Rockbox for iPod Video Fully Finished??
Mar 8, 2006 at 1:47 AM Post #61 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by muckshot
The only thing I don't like about Rockbox is its potential to furthur increase Apple's market share
evil_smiley.gif

nah; nobody cares but us dorks

Mar 8, 2006 at 2:26 AM Post #62 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kam3
Dual Booting is one of the plusses of Rockbox, so you can still play your videos on the H3xx, or 5G. at least until the good developers get Rockbox to support video too.

Hows the battery life on the 5G with Rockbox? i think they are still trying to figure out the power management patches. i know my H320 runs like half as much as it was able to before, so the 5G with Rockbox, must be abysmal.

For me, the 5G is pretty bad. I didn't understand yesterday why it kept turning on and then immediately off after about 3-4 hours of use. Strictly music. Once I hooked it up to my computer I figured out that the battery was indeed drained.

Mar 8, 2006 at 2:41 AM Post #63 of 73
And you need to be very careful with that. Drain the iPod battery completely too often and it'll never hold a charge again...

Mar 8, 2006 at 10:43 AM Post #64 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by muckshot
I had the clicker turned off when I installed rockbox, and the setting seems to have carried forward. Try booting over to the Apple firware (hold MENU + SELECT for 5 seconds to reset, then continue to hold MENU while the bootloader gets going), when the Apple firmware loads up, turn the clicker off in the 'settings' menu as has been described, then reset and boot up Rockbox.

1) Rockbox does not take any settings from the Apple firmware.

2) There is no "clicker sound" implemented in Rockbox.

Mar 8, 2006 at 11:16 AM Post #65 of 73
With so much support these days, I want to try Rockbox. Two questions though...

1.) How do you dual boot? Can't seem to find instructions on the site...

2.) Is it drag-and-drop w/ adding music files? Does it keep the music you have on your iPod when you add the Rockbox firmware? If you dual-boot, does that mean you can still add songs via iTunes and then listen to them via Rockbox? Does Rockbox support Apple Lossless?

Many thanks in advance.

Mar 8, 2006 at 11:26 AM Post #66 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtheisticFreedom
With so much support these days, I want to try Rockbox. Two questions though...

1.) How do you dual boot? Can't seem to find instructions on the site...

2.) Is it drag-and-drop w/ adding music files? Does it keep the music you have on your iPod when you add the Rockbox firmware? If you dual-boot, does that mean you can still add songs via iTunes and then listen to them via Rockbox? Does Rockbox support Apple Lossless?

Many thanks in advance.

1. It will load the Rockbox firmware as default. To launch the original Apple firmware follow these steps: How to start the original Apple Firmware.
2. Yes | Yes | No | Yes

Mar 8, 2006 at 1:44 PM Post #68 of 73
Ah, sweet. I have it on and everything. Ahhh, the goodness! lol I heard it drains the battery almost two-fold, but hell, at this rate, with something this good, who cares?

Couple glitches here and there, but wow, a darn good interface for the hardcore audiophile coupled w/ the iPods looks and controls.

Now I have an excuse for those lame iBud people who want to screw around w/ my iPod.

"Sorry, it's too advanced for you."
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 10, 2006 at 2:48 AM Post #69 of 73
haha i see this topic is alive and well. Been awhile since i checked up on it. And thank you for the developer to input his comments, very informative.

Im gonna check up on this topic for awhile-- keeping track of the development of the Rockbox for the Apple iPod 5G

Mar 10, 2006 at 3:09 AM Post #70 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtheisticFreedom
Now I have an excuse for those lame iBud people who want to screw around w/ my iPod.

"Sorry, it's too advanced for you."
very_evil_smiley.gif

ROFLMAO!!!!!! I have got to use that line!!! LOL!!
icon10.gif

Mar 10, 2006 at 4:10 AM Post #71 of 73
I love Rockbox, it's really neat. The EQ and other features help me balance my Ety ER6i's on the go.

However, I've returned to using the original iPod firmware. The low battery life is making it hard for me to make it through the day! lol

Mar 10, 2006 at 5:06 AM Post #72 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by busta
I love Rockbox, it's really neat. The EQ and other features help me balance my Ety ER6i's on the go.

However, I've returned to using the original iPod firmware. The low battery life is making it hard for me to make it through the day! lol

I'm in the same boat. Once they have the power management stuff worked out a bit more I think I'll take a stab at it.

Mar 25, 2006 at 9:52 PM Post #73 of 73
I just installed the latest build for the 5G (3/25/06) and am happy to report that progress is being made. Audio quality on FLAC playback via the headphone output is much better since the last time I listened at the beginning of March. The volume via the line out connector has also been fixed at 0dB and is no longer variable. Crossfeed is problematic with this build (scratchy sounding) and the battery meter still isn't functional, so I don't know if longevity is being addressed yet. It is *sounding* a whole lot better though. Way to go Rockbox team! Keep those improvements a-comin'!
icon10.gif

EDIT: It appears that the battery meter *is* working, I just don't know how accurate it is at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back