Rockbox for iPod Video Fully Finished??
Mar 4, 2006 at 2:28 AM Post #46 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by K2Grey
While the DAC may indeed be handling the task of amplification, it's still not necessarily the case that Apple did not put caps or whatever in the signal path and so on. I really doubt it's a direct DAC - out connection. It'd probably be nice if someone could open up their iPod and post the components for both headphone and line out signal paths.

I believe this is where the Redwine mod could possibly make the SQ difference by physically changing the caps and other stuffs along the signal path up to the line-out. But that is a very different story altogether requiring hardware changes. Even so, the internal amp inside the Codec cannot be bypassed in the usual sense, and the iPod EQ reamins funtional in the line-out. I have a confirmation from Vinnie of Redwine in another post for the 4G mod in which he said:

Yes, you can still use the EQ, but I don't recommend it because it adds distortion. I always leave the EQ set to OFF.

Best regards,

Vinnie

Mar 5, 2006 at 2:22 AM Post #47 of 73
On a different topic, can those who have music running smoothly on Rockbox post what codecs they're using? 10 days or so ago I had problems with LAME v0 (ape), but I'll be trying again soon.

Mar 5, 2006 at 3:32 AM Post #48 of 73
Quote:

On a different topic, can those who have music running smoothly on Rockbox post what codecs they're using? 10 days or so ago I had problems with LAME v0 (ape), but I'll be trying again soon.

I'm running Rockbox with Lame encoded VBR MP3s at highest quality (v0) without any major audio glitches so long as the EQ is OFF along with crossefeed etc. Gapless is really nice, but I can't wait until more mature releases when I can get the EQ going full force. The 5th gen Ipod needs some EQing to get the sound I'm looking for
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

Mar 5, 2006 at 6:06 PM Post #49 of 73
I have been playing lossless Wavepack music files on my 5G without a single problem for almost a week. EQ is off and no crossfeed. The playback is smooth and the sound is just fanastic. The EQ and crossfeed, however, still need some work. It is expected as Rockbox 5G is very muck a work-in-progress but I am happy with performance of the current build. More testing and debugging are still needed. Please help to submit bug reports on the Rockbox bug tracker:

http://www.rockbox.org/bugs/

Headphone out vs. Line-out:
I also compared the SQ out of the line-out using the Sik ram din dock and the headphone out with volume set at 0db or 90% level. I used the Xin Supermacro V3 as the headphone amp with Sennhesier HD-600 for comparison, and found the sound was just as good as in both cases.

Here is the pic of the Linart theme I use on my 5G:

sm35grockbox2jf.jpg

Thanks to all Rockbox developers for their great work!

Mar 5, 2006 at 6:24 PM Post #50 of 73
Ahh, it seems to be crossfeed that was causing me problems. As soon as I turned it off things ran smoothly without clipping.

Mar 6, 2006 at 2:53 AM Post #52 of 73
Does anyone know how to turn off that gosh-darn-awful click-wheel scrolling sound?

It's driving me crazy
eek.gif

Mar 6, 2006 at 7:02 PM Post #54 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by muckshot
The only thing I don't like about Rockbox is its potential to furthur increase Apple's market share
evil_smiley.gif

Oh don't worry about that.. I'm expecting apple any day now to issue a cease and desist to Rockbox for violating the DMCA or something else equally screwed up...
mad.gif
rolleyes.gif

Mar 6, 2006 at 8:48 PM Post #55 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by jtevol1
Go to the Settings menu, and the turn off the Clicker option.

There is no Clicker setting on my Rockbox. Are you referring to the original iPod firmware?

Mar 7, 2006 at 10:10 PM Post #56 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by busta
There is no Clicker setting on my Rockbox. Are you referring to the original iPod firmware?

I had the clicker turned off when I installed rockbox, and the setting seems to have carried forward. Try booting over to the Apple firware (hold MENU + SELECT for 5 seconds to reset, then continue to hold MENU while the bootloader gets going), when the Apple firmware loads up, turn the clicker off in the 'settings' menu as has been described, then reset and boot up Rockbox.

Mar 7, 2006 at 10:29 PM Post #57 of 73
You mean you can dual boot between apple's firmware and rockbox? Now that *is* interesting.... Can Rockbox also play AAC files? I didn't see support for it on the website...

Mar 7, 2006 at 10:48 PM Post #58 of 73
Rockbox can play AAC.

You don't really dual boot, rather, you boot to rockbox as default. If you hold down Menu when turning on the iPod it boots to the Apple firmware. From then on if you want to get back to the Rockbox you hit menu+select to reset it to Rockbox. So you can run both simultaneously without too much trouble, but it's not like it loads to a "select your firmware" screen.

Mar 7, 2006 at 10:49 PM Post #59 of 73
Dual Booting is one of the plusses of Rockbox, so you can still play your videos on the H3xx, or 5G. at least until the good developers get Rockbox to support video too.

Hows the battery life on the 5G with Rockbox? i think they are still trying to figure out the power management patches. i know my H320 runs like half as much as it was able to before, so the 5G with Rockbox, must be abysmal.

Mar 7, 2006 at 11:26 PM Post #60 of 73
Quote:

Rockbox can play AAC.

You don't really dual boot, rather, you boot to rockbox as default. If you hold down Menu when turning on the iPod it boots to the Apple firmware. From then on if you want to get back to the Rockbox you hit menu+select to reset it to Rockbox. So you can run both simultaneously without too much trouble, but it's not like it loads to a "select your firmware" screen.

Well, OK.. I didn't mean dual boot in the GRUB sense...
wink.gif

But still that's really neat, I might just have to figure out how to put that in my iPod Photo... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back