Rockbox...curious about it
Nov 30, 2005 at 4:49 AM Post #47 of 54
Got Rockbox up and running on my new (used) iRiver iHP-120. However, I am having a small issue. Whenever I play FLAC files, the hard drive has to spin up a lot more which is normal because of the larger file sizes, but I am getting hard drive whirring noises/static at the beginning of tracks audible through my earphones because of this. I was wondering if anyone else experienced this.

As a sidenote, I love Rockbox so far. Browsing themes is great. Using the iPod theme, it's almost like I never sold my 4th gen monochrome 20 gig.
biggrin.gif

Nov 30, 2005 at 7:20 AM Post #48 of 54
Please remember that any bugs you notice (whirring HD noises upon playback of files) should be reported to the devs at www.rockbox.org on the forums and the other appropriate places. It's also likely that if there is a genuine bug, other people have noticed it as well, and it shall be dealt with accordingly, but reporting it yourself won't hurt.
wink.gif

Nov 30, 2005 at 11:24 AM Post #49 of 54
Borat I havent noticed this when playing FLAC music. But that might be because I have Directory Cache on. So all my directories etc are pre-cached before I browse or play anything.

Nov 30, 2005 at 4:41 PM Post #50 of 54
The only thing i have noticed is that the player is a little slow to respond when i go back to the menu to select another album to listen to, most likely a cache issue especially since it frequently occurs when i'm playing flacs or shns. I tell ya, rockbox is freggin sweet! Now if only it could support all the various vg music file formats (ie. .nsf, .gym, .spc) i would be totally stoked.
cool.gif

Nov 30, 2005 at 8:42 PM Post #51 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by gloco
The only thing i have noticed is that the player is a little slow to respond when i go back to the menu to select another album to listen to, most likely a cache issue especially since it frequently occurs when i'm playing flacs or shns.

What kind of slow response? If you're waiting for the hard drive to spin up to read the file system again, you should turn on directory caching.

Nov 30, 2005 at 10:41 PM Post #52 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Thanks. I think it was the version issue. I found v1.65 on the iRiver global site - they didn't have it on iRiver Americas. Anyway, I was able to upgrade and get Rockbox working.

FLAC and gapless is nice! Not being able to view Japanese text (my files are 1/2 in Japanese...) any more isn't...
frown.gif

Guess there's a patch I'm gonna have to figure out to get Japanese working with Rockbox. Another issue is that dBpowerAMP, the program I'm using to convert my Apple Lossless to FLAC doesn't appear to like Japanese characters either... hmm....

Best,

-Jason

I took a look at the feature list today and it lists support for Apple Lossless. So why are you converting to FLAC?

I haven't tried rockbox for a few months because Korean text wasn't supported previously. I recently ripped all my CDs to Apple Lossless so I've got nothing to hold me back from converting my rockbox. I'm gonna give it a whirl when I get home.

Nov 30, 2005 at 10:42 PM Post #53 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by adam917
OK. I always wonder why they changed their iHP line to just the H line.

The reason is because Hewlett Packard threatened iRiver with trademark infringement. I'm not sure whether the case was actually taken to court.

Nov 30, 2005 at 10:48 PM Post #54 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by aice
I've seen the H120's on ebay, but not the H140 (they also go under the name "ihp 120" and "ihp 140"). Not sure about the availibility outside of the US, though.

I bought my H140 from ebay... like new condition. Keep on looking on ebay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back