Rockhopper or MisterX Mini3 for D2000 High Gain or Low Gain
Oct 17, 2007 at 9:25 PM Post #31 of 45
Awesome, I'm not gonna lie, I'm pretty content with my D2000 out my computer and I'm just curious how much better the Mini3 will imporve it but I think I'm set for a while, at least untill I have more money to spend

Oct 17, 2007 at 9:45 PM Post #32 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cankin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To prevent any buyer's remorses, please look at this review

Mini^3 is ranked higher than SR-71, Hornet “M” and Tomahawk, but I believe these offerings from Ray have their advantages in different area too

I'm assuming this last statement is due to the fact that Ray builds amps that deliver whats on the recording without filtering or coloring? For me this falls under that sound signature giese as each amp depending on configuration and parts applications are going to have their individual sound, to me one of the reason's Ray amps all sound similar is because he builds to have the truest unaltered signal from the source as possible.

I will say I much prefer the looks of the Mini^3 without the rubber Oval rings on the end caps plus the custom face place also kicks them up a notch:wink:

Oct 17, 2007 at 9:53 PM Post #33 of 45
How hard would it be to take of the blank face plates on my own and place the custom ones? Do I need any special tools and can I mess up the amp by doing this?

Oct 17, 2007 at 11:17 PM Post #35 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigizzy75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do I need any special tools?

Philips screwdriver
tongue.gif

Oct 18, 2007 at 1:52 AM Post #39 of 45
I ran an interesting experiment tonight with my mini³ to test the power of the gain setting of 2 with my HD580s. Results are as measured with my RadioShack Sound Level Meter with the sensor approximately 1/2" from the driver surface. Test track was Dimmu Borgir's In Death's Embrace, used for it's near constant thrash. Source was my 30gig Zune, volume at max. What follows are the db readings for various volume positions.

Vol Pos / ##db

9 o'clock / 55db (comfortably quiet in my book)
10 o'clock / 68 db (nearing as loud as I listen)
11 o'clock / 76 db (pretty loud)
12 o'clock / 88 db (loud)
3 o'clock / 95 db (sounds like there are speakers in the room)
5 o'clock / 100 db (YIKES!)

So, unless you're interested in going deaf rapidly a gain of 2 will work just fine with Senns.

Hope that helps some of you out.

Nov 4, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #45 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by thrall /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can the raised edge along the front and back panels removed? Or is it part of the plate?

It depends on whether the case is a Hammond 1455C801 or 1455C802. The '801 has a separate plastic bezel and aluminum panel, and the panel can be installed without the bezel, whereas the '802 has an integrated plastic bezel/panel and cannot be separated. Click on the links to see the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back