Rockbox: testers needed for iPod 4G (Color, Photo) battery life improvements
Feb 5, 2008 at 2:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Febs

Headphoneus Supremus
One of the Rockbox developers, Buschel, has made great strides over the past month in battery life improvements for Rockbox on PortalPlayer-based players, which include iPods. His improvements have been particularly successful for the iPod Video, because he owns that platform himself and has also had the help of others (including myself) to test his changes. His improvements have not yet been incorporated into the official Rockbox builds, but I expect that they will be any day now.

Buschel has hit a bit of a roadblock with respect to doing the same sort of testing for the iPod Color/Photo because he does not own an iPod Color or Photo and has had difficulty locating testers. There are 11 separate builds that Buschel is trying to test. If you are a Rockbox user with one of these players and willing to do some testing, please visit this thread on the Rockbox forums and follow the links to the download page for the test builds. Buschel is looking for the following information with respect to each of the 11 builds:

- does it start?
- does it play audio?
- does it start, but does not update LCD?

Feb 5, 2008 at 3:34 AM Post #2 of 32
An ipod video 5th generation with longer battery life??!! Are you serious!
I am strongly considering selling my ipod 30gb video. Almost completed the deal!
can you let us know when this build will be available?

Hope you find volunteer for the 4th gen!

regards

Feb 5, 2008 at 3:51 AM Post #3 of 32
he's talking of extended battery life from old rockbox to new rockbox. it is, as far as i know, still an overall lower battery life than you would have with your ipod video in norm.

Feb 5, 2008 at 3:59 AM Post #4 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luminette /img/forum/go_quote.gif
he's talking of extended battery life from old rockbox to new rockbox. it is, as far as i know, still an overall lower battery life than you would have with your ipod video in norm.

Any significative improvement over the current 7 hours with Rockbox would make me consider keeping the ipod!

regards,

Feb 5, 2008 at 4:19 AM Post #5 of 32
The testing builds are available now through the link that I provided in the original post. I got close to 16 hours with my 60 GB iPod video under testing conditions (which basically involves starting playback and letting it run. The runtime would obviously be less under real-life conditions where one is browsing files, using the backlight, etc.)

I suspect these changes will be incorporated into the official builds very soon. My guess is that they will be committed within a matter of days if the decision is made to commit the changes for the iPod Video before testing is complete on some of the other platforms, longer otherwise. As always, though, it's impossible to make any firm predictions, since people develop Rockbox in their spare time.

Feb 5, 2008 at 4:31 AM Post #6 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caribou679 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any significative improvement over the current 7 hours with Rockbox would make me consider keeping the ipod!

regards,

From the looks of it reading through the Rockbox site on the work Buschel's doing, A 60GB 5G increased in Battery Life to 13h51m.

You can find all about it here:

All PP502x Targets - Device Disable Testing Build (SVNr15975 & FS#8379 DDv14)

and here:

FS#8379: power consumption issues PP502x/5G

Febs: It would be great if you could post it when they finally accept this patch and make it part of the current builds. Thanks
biggrin.gif

Feb 5, 2008 at 11:55 AM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got close to 16 hours with my 60 GB iPod video under testing conditions

Febs,

What were you getting with the stock daily builds for run time?

Thanks.

Feb 9, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #14 of 32
So if I wanted to extract a patch to my 4th Photo color, would I use the most recent one, do the size of the patch matter? Also if I run into a problem, I could just extract current build (overwrite), right? This is new to me!

Feb 9, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by freeone-j /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So if I wanted to extract a patch to my 4th Photo color, would I use the most recent one, do the size of the patch matter? Also if I run into a problem, I could just extract current build (overwrite), right? This is new to me!

you need to get a patched build from soap, or build your own...

if there's a problem, just overwrite! things should be fine again
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back