Rockbox and Clip-wow!
Dec 9, 2009 at 3:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

todd92371

100+ Head-Fier
I just Rockbox'd my clip last night. This coupled with the new e3 amp I received is really blowing me away. Now, I can use the eq to adjust the low end for the er4p phones.I couldn't do this before because of the muddy eq with the stock Clip. I cannot believe the sound coming out of this little guy now. I have no desire for a better portable now. I highly recommend the Rockbox. It is running fairly stable also. Good stuff.

todd

Dec 9, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes it is. It is very easy to uninstall

worth a try then, sounds like ya can't loose
tongue.gif

Dec 9, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #8 of 17
I just dual boot my installation. This way you can choose between the native software and rockbox. Good for testing. I have included a link detailing simple instructions to do so. It's toward the bottom of the thread.
Once again- as mentioned above - make sure you have a ver. 1 player

Rockbox: Clip v1 has sound - Sansa Clip / Clip+ - Page 13 - abi>>forums

todd

Dec 10, 2009 at 9:19 AM Post #10 of 17
Anyone else having difficulty initializing the database? In my case, it took a couple tries (had to do a hard reset after freezing) to initialize until it finally made it all the way through. Then it told me to reboot, but when I did it froze on the next step (I forget the exact wording) and I had to do a hard reset again, but even then going back to rockbox it would keep freezing on startup.

Went back, deleted, reinstalled rockbox, it works fine except for the database.

Dec 10, 2009 at 1:57 PM Post #13 of 17
wow indeed
smily_headphones1.gif
The current build is much more stable (I rockboxed my Clip before and changed back to the original after repeated crashes) and the installation instructions on the Rockbox page are straight forward. The sound now is much more 'spacious' and with the crossfeed feature being very customisable (cutoff, high frequency attenuation etc), the sound can be tailored to one's needs. Makes me think that SanDisk was conservative with the firmware in the first place.

Dec 10, 2009 at 2:30 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by thwood3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you dual boot the installation will/could that preserve compatibility with Rhapsody To Go?

Personally I have not tried this, but IIRC you won’t be able to play DRM music after you flash rockbox any more, even if you remove it later. It’s best to run the OF in MSC mode and it doesn’t work for Rhapsody and other music services, you have to run with MTP, which IMHO MTP sucks …

Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my four year old shuffle finally died, but is finding a v1 hard? BTW, I don't live in the USA, cannot ship in from your distributors either.

Typically if you buy a refurb they're v1, but I don't know if they're available in your area. i.e. for example yesterday woot had 1gb clips for US $9.99 and buy.com occassionally has them for $14.99 so do others ...

BTW I've had more luck running it on the 1gb players very soomthly without glithces or without freezing, yes last year in December the port was working, but every now and then you would hear a glitch in the music. IIRC by March or April the ports I was running didn't have the glitch. But even with the latest offical release from rockbox.org my 2gb would freeze and yesterday it died completely, fortunately I was able to recover it.

While completely dead, connected usb after moving power button to hold while holding center button, then it showed up as removable disk and was able to reformat and re-flash fw.

Edit: typically you have a better chance to get a v1 with either 1 or 2gb refurbs, most likely not with new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back