Rockbox Xduoo X3
Mar 10, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #1,397 of 2,617
Well a big biog thanks for the update, the buttons now being correct is great, but the fact that there is not that annoying pause when changing tracks is the game changer for me, keep up the good work :)

Mar 11, 2017 at 2:57 AM Post #1,398 of 2,617
I have upgraded to the latest version 170310. Everything is perfect except that when frequency selection is set to automatic then I hear strong click sound between some tracks.

When I change the frequency selection to a fixed value (44.1) then the click sound is gone.

Is it just me who has such a problem?

Mar 11, 2017 at 3:12 AM Post #1,399 of 2,617
I have upgraded to the latest version 170310. Everything is perfect except that when frequency selection is set to automatic then I hear strong click sound between some tracks.

When I change the frequency selection to a fixed value (44.1) then the click sound is gone.

Is it just me who has such a problem?

I have the same problem. With some track in mp3 format I hear some click sound when changing tracks.

Mar 11, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #1,400 of 2,617
That click is probably inherent in the mp3 files. Not all mp3s are encoding to playback gapless, so you may get a "click" as it changes between songs as either the beginning or the end of the files may contain other data that's not part of the sound data. I believe that's the case anyway.

You could minimise this by crossfading.....but this does kind of ruin albums that are meant to flow from one track to the next.

You could try re ripping the cds using a different format or different mp3 encoder?

Mar 11, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #1,401 of 2,617
That click is probably inherent in the mp3 files. Not all mp3s are encoding to playback gapless, so you may get a "click" as it changes between songs as either the beginning or the end of the files may contain other data that's not part of the sound data. I believe that's the case anyway.

You could minimise this by crossfading.....but this does kind of ruin albums that are meant to flow from one track to the next.

You could try re ripping the cds using a different format or different mp3 encoder?

I have found the reason of the noisy clicks in the latest version 170310.

The click always happen when I skip between tracks with different sampling rate. So if you listen to a single album which tracks have the same sampling rate (usually 44.1kHz) then there are no clicks.

But in my case sometimes I have in the directory mix of FLAC files from different sources, most of them are 44.1kHz but several are 48kHz. In this case there is a noisy click whenever I skip from 44.1track to 48track or vice versa.

The problem is only in the latest rockbox version 170310 which introduced a new functionality "automatic frequency selection". In the latest rockbox version the parameter "frequency" has new default value "automatic".

Because of this "click" problem I had to set the parameter "frequency" back to value "44.1kHz".

I hope that great rockbox creators will fix that problem because "automatic frequency selection" would be a super feature.

Mar 11, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #1,404 of 2,617
I stand corrected :)

Still, most mp3s are at 44 anyway? I'll keep it on that when I get round to updating :)

Thanks xvortex for your continued and totally free support for this player. Next time I'm on my laptop I'll be sure to drop a donation your way. (Mobile browser can be a bit iffy).

Mar 11, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #1,405 of 2,617
New version:47ec887-170310
Thanks Igor B. Poretsky for help.

- Home and Option buttons action has been changed;
- Delay between track (while fast prev / next browsing through files) has been eliminated;
- Automatic frequency selection (44100 / 48000 Hz) has been implemented
(check Settings -> Playback Settings -> Frequency).

Enjoy!

Thanks for the dedication.
Will you be merging your git hub repository, with all of these changes?

My personal code on my laptop is falling behind :frowning2:

Thanks

Mar 11, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #1,408 of 2,617
I have found the reason of the noisy clicks in the latest version 170310.

The click always happen when I skip between tracks with different sampling rate. So if you listen to a single album which tracks have the same sampling rate (usually 44.1kHz) then there are no clicks.

I presume the code is switching PLL frequencies in the change between 44.1 and 48. There will be no way to do that and keep gapless play. The only option would be to pause between tracks and mute the output. Unfortunately playing a 48kHz track with the PLL tuned for 44.1 (or vice-versa) introduces a lot of aliasing, so I'd advise leaving automatic on, which is a great addition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back