why do we bother discussing things like airiness, instrument separation and stage width if we just reverse channels...

Like Alberto said. All those things are still valid. 2 channel stereo still works. Just the soundstage is reversed right to left, a mirror image. Any perceived differences other than would be due to the difference in your hearing between your two ears, as well as your expectations that the bass would be on the left and the vocals on the right with a familiar song. It doesn't effect the SQ.

Nov 28, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #624 of 1,205
The silicon cover helps protect and keeping them from cracking or braking so I'd leave them on.  Also they can rip if you take them off and they also stretch out quite a bit.  If you really need to you slide them off from back to front you use the opening that's around the cord, you have to stretch the crap out of them but they'll come off.

Nov 28, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #626 of 1,205
Oh, I don't think you can remove that, do they not fit right?  I think their memory wire is some of the best I've used and it very ears to get them to fit great imo, I have the to where they really don't even touch any part of my ear.

Nov 28, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #627 of 1,205
Quote:
I'm not talking about silicone cover on earphones, but about memory wire on cable :)

I've also been quite curious as to if the fit improves at all without the memory wire.  let us know if you do end up removing it.  
I don't think its bad (its definitely the best i've dealt with), but given the choice between wire and no wire, i'd prefer to take the latter

Nov 28, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #628 of 1,205
I guess I'm one of the few that likes memory wire, I wish my BA200 had some because the just slip of my ears every now and then and that sucks with memory wire I don't ever have that problem.

Nov 30, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #629 of 1,205
Hey Bina
wink.gif
I asked the same thing before but nobody seems to have done this. I think I'm gonna remove those earguides later, mine are both lose anyway so they're more of a nuisance. It's not like the engineers thought about the ergonomics terribly hard.

Dec 1, 2012 at 6:25 AM Post #630 of 1,205
There's going to be an influx of new R-50 owners do to Jokers positive review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back