Rockbox: testers needed for iPod 4G (Color, Photo) battery life improvements
Feb 10, 2008 at 2:50 AM Post #16 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by direcow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you need to get a patched build from soap, or build your own...

if there's a problem, just overwrite! things should be fine again
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks, direcow!

Feb 10, 2008 at 3:47 AM Post #17 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by subfocus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This looks interesting .... give me a decent battery life for Rockbox with the 5.5g and I may actually start using my Ipod again .

This would be great, I own a U2 special edition iPod and the battery life is crap, wont even last me a day without having to plug it in. It gets annoying when I'm away from home or not by power for any amount of time over a day or two.

Who knows though, the battery might just be on its way out, this is my 3rd replacement model from apple in the last 2 years, sadly my warranty is almost over so I'm hoping the HDD or logic board dosen't crap out on me.

Maybe Rockbox is my answer?

Feb 10, 2008 at 5:55 AM Post #18 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by xdfjdkz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This would be great, I own a U2 special edition iPod and the battery life is crap, wont even last me a day without having to plug it in. It gets annoying when I'm away from home or not by power for any amount of time over a day or two.

Who knows though, the battery might just be on its way out, this is my 3rd replacement model from apple in the last 2 years, sadly my warranty is almost over so I'm hoping the HDD or logic board dosen't crap out on me.

Maybe Rockbox is my answer?

Rockbox won't extend your battery life I'm afraid . Using Rockbox actually lessens the time you can use your Ipod , although with these new updates that is seemingly not such an issue ....However it does have many other advantages , see : Rockbox - Open Source Jukebox Firmware . You might also want to look at getting a decent quality replacement battery for your Ipod. No need to go through Apple either , there are some far cheaper alternatives available that other Head-Fiers should be able to direct you to .

Feb 10, 2008 at 1:20 PM Post #20 of 32
Does Rockbox work with 4th gen B&W iPods using A-data flash memories? Thanks
biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2008 at 1:56 PM Post #21 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does Rockbox work with 4th gen B&W iPods using A-data flash memories? Thanks
biggrin.gif

Well, your question is really off-topic for this thread, but yes, people have successfully used A-Data flash cards with Rockbox. For example: Rockbox and Compact Flash

Feb 10, 2008 at 3:30 PM Post #22 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buschel's battery life improvements have now been committed and are available in the official Rockbox builds.

Darn, darn, darn! I wanted this yesterday at the meet! *Rant done*

I'm so happy, thank you, I'm updating now. Great work you guys!

Feb 11, 2008 at 6:02 AM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buschel's battery life improvements have now been committed and are available in the official Rockbox builds.

Thank You.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Feb 13, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #26 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
here is hoping for the 5.5 gen soon.

I believe I am correct in saying that the battery improvements apply to the 5.5Gs too. Febs can corrct me if I'm wrong, but I checked out the status of the patch to fix this for the 5.5Gs and it says it has been accepted.

See Here.

Feb 13, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #27 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by LDMES /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe I am correct in saying that the battery improvements apply to the 5.5Gs too. Febs can corrct me if I'm wrong, but I checked out the status of the patch to fix this for the 5.5Gs and it says it has been accepted.

See Here.

hmm, I noticed my battery didn't last much longer with the February 10th release. I'll test it tonight and time it myself to see how long since it seems the battery meter is now off.

EDIT: Quote:

All: The current svn is still buggy especially for Video iPods with 60/80GB HDDs. The current svn will drain the battery much faster than e.g. svn 15975. Soap decided to build the new patch based upon the current svn -- I guess because it was getting harder to backport the patch. If you want to have maximum runtime old svn's have to be combined with my patch. This issue is not patch-related. I don't know if anyone is working on this...

Maybe this is why....

Feb 28, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #28 of 32
Have the battery life improvements been implemented into the regular builds? I just got my 4G Photo yesterday. Battery life seems to still be pretty bad. I had it off last night and I woke up this morning and the iPod was completely drained, it wouldn't even boot into disk mode when connected to my PC until after a few minutes. I'll do another full charge and see where it stands.

Feb 28, 2008 at 6:26 PM Post #29 of 32
Do you mean that the battery drained while the player was off? If so, this is a known bug in the Apple firmware, not Rockbox, that causes the player to think that the battery is drained when the player is turned off. The problem manifests itself more frequently with Rockbox because Rockbox turns the player off rather than putting it to sleep, while the Apple firmware puts the player to sleep unless there is no activity for a specific period of time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back