Rockbox Xduoo X3
Mar 27, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #1,517 of 2,617
AAC is a codec, but the data needs to be wrapped in an mp4 container. For audio files this generally has a .m4a extension as a result of Apple's usage. Raw AAC data won't work, but you're unlikely to come across that unless you demultiplex another (typically video) file.
How are you creating your AAC files?

Mar 27, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #1,522 of 2,617
Simply ripped them off the CDs into AAC with Free Audio Encoder.

Ok, I downloaded that (I assume it's this program) and I think I see the problem. Go to Options->General Settings, I assume you have the encoder set as 'FAAC MP4A/AAC Encoder'. Click the Configure encoder button then click on the format tab. Is your file format set to AAC? If so, that won't work for the X3 (and most other music players as well). Set it to MP4 and set the option below it to LC. 

I have no idea why this program has an option to spit out raw AAC data - only sophisticated music players like foobar can read that. If you've been encoding everything as AAC then you'll need to multiplex these files into mp4 containers (a .m4a file is simply an mp4 file that only contains audio, so treat the two as the same thing). You can try MP4Muxer, which will wrap the aac files you've already ripped into mp4 files that the X3 can play.

Mar 27, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #1,524 of 2,617
Thanks for the tips, folks. Sadly, it was faster to re-rip my files than too multiplex them one song at a time. So, I'm already through the A, B, and C artists. More to come. Thanks for helping me track this down - I love RockBox and didn't want to give it up.

Mar 27, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #1,525 of 2,617
Here's a fun one: OTG Playlists on XVortex's 170324 build seem to be duplicating songs somehow.

It seems to happen on poweroff after saving the playlist, so I wonder if the playlist control file is getting corrupted (maybe with buffered tracks?) and loading doubles when the player is powered back on. However, this doesn't happen consistently.

Songs tend to be added after the currently playing song.

I'm currently trying to figure out at what stage this is happening, but I have a playlist I created completely on the X3 by adding single tracks from different folders. I've been listening to it Shuffled and on Repeat All, adding songs (using the Insert Shuffled command) as I think of them and saving over the existing .m3u8 file every few songs. After a day's worth of powering the player on and off as I ran errands and added more songs, I ended up with doubles and triples of existing songs, many times in the same order as they appeared earlier in the playlist--sometimes immediately after themselves, sometimes later in the playlist.

...great--I tried fiddling with the player, and it looks like saving the playlist is what triggers it. I can power the player on and off without a change, but if I power it off after saving the playlist, something happens. This time, my playlist went from 57 tracks to 49. Removing tracks is new. But the track that was next up got doubled anyway, which means I somehow lost 9 tracks.

Is anybody else running into this? I've been using Rockbox for ten years and I've never run into this phenomenon. This is how I tend to build playlists, too. :/ I'm so confused!

Mar 28, 2017 at 3:23 AM Post #1,526 of 2,617
Thanks for the tips, folks. Sadly, it was faster to re-rip my files than too multiplex them one song at a time. So, I'm already through the A, B, and C artists. More to come. Thanks for helping me track this down - I love RockBox and didn't want to give it up.

To convert all the aac files in a folder tree into mp4 files just create a new text file in the root of your music library (i.e. if all your music is stored in subfolders under C:\Music, create it in that directory) and rename it to makemp4.bat.
Right-click on the text file and select edit, then paste in the following line of text and save the file:
 for /R %%F in (*.aac) do "C:\Program Files (x86)\MP4Muxer\mp4creator.exe" -create="%%F" "%%~pF%%~nF.m4a"

This assumes you've extracted the mp4muxer files to "C:\Program Files (x86)\MP4Muxer\" you will need to change that if you extracted them somewhere else.
Then click on the batch file and all files will be automatically converted. If you want to clean up the old .aac files afterwards make another batch file in the music root and paste in
  for /R %%F in (*.aac) do del "%%F"

but first make sure the conversion worked properly.

No need to do them one-by-one :)

Mar 28, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #1,528 of 2,617
charleski, you're a lifesaver! Working like a charm for the last half hour or so - lots of albums on a 200 GB drive! I was miffed because I could easily have done this with a Linux command file, but I never bothered to learn the Windows syntax. Thanks again.

Mar 28, 2017 at 10:04 AM Post #1,529 of 2,617
charleski, you're a lifesaver! Working like a charm for the last half hour or so - lots of albums on a 200 GB drive! I was miffed because I could easily have done this with a Linux command file, but I never bothered to learn the Windows syntax. Thanks again.

If you're familiar with Linux and are running a 64-bit install of Windows 10 with the latest update, you can now enable a bash shell within Windows that gives a high degree of linux functionality. Details are here.

The simple script I posted will work on all Windows versions, though.

Mar 28, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #1,530 of 2,617
  I need some instructions. How do I create a random playlist containing both SD cards?

I have to do this same thing because after adding the 256GB card my playlists get so large it causes the X3 to crash (even when modifying the 'Max Playlist' value).

How I do it is to create 1 playlist (using Rockbox) of all songs on SD1. Then create another playlist (using Rockbox) of all songs on SD2. Then simply edit the files in Notepad (the files are simple text files). Select everything in the files and paste them into 1 single file (I call ALLMusic). Or you could select everything in the SD2 list and append it to the SD1 file. Either method works great for me and only take a few seconds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back