Rockbox questions
Mar 30, 2010 at 7:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Subaru

New Head-Fier
Still in the midst of searching but me I have a ipod 5G video it seems most are putting this on because the EQ sounds better? I don't listen to my ipod with any EQ so does this really matter for me or not?

Mar 30, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #2 of 33
I currently have a rockboxed sansa e260 and sansa fuze. I also have sold a rockboxed 5.5 G (which I regret really but anyway..) so I do have some experience with various rockboxed players.

The answer to your question is that it depends. I do not typically use EQ so the EQ does not benefit me much but I do like having a good EQ if it was needed. Other reasons to use rockbox may be additional file formats with FLAC being the biggest one, gapless playback and a more customizable user interface. There are skins, fonts, etc that rockbox has that I use for my Sansa Fuze since the original UI is very awkward to navigate. I don't have rockbox for the EQ but the better UI and the gapless.

Mar 30, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #4 of 33
The EQ in Rockbox is great. If you don't use the Apple EQ then you won't gain from using Rockbox although it does a lot of cool things besides the great EQ. The only con for me was decreased battery life with RB.

Mar 30, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #5 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by dan1son /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rockbox gives quite a bit of stuff. It'll add FLAC and OGG support, it's skinnable, it has Doom, makes you iPod a Mass Storage device (you can simply copy stuff over to it, including music), no more iTunes requirement, gapless, etc. etc.

WhyRockbox < Main < Wiki

What happens if you connect it to itunes? I still do buy music off it.

Mar 30, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #6 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The EQ in Rockbox is great. If you don't use the Apple EQ then you won't gain from using Rockbox although it does a lot of cool things besides the great EQ. The only con for me was decreased battery life with RB.

Ah.. My battery right now is shot and I gotta replace it sometimes I get 30 min and if I'm running with the headphones I go from 90% to 3% all within 3 min.

Mar 30, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #7 of 33
One more thing. The file management under rockbox is much better. It is drag and drop instead of using itunes or whatever to add music. Even if you buy from itunes you can still use it on rockbox.

I would however replace your battery since yours is pretty much dead.

Mar 30, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #8 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Subaru /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Still in the midst of searching but me I have a ipod 5G video it seems most are putting this on because the EQ sounds better?

I do not think so.
From what I understand most are installing Rockbox because 1) it free them from iTunes 2) it support a wider range of audio codecs.

Quote:

I don't listen to my ipod with any EQ so does this really matter for me or not?

Well, then it should not matter. You might end up using Rockbox with the EQ turned off as well.

Mar 30, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #9 of 33
Quote:

Still in the midst of searching but me I have a ipod 5G video it seems most are putting this on because the EQ sounds better? I don't listen to my ipod with any EQ so does this really matter for me or not?

As far as I'm concerned rockbox is the best firmware I've run on any portable player, you can always try it and if you don't like, just it remove it. Rather than anyone tell you about it, why not read "Why Rockbox?" and take a look at the manual too here.

Mar 30, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #10 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by WalkGood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as I'm concerned rockbox is the best firmware I've run on any portable player, you can always try it and if you don't like, just it remove it. Rather than anyone tell you about it, why not read "Why Rockbox?" and take a look at the manual too here.

I looked at that and i still have the manual open I was just concerned about those two things I listed.

Mar 30, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

I looked at that and i still have the manual open I was just concerned about those two things I listed.

Good to hear that you are reading it, also if you don’t try yourself, you'll never know what your missing. But if you don’t use eq, L/R pan, crossfeed or any of their other wonderful features then it might not be for you as you say. Personally I could never stand itunes, IMHO it doesn’t give me the level of control that like and that enough is reason for me to run RB if I did sport an ipod.

Mar 30, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #13 of 33
I think I will give it a try I just ordered a replacement battery so I hope it will be here by this weekend.

*edit

wow just installed it.. other then stetting the database up and adding a theme the default settings sounds pretty good.

wow fade out when pausing is nice

one issue.. I can't seem to turn the ipod off holding down the play/pause button does nothing but just pause whatever is playing.. and so far I've held it down for 10 seconds and tried twice.

ok I figured out because I had the power cable connected.

Mar 31, 2010 at 1:48 AM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

... wow just installed it.. other then stetting the database up and adding a theme the default settings sounds pretty good. ... wow fade out when pausing is nice ...

Nice to read that you gave it a try and hope you enjoy it. It might not be for everyone but I certainly love running it and would like to run it on all my DAP's. lol at your power cable still being connected
biggrin.gif

Mar 31, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #15 of 33
haha well at least i got the ipod dock next to the bed so I have unlimited power
biggrin.gif
it seems to drain at a faster rate with rockbox..

Can't wait to put that 900 mAh battery in.

One thing I might of overlooked in the manual they say you a switch between rockbox and the apple OS during boot up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back