Rockbox iPod 5.5 SHR840 EQ question
Jul 21, 2010 at 1:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

virgopunk

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,
I'm a relative newb having a lot of fun with this set up (with an additional Cmoy BB amp p - soon to be replaced with the T3D)  but I have a question about the EQ frequency settings in Rockbox. The frequencies are user-definable but what would people consider to be a balanced set of frequencies?

I'm just concerned that I'm not covering the range correctly.

I've checked the Freq response of the 840s on Headroom and they seem to be peaking at the lower and higher ends but dipping in the middle.

I currently have 100Hz, 250Hz, 750Hz, 3000Hz and 12000Hz which sounds good but but it be better? As I said I'm more concerned about leaving to large a gap between each step. I've read about the 'Q' setting too but this still mystifies me a bit. For the record the Q for each is 1.7, 2.5, 4.4, 2.5, 1.7 (I'm trying to bring the middle up a bit to meet the peaks at the higher and lower ends.

The Rockbox EQ is pretty powerful and I've already found that it's very easy to frack the sound. There's not a lot of good advice around EQing. You usually just seem to get the 'if it sounds good to you' type of response.

I'd be really grateful for any pointers or thoughts around what seems to be the trickiest bit of using Rockbox.

Oh and for those that say that playback should always be flat to enable it to be as the producer intended it to be listened to I say this - have you ever added salt or pepper to a dish at a restaurant?
wink.gif

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back