Rockbox Xduoo X3
Mar 29, 2018 at 4:42 AM Post #2,221 of 2,617
The use of plural 'YOU' / personal YOU' / evocative 'YOU' is, at best, confusing...

Has any of those experiencing the non-working firmware switch issue gone through ALL the posts relevant to this problem (or re-installing the XDUOO X3 original f/ware)...? This forum is, after all, for self documentation and help should be sought after self due diligence.

The vast majority of the users who have installed the Rockbox f/ware have no problem with the use of the manufacturer's f/ware. The manufacturer can make changes to the internal design / components without notification as long as the device performs within the provided specs. Let us not forget that using a non manufacturer-certified firmware is done at one's OWN RISK.

Askkoy, I consider myself spanked and told off and thanks for the English lesson, I would have preferred help with my issue. But what to expect ...

Apr 4, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #2,222 of 2,617
Hello,

Well, the next stage in the audyssey continues. Shipping this back will cost almost as much as another unit would, insane. I was wondering therefor if it would be possible to remove the battery, which is the problem (reason i'm trying to send it back), and (the reason it won't charge) and replace it?

Thanks.
Dave.

Apr 4, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #2,223 of 2,617
Hello,

Well, the next stage in the audyssey continues. Shipping this back will cost almost as much as another unit would, insane. I was wondering therefor if it would be possible to remove the battery, which is the problem (reason i'm trying to send it back), and (the reason it won't charge) and replace it?

Thanks.
Dave.

Yes, you can replace the battery.

If you search this thread (or mybe it's the main X3 thread), you'll find a post with a link to a seller that has the batteries. It might be Penon but I can't remember.

You'll need a very small Torx driver to get the 2 case screws off (size T5). The battery is held on with double sided tape. Pull it off or gently heat with a hair dryer. The battery just plugs onto the circuit board with a small plug. Install the new battery in the reverse of these instructions.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #2,225 of 2,617
hello guys i hope someone of you can help me
i installed succesfully Rockbox , but i am unable to have dual boot functionality to go to the original firmware
When i presso the Lock button and power on i have only a black screen and i need to reset it to come back to Rockbox!

Apr 5, 2018 at 11:29 PM Post #2,226 of 2,617
hello guys i hope someone of you can help me
i installed succesfully Rockbox , but i am unable to have dual boot functionality to go to the original firmware
When i presso the Lock button and power on i have only a black screen and i need to reset it to come back to Rockbox!

It has been mentioned before, there was a change in some component in recent versions of the X3 which prevented Rockbox dual-boot to original fw to not work.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2018 at 3:02 AM Post #2,228 of 2,617
Nobody of you with the same problem tried the X3 flashing tool with a Win 7 pc?
Afico,
You will not get help for your problem here, I have tried and so have others. If you lucky somebody will state the obvious or will point you at some earlier posts where people have had the same/similar issues, but other as some speculative answers as one above you will not get.
With regards to the manual flash I would say it does not work you will get two error message and the flash will fail, that what happend to me. Even if you get your hands on the flashing tool inclusive the instructions on how to it, it will fail. So you either you live with a bricked X3 (Rockbox should work)
till the time somebody has worked out how to fix it or you get in touch with the vendor in China who if your lucky will help you and offer you to send it back for repair. Sorry I cannot give you any other advise, but it seems we either a faulty batch of X3s or modiefied X3s that will do the Rockbox but after
the dual-boot will not work. I send mine back to China to get it fixed as I did not receive any help here either other then some smart arse comments about my English. I wish you good luck!

Apr 6, 2018 at 3:05 AM Post #2,229 of 2,617
Afico,
You will not get help for your problem here, I have tried and so have others. If you lucky somebody will state the obvious or will point you at some earlier posts where people have had the same/similar issues, but other as some speculative answers as one above you will not get.
With regards to the manual flash I would say it does not work you will get two error message and the flash will fail, that what happend to me. Even if you get your hands on the flashing tool inclusive the instructions on how to it, it will fail. So you either you live with a bricked X3 (Rockbox should work)
till the time somebody has worked out how to fix it or you get in touch with the vendor in China who if your lucky will help you and offer you to send it back for repair. Sorry I cannot give you any other advise, but it seems we either a faulty batch of X3s or modiefied X3s that will do the Rockbox but after
the dual-boot will not work. I send mine back to China to get it fixed as I did not receive any help here either other then some smart arse comments about my English. I wish you good luck!
Well for me it is simpler..send it back to Amazon ehehe and get a new one

Apr 6, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #2,231 of 2,617
Anyone know the size of the screws? A link to buy them? Mine are stripped.. thanks

Look up 7 posts.

Also, the screws are stainless steel. If they are stripped, it's not the screws that are stripped but rather the soft aluminum. Stainless steel is much stronger than aluminum.

You're going to have to come up with another plan. Either tap the holes larger, or switch from the stock machine screws to non-macine thread screws (like the threads on wood or drywall screws) or a slightly larger diameter. You might also be able to get away with a drop of loctite on the existing screws, or maybe a small drop of super glue.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #2,232 of 2,617
I am curious if anyone has had any problems with charging their X3 if they run the battery really low? My X3 got stuck in a boot loop when I plugged it into a USB charger where it would show the boot logo and then I'd hear the relay-like click it makes when it powers down(or up) as the screen went black. It would keep doing this endlessly until screen went black and nothing could bring the player to power on.

I ended up cracking open the player and just wired a power supply to the X3 to confirmed that it was the battery and not the player. Sure enough it booted up and everything worked fine. Once I plugged USB in after the player was running I was able to disconnect the powersupply and the X3 kept running(and charging the battery). I let the X3 charge for like 20 minutes and it works normally.

This is the 3rd this has happened so it's a little worrisome. It only happens if I run the X3 till it autopowers off from low battery.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2018 at 9:19 AM Post #2,233 of 2,617
I am curious if anyone has had any problems with charging their X3 if they run the battery really low? My X3 got stuck in a boot loop when I plugged it into a USB charger where it would show the boot logo and then I'd hear the relay-like click it makes when it powers down(or up) as the screen went black. It would keep doing this endlessly until screen went black and nothing could bring the player to power on.

I ended up cracking open the player and just wired a power supply to the X3 to confirmed that it was the battery and not the player. Sure enough it booted up and everything worked fine. Once I plugged USB in after the player was running I was able to disconnect the powersupply and the X3 kept running(and charging the battery). I let the X3 charge for like 20 minutes and it works normally.

This is the 3rd this has happened so it's a little worrisome. It only happens if I run the X3 till it autopowers off from low battery.
I've drained it completely and it recharges normally. So I'm no help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back