Rockhopper or MisterX Mini3 for D2000 High Gain or Low Gain
Oct 16, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #16 of 45
Okay guys moment of truth,

Should I go High Gain or Low gain?

In RockHopper I think it is Gain of 2 or 5?

Thanks again,

Izzy

Oct 16, 2007 at 8:55 PM Post #17 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigizzy75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That looks slick, So wow prefer it better than the hornet? That is quite the statement. Is there anyone else who has tested it to the hornet. Because that would be awesome if it amounts up to that caliber. (Granted I have not heard one and I guess I'm basing that reputation on everyone else's comments (I think thats wrong right?
blink.gif
))

I compared the Mini^3 directly to a Hornet M a few months ago and definitely preferred the Mini^3. Liked the Mini^3 enough to build my own ^-^

Oct 16, 2007 at 9:29 PM Post #18 of 45
I was actually thinking of doing that when christmas break start so I can have some time on researching on how to do it correctly.

About to pull the trigger on rockhopper but I dont know which gain to get for the D2000s

I feeling the high gain but I hope that wont have to much noise floor.

Izzy

Oct 17, 2007 at 12:03 AM Post #19 of 45
I too am seriously considering the Rockhopper M^3, and I'll also be using it with Denon D2000s. Which gain setting to get? Well, I figure that 5 would be best for me, since I'd prefer more versatility and won't ever be using IEMs.

Oct 17, 2007 at 2:07 AM Post #20 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by joeq70 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I too am seriously considering the Rockhopper M^3, and I'll also be using it with Denon D2000s. Which gain setting to get? Well, I figure that 5 would be best for me, since I'd prefer more versatility and won't ever be using IEMs.

maybe I'm mistaking, but if you choose a gain setting of 5 this thing will be very loud, and you will not have much range with the volume knob?

Am I mistaking? denon D20000 are 25 ohms!

Oct 17, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #21 of 45
Well thats what I'm kinda worried about.
I just ordered my Mini3 from Rockhopper because he was the first one to respond and really the only one who answered my questions. And thats what really came down to my decision of who to pick. Thanks to all of you but I would like to know if I made the right choice of choosing gain 5 instead of 2.

Thanks Head-fi,

Izzy

Oct 17, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #22 of 45
Quote:

About to pull the trigger on rockhopper but I dont know which gain to get for the D2000s

Izzy

Thrice (Rockhopper) owns D5000s, so he should know that answer for you.

Oct 17, 2007 at 3:40 AM Post #23 of 45
Either gain setting will be fine for the D2000's. If you plan on using other full-sized cans (which may have higher impedance/lower sensitivity ratings) with the Mini^3, a gain of 5 will do you more justice. If you plan on using IEM's, I'd say you'd be much better off with a gain of two.

Both gain settings should have relatively similar noise floors, however, depending on your source, the ambient static/noise from that will get amplified along with your music. Make sure you're using a worthy source for your new Mini^3 and D2000's, otherwise your money will have been spent in vain!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 17, 2007 at 6:21 AM Post #26 of 45
wow. i never knew that the minibox-e and the mini³ were that high in regards! almost like a FOTM!

:p

Oct 17, 2007 at 3:40 PM Post #28 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by uraflit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow. i never knew that the minibox-e and the mini³ were that high in regards! almost like a FOTM!

Have you heard a Mini^3? I don't think it is FOTM. It is simply the best DIY portable amp currently available. Being the best DIY amp puts it above several commercial amps.

Oct 17, 2007 at 7:13 PM Post #29 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by uraflit /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Is not FOTM, IMO the Mini^3 and the MiniBox-3 are great sounding amps that are serious contenders and should be considered by anyone contemplating purchasing a portable amp.

Oct 17, 2007 at 7:28 PM Post #30 of 45
Quote:

So is an 5.5 Ipod with a ALO Cryo Line out an ok source?

You don't need to worry. You should be blown away with your rig's performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back