Rockbox Xduoo X3
Jan 2, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #1,201 of 2,617
Way more useful things than 24 bit support still need to be implemented on the x3. But if you're looking for a fun if fairly useless project, go for it. The implementation should be fairly simple.
I'm not with you on the '24 bit is useless' comment. What's the use of a high definition audio player when it can't play high definition audio. I could have bought another regular MP3 player instead. I have 100+ 24bit albums which sound incredible on xDuoo software, but gapless is missing. Also the slower playing is quite audible. Rockbox fixes gapless AND slower playing, but doesn't deliver 23 bit... Sigh... Wish I could program in Rockbox.
I don't know of any other projects that would be more useful...

Jan 2, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #1,203 of 2,617
I'm not with you on the '24 bit is useless' comment. What's the use of a high definition audio player when it can't play high definition audio. 

On the X3 the higher dynamic range of the DAC is meant to be used for digital volume control, which is already implemented. You can add 24 bit output in software, but it won't help much except for line level output.  

I could have bought another regular MP3 player instead.

If you actually have albums with > 100dB dynamic range and care about these things, it wouldn't have been a bad idea.  You really want something with analog volume control on a portable.  Otherwise you're stuck carrying around a second amp.

Jan 3, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #1,205 of 2,617

.... not sure what if anything has changed though.

I've not noticed any difference in operations of this build. Unfortunately I couldn’t find the code for this build.
I've looked at the code in github and have not found code related to this build number (6695f49).
I was looking for the commit of: 6695f49, but the latest commit to the xvortex branch of rockbox is 3ce4552, from Jun 24 2016. Im wondering if Xvortex has that commit on his own git server somewhere. I did not see this revision anywhere on github dot com.
Against the xvortex/rockbix repo, I did:  git rev-list --all|grep 6695f49, to find the commit,  but nothing came up.

Jan 3, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #1,206 of 2,617
It seems that the only discernible change to the firmware in 6695f49-161218 is mostly cosmetic, and a potential change in opus.codec

Without being able to review the code,  I've taken a look between the binary builds of this latest (6695f49-161218) and the prior one i have on my system(df6898b-160821)

The only differences I see are:
1. the inclusion of the HiFi theme, as noticed by the folder "Hi-Fi", under wps.
2. A binary difference in opus.codec (need to see the code to see exactly what has changed)

Thanks,

Jan 4, 2017 at 2:18 AM Post #1,207 of 2,617
I would like to know about any changes to the Opus codec also .It is the one I use most.
One point Id like to make is that I recently I encoded some ALAC tacks to Opus and put them on My X3.After a second of play every song skipped at the start.This was definitely a Rockbox issue as they played fine on my PC and when I encoded the ALAC files to mp3 they worked fine.I did this a couple of times and got the same result.
Also the new version HI-FI theme is totally different and doesnt really work and is a bit crap tbh.

Jan 4, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #1,208 of 2,617
I would like to know about any changes to the Opus codec also .It is the one I use most.

One point Id like to make is that I recently I encoded some ALAC tacks to Opus and put them on My X3.After a second of play every song skipped at the start.This was definitely a Rockbox issue as they played fine on my PC and when I encoded the ALAC files to mp3 they worked fine.I did this a couple of times and got the same result.
Also the new version HI-FI theme is totally different and doesnt really work and is a bit crap tbh.

https://git.rockbox.org/?p=rockbox.git;a=commit;h=1f8ea9fe27313228e5df67ce6447830b5c30e5e3

Probably this commit was merged.

Jan 6, 2017 at 1:33 AM Post #1,212 of 2,617
  Weird.  Isn't Hi-Fi the only Rockbox theme that fully works on X3?

I was happily using cabbiev2 until Fiery Jack's post about the missing folder. The current version was the first version I installed, so I thought Hi-Fi was some just minor tweak on the fallback theme! Cabbiev2's fonts were a little on the small side, but it did mean more fit on screen at once and things seemed to work well.

Jan 6, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #1,213 of 2,617
Hi Friends,

I am using iPod Nano 1st Gen 4 GB. Actually, I had same 2 GB iPod which I foolishly exchanged under iPod Replacement Program and got 7th Gen which was not sounding good hence I bought this (used one) again recently. However, I noticed one thing, though there seems to be no issue with iPod, I am feeling some less Bass and Punch. Not sure if the reason is that I am using PowerAmp for some time and it has huge Punch and Bass and Boom.  Or may be if I continue to listen to some time, it will be comfortable. PowerAmp has huge Boomy Bass and Punch but sometime it distorted slightly or lacks details actually.

I heard a lot about Rockbox. Is it really good and if I install it on my iPod, will it allow me to give more Punchy, Boomy and Bassy sound with good clarity but no harshness? Something similar to PowerAmp? I noticed that it has configuration option such as Stereo Width, setting for Bass and Treble and big number of Pre Set Equalisers? Can anyone pls suggest what is Rockbox exactly? Also, in case if I don't like that, can I revert my iPod to original Apple Firmware in case if it makes iPod worse than original? Pls suggest.

Regards,
Akash

Jan 6, 2017 at 9:35 AM Post #1,214 of 2,617
Though some old threads, it seems that Rockbox will literally kill the Battery life of Nano 1st Gen. However, that threat was of 2005-2006 so I am not sure if it has changed in the leatest version of Rockbox. Is anyone using Rockbox latest version on Nano 1st Gen and getting good 10-11 Hours battery? Pls suggest.

Just to let you know, I listen to only MP3 Files s not sure if using MP3 or Lossless will make any difference in Battery life of Nao 1st Gen.

Jan 6, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #1,215 of 2,617
This thread is specifically about Rockbox on the XDuoo X3 music player (i.e. not an iPod), so if you want to continue this conversation it might be better to start another thread or post on the rockbox forums. That said, you're in luck - 1st Gen Nano's are a first class citizen on rockbox. See the official rockbox site for details on installing it, as well as to find out more about what rockbox is.

I previously used rockbox on a nano 2g (which was at the time not a stable port) and battery life was fine. I've got no idea what PowerAmp is, so I can't help you there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back