Rockit Sounds R-50 Reviews and Impressions
May 10, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #242 of 1,205
Unfortunately I no longer have the SM3 but from memory I think the over all clarity is similar but the sound stage is significantly different. The Sm3 has a unique sound stage puts a person in the center of the music whereas the R50 is more traditional in this aspect. As for size if sound stage I think the R50 is typical for an IEM of this type so it's not huge but is not tiny either, it's just average. The good news though is the BA's handle instrument seperation very well due o their more precise nature. BTW the SM3 is a darker presentation in my opinion but has more bass. I think the R50 is maybe more balanced sonically and has a slight increase in treble presence. I think both IEM's treble roll off a bit too quickly for my taste but again I want to see if get used to this as it probably my being used to dynamic drivers as anything.

May 10, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #243 of 1,205
Quote:
Guys, anybody ordered via their site directly (not Amazon)?
Do they openly mark the package as $119.99? Or lower / discreet value?

Didn't see them on Amazon. The $119 price sounds right. No discounts, if they compare favorably to much more expensive earphones, then they are already a bargain.

May 10, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #244 of 1,205
Yeah Amazon is out of the R-50, a friend of mine tried to order a pair.  From the Rockit Sounds site they still show them in stock and the price is the same with free shipping.  I don't know why Amazon shows them out of stock when they ship from the same place as if you order from the Rockit Sounds website.

May 10, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #245 of 1,205
Quote:
Yeah Amazon is out of the R-50, a friend of mine tried to order a pair.  From the Rockit Sounds site they still show them in stock and the price is the same with free shipping.  I don't know why Amazon shows them out of stock when they ship from the same place as if you order from the Rockit Sounds website.

If the price margin is tight, then Rockit Sounds is better selling them direct. Amazon takes their pound of flesh with every sale; on occasion I sell used books on Amazon, so this is from personal experience.

May 10, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #247 of 1,205
Quote:
Sorry if it was unclear. The question was: do they declare the package value as $119.99 or they are more discreet, like DX and others.

Sorry I wasn't really answering your question just saying Amazon's out but I have know clue if it says 119.99 because I got mine from Amazon like I think most did.  You can shoot them an email and see what they say.

May 11, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #248 of 1,205
Well unfortunately it appears I have been spoiled by higher end gear to the point I am unable to enjoy these little beauties. So anyone interested watch the FS section as I will be unloading my pair shortly for a bit of a discount (and I will make sure the invoice is shipped with the IEM's so these will still have warranty).

The botton line is the treble just wasn't what I have grown used to. That's not to say it's bad in any way as many people find the headphones I have grown to like to be too treble happy. So if your someone who doesn't like to much treble you will LOVE this headphone. But if your like me and like cymbals to just live on for a few more milliseconds after the crash then I suggest you will want to move on to something else.

I have to say my disatisfaction with these was quite demoralizing as I was starting to wonder if I could find something that would match the love I have for my full-size SRH-1440 headphones. The good news is I think I have found the IEM alternative to the Shures, the bad news is they cost $300. Now before anyone asks what they are I will not state that here, as this thread is about a perfectly good and affordable IEM plus I want to wait a little while to make sure I stay happy with my new found IEM. But if I have piqued anyone's interest PM me or watch for either a new thread to start up or if there is already an appreciation thread watch for lots of activity is that thread to kick in to high gear
wink_face.gif

May 13, 2012 at 7:09 AM Post #249 of 1,205
Quote:

I have been wanting to own a BA driver IEM but their analytical nature and possible sibilant sound has kept me at bay. Luckily for me, I stumbled across this thread by mistake and read the review on 1st page by technokid. The warmer presentation caught my attention. After following thru the thread, R-50 seems to be a great value BA driver IEM at that price range. I decided to defer my purchase of GR07 and take a plunge with R-50. Before 5th May I was browsing the R-50 reviews on Amazon and there were in stock but only two left. I suppose I was the one ordering the last piece from Amazon on 7th May, after dweaver. They are expected to reach my place around third week of May coz I used ComGateway's services to collate other Amazon purchases of my cousin and courier in one shipment.

Coming from dynamics, I am rather intrigued and excited by how R-50 will sound. The only BA driver IEM i have tested is Sony XBA-1.

Still an amateur in this hobby, I hope to post some initial impressions with my limited vocabulary on sound description when I get my hands on these.

May 15, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #251 of 1,205
Quote:
Guys, anybody ordered via their site directly (not Amazon)?
Do they openly mark the package as $119.99? Or lower / discreet value?

In my case the package was marked as a gift and the declared value was $2.  It also describes the content as "earphone 1"  That value is too low/discrete to be believed for an EMS shipped package.  So, whoever has to deal with that information as the package reaches your location, will know that the declared value could not be the real value.  Also, from the rest of the information that is included in the package and the way it looks, it does not seem that there would be any difference in the package appearance and information whether you order the R-50 through Amazon.com or directly from the Rock It Sounds website.

There have been no reports here on Head-Fi about any customs trouble or import duties to be paid, by those who have ordered the R-50 with a US destination address.  What is your location?  If you are located in the US, the way to go is to order them through Amazon.com.  Techno Kid has just posted that Amazon.com has them back in stock.  If you are located somewhere else, your only choice, is to order them directly from their website.  There is a PayPal payment option during checkout, which for the time being, speaks well about their trustworthiness.

May 16, 2012 at 8:52 AM Post #253 of 1,205
I work nights and get to listen to music pretty much the whole time and it just blows me away how good the R-50 sounds for only costing $120.  I try to come up with reason to make me think of a flaw but there really isn't any, they just don't have any real weaknesses.  Now I haven't heard many $500 an up IEM's but of the IEM's I have and others I've heard the R-50 can hold its own with any of them.  One IEM I'd like to compare them with is the CK10 which many consider the best TWFK based IEM and at around $250 to $300 I doubt its really worth the extra $150 or so.  I'd let joker borrow them for a review but I like them to much to go a few weeks without them.  I really hope theres other people here that have ordered a pair and will post some reviews, I know I'm not crazy but to know others like them as much as I do it will just make me feel better about myself 
bigsmile_face.gif

May 16, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #254 of 1,205
Have them, R-50's, but not sure about tips, inclosed tips just didn't do it for me. Any suggestions?

May 16, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #255 of 1,205
Quote:
Have them, R-50's, but not sure about tips, inclosed tips just didn't do it for me. Any suggestions?

In the second review of the R-50 at Amazon.com, the reviewer mentions the tips that he thought were the best match for the R-50.  You can see it here:

http://www.amazon.com/Monitor-Balanced-Armature-Earphones-Earbuds/product-reviews/B005XSBNG4/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back