Rockbox Xduoo X3
Aug 6, 2016 at 6:49 AM Post #631 of 2,617
I don't know what to do.. I reinstalled rockbox again and it is the same. What I'm doing right now is to copy all my music files into root under a single folder called MUSIC, both Flac and MP3 files...let's see if that does the trick...

Aug 6, 2016 at 7:19 AM Post #634 of 2,617
Shouldn't matter though. Something else is wrong if nothing happens when you select the files menu. It should display your folders or at least show up as an empty folder or something. Not sure what's wrong, but it seems like it's not recognising the card properly for some reason. Roxkbox is apparently a bit fussier than the stock firmware so even if stock works it might not be reading the card properly in rockbox?

Can't understand why it reads the .rockbox folder to boot the system though but then can't read the files.

Do all the other menus work? I.e. you can go to settings etc?

Aug 6, 2016 at 7:51 AM Post #635 of 2,617
Yes, in fact I can access all menus in rockbox, including the files submenus...
Maybe, in the first place, using the stock firmware I add all my music files without formating my 64g card...so, this is why it can't recognize the folders...this is just an asumption...

Aug 6, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #637 of 2,617
  Thank you for your quick answer, Glenn.
When I click on FILES (button play/pause), nothing happens. The music files doesn't appears.
I have stored my music files on SD card 1 as the images shows:
E:/.rockbox, MUSIC FILES

Inside MUSIC FILES, there are two file folders: Flac, Music Mp3.

I'm desperate with this. Thank you very much!

Hello.

It seems you cannot access your music files, although they are on the same SD card you have installed RockBox on.

I assume your DAP is correctingly accessing the SD card, otherwise you wouldn't launch RockBox.

Maybe when browsing the files you are not browsing the place where your files are, and cannot go up in the folders structure ?

In the .rockbox folder, there is a file named "config.cfg". It's the configuration file, which may register many settings, or not, depending on how deeply you personnalized your configuration. One setting is the point, in your folder structure, where you want to browse to look for music files. With this setting you can force RockBox to look for files in a specified location.

I propose you to
- as your music files are in your "MUSIC FILES" folders,
- take a simple and reliable mp3 file, and put it Inside that directory, on your SD card
- edit the "config.cfg" file, and add anywhere a line saying "start directory: -" (without the quotes ; you can cut and past, as this text comes, cutted and pasted, from my own config.cfg file)

Then start your device, and enter the "file browser" in RockBox, see if you can enter your "MUSIC FILE" folder, pick up your mp3 file, then play it.

Then please report if it works, or if not, report what step you cannot execute : see your folder, or see your file, or any other point.

Depending on your findings, we may process to the next step, until this software serves you well.

Regards,
Thezac

Aug 6, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #638 of 2,617
Personally, I would try starting from scratch and reformatting the card, reloading Rockbox and copying songs. Sounds like you've already spent a lot of time with no results anyway.

Aug 6, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #639 of 2,617
Thanks to both,
In my desperate situation, I reset the Unit, and installed stock firmware again and rockbox again.
My directory structure is like this:
1) In slot 1 (16g SD), properly formated) have two folders: .rockbox and update.zip
2) In slot 2 (64g SD), have two folders: FLAC (including all flac music) and MUSIC (were I have all mp3 music files). Outside this folders I have a music file that came with the SD card from Eagles. This file I moved to MUSIC folder. (All of this with the unit connected to PC windows 10 named E:/ and F:/ respectively)

One question, when I have to edit the config.cfg file, How can I do that? Do you mean with the unit connected in stock firmware to PC and open a notepad file with it? Should I add "start directory...what? the letter asigned to that (in this case the letter E:/?

Thanks again for all your time and effort here.

Aug 6, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #640 of 2,617
Nothing....I just thinking of give up and listen the music only using stock firmware...
One thing, In Settings/File View/Start File Browser at /  this last line doesn't show the directory path or SD card where the unit have to start to search for music files... When I click on this, it says "cleared" and nothing more happens.
MY doubt is if this last line doesn't have to specified the path from were start searching for music files...
Maybe someone from here wants to share his phone number with me to connect trough WhatsApp since in this forum can not upload images so you can see what is happening.
Thank you again!

Rafael

Aug 6, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #641 of 2,617
I didn't realise you were talking about the second sd card slot for one thing.

It might be a problem that the second sd isn't formatted correctly or that there is some incompatibility between the two cards.

Have you tried just using the 64gb card only in the first slot (obviously with the .rockbox folder on it).

I use 2 identical 128gb cards, one in each slot.

It sounds like there is definitely a problem of rockbox reading the second sd card. This explains why it's booting to rockbox but but reading your music files.

Aug 6, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #642 of 2,617

To Rafael Gautier.

There are various malfunction reported in this thread with the dual SD cards usage, and various workarounds ; and as my sole SD card is enough for me to this day, I didn't care reading those posts nor care understanding a problem that doesn't touch me yet. Hence, I cannot help you on that path.

It is possible your rockbox looks for files on the first SD card, and not on the second SD card.

Maybe you can diagnose this being the problem by using, at first, only one SD card with the .rockbox folder, and having some music on it, on the root, or, better, in a dedicated folder that is not in .rockbox. To try this, just copy the .rockbox folder from your 16g SD card to the root of your 64g SD card, remove your 16g card from slot 1 of the DAP, put the 64g SD card in the slot 1 of the DAP, and run the thing.

If it allows you to play those music files, then you will have to investigate the specific dual SD usage problems.

Furthermore, you are asking how editing the config.cfg file. The simplest way is to connect your SD card to your computer (the same way you connected the SD card inorder to write the music files on it, for instance), and using your computer files browser, locate the config.cfg file, and edit it with a text editor. As you're on Windows, Notepad is ok.

Thezac.

Aug 6, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #643 of 2,617
​Ok, what I'm going to do is copy all flac files to a single SD Card (the 16g's one) with the .rockbox folder present. Let's see if that can make the trick...:frowning2:

EDIT: Finally, this did the trick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Looks like the problem is the 64G SD that I have to format. Thank you all for your time and effort!!!!

Aug 6, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #644 of 2,617
  ​Ok, what I'm going to do is copy all flac files to a single SD Card (the 16g's one) with the .rockbox folder present. Let's see if that can make the trick...:frowning2:

Yep, can do the trick.

I was suggesting moving the other way, for
- it  may be quicker to move only the .rockbox folder,
- the 64g's card is bigger,
- when the firmware have been flashed through the "update.zip" file processing, the firmware is changed in a way telling the DAP to
* if lock is on, look for the firmare in the Inside memory (official firmware launch)
* if lock is off, look for the firmware in the .rockbox folder of the first SD card

Hence, when the DAP has been RockBoxed, you only need to have your .rockbox folder in the first SD card to launch it rockboxed

This has some benefits. I mention two.

First, to upgrade to the latest XVortex's RockBox update, you only have to unzip his release on the SD card.
Second, if you're planning to play sounds from the DAP to your speakers on any event, you can actually prepare a special SD card, including the sounds, the equalizer, the playlist, the presets absolutely like you want them, very differently to your dayly use. The complete system and configuration will be recorded to this very SD card. When you want to start it, just insert the SD card, run RB, and forget it.

Thezac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back