Rockbox...curious about it
Nov 21, 2005 at 12:20 PM Post #31 of 54
Rockbox was a god send when I first got it.

Funnily enough my first build was corrupt and the playback feature didnt work. But I was on holiday by then... so I was still happy to just use Rockbox to make OTF playlists.

Once they get a custom EQ sorted out and perhaps a nice screensaver function... I will never get rid of my H-140
biggrin.gif

Nov 21, 2005 at 1:32 PM Post #32 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderman
yes. Karma has better headphone out and overall cleaner signal. H120 sounds pretty much the same but the signal has a slight bit of noise. But this is a thread about rockbox...

Sorry - did not mean to be OT.
If someone thinks it's inappropriate to the thread please PM me and I'll deal with it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 21, 2005 at 11:10 PM Post #33 of 54
Ok, i followed the directions from the mystic river site and i installed the rockbox firmware...it would be nice if i noticed a difference!

It (the menu system) looks exactly the same to me as if i had the iriver firmware on it only. Did i miss something here?

confused.gif

Nov 22, 2005 at 12:46 AM Post #34 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Spot
Most definitely due to a buggy build I'm sure. This is NOT a problem, and even navigating from folder to folder is blazing fast, instantaneous, because of the dir. cache it uses. You turn on the cache , reboot, and it scans everything one time only, and after that, it's all wonderful.

ROCKbox is amazing man. seriously. You owe it to yourself to try it. You can also get more info about it and how to do stuff etc at MisticRiver There's a section dedicated to ROCKbox, and lots of helpful people should you get confused. Also, see my signature here, or on MR for very easy instructions on how to get started with ROCKbox.

Dude, i owe you one for the noob walk thru...that worked perfectly. I knew something was off. Thanks again!

Nov 23, 2005 at 9:52 PM Post #36 of 54
That sort of thing will get implemented soon enough. But when I do miss some of the EQ settings I just quickly boot up the old firmware.

Nov 23, 2005 at 11:25 PM Post #37 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Strings
That sort of thing will get implemented soon enough. But when I do miss some of the EQ settings I just quickly boot up the old firmware.

trubass will never implemented because that is that propritetary srs labs thing. But gapless and crossfading are more important to me then eq. Especially otf playlisting.

Nov 24, 2005 at 11:53 AM Post #38 of 54
I know specific SRS can never be implemented, but they will be able to put in very similar features. For all we know, a more customisable bass feature.

Nov 24, 2005 at 1:30 PM Post #39 of 54
I wonder what kind of EQ it will be? I hope for a fully customizable parametric one
biggrin.gif

Nov 24, 2005 at 2:55 PM Post #42 of 54
Remember though that with Rockbox and the iRiver iHP-120 or 140 that you either have the optical out (which is what I desire and use) or the line out (which is required if you use those additional features such as EQ). I think these features and the use of the optical out are mutually exclusive.

I use Rockbox for its FLAC lossless ability and optical out features.

Nov 24, 2005 at 6:59 PM Post #43 of 54
Hmm,

I tried to install Rockbox into my iHP140, but the firmware doesn't seem to want to upgrade. I have the most current iRiver firmware, v1.6, already installed. When I try to install either the Rockbox modified firmware or even the original iRiver firmware again, when I hit "upgrade firmware" nothing happens. Maybe it's because the upgrade file is the same version as currently installed?

Any thoughts? Actually, can someone confirm that the optical out still works with the Rockbox installed?

Best,

-Jason

Nov 24, 2005 at 8:30 PM Post #45 of 54
Thanks. I think it was the version issue. I found v1.65 on the iRiver global site - they didn't have it on iRiver Americas. Anyway, I was able to upgrade and get Rockbox working.

FLAC and gapless is nice! Not being able to view Japanese text (my files are 1/2 in Japanese...) any more isn't...
frown.gif

Guess there's a patch I'm gonna have to figure out to get Japanese working with Rockbox. Another issue is that dBpowerAMP, the program I'm using to convert my Apple Lossless to FLAC doesn't appear to like Japanese characters either... hmm....

Best,

-Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back