ROCK!
Aug 1, 2008 at 8:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

jcfs

New Head-Fier
Hello all,
I'm actually looking for a phone for alternative rock. I tend to focus heavily on clear, defined, and forward bass, while not overwhelming the rest of music. Mid-ranges are also very important. While I do have a DT 770 and enjoy it well for hip hop, I feel that it is too heavy for the purposes of rock music.

Price range should be ~$200-$250.

All suggestions appreciated!

Aug 1, 2008 at 8:10 AM Post #2 of 9
Maybe try a AKG 240 Sextet LP, or a grado SR80 etc...
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 1, 2008 at 8:19 AM Post #5 of 9
Wow, fast replies! It seems that the general consensus is that grados = unbeatable for rock phones.

I can actually get a dt-880 at a greatly discounted price from a friend of mine and was wondering how that would sound. any ideas?

Aug 1, 2008 at 8:39 AM Post #6 of 9
They are very detailed headphone with rather flat frequency response, but with a spike in lower treble to give it a sharper sound. But its also lacks some kick, so it isnt as exiting for rocking out, but otherwise its very good headphones if the treble spike doesnt bother. Also good amplifier is recommended to get best sound out of them.

Aug 1, 2008 at 8:41 AM Post #7 of 9
Try grado/alessandro or maybe.. audio technica...i have the alessandro ms1 and they're far better than my beyers for some kinds of rock, though less detailed....that's the only comparison i can provide you
wink.gif

Aug 1, 2008 at 2:55 PM Post #8 of 9
I wouldn't recommend 880's for rock, they won't have the bass you're after. go for some SR-225's or a used MS-2, MS-2's are better at rock than 880s + amplifying the 880's to a satisfactory level is a pain in the ass.

Aug 1, 2008 at 3:17 PM Post #9 of 9
SR-225's are amazing for fuzzed or distorted guitar. Bass isn't bad. With a good EQ, it can be compensated for as it can handle a little extra low end but those mids. Very sweet sounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back