Rock with heavy classical influences?
Nov 19, 2008 at 11:25 PM Post #17 of 34
Jonathanjong, for Dream Theater, I really consider them more of a jazz/metal combination (maybe I just don't recognize their classical influences though, since I don't listen to classical).

My favorite album by them would be either 6 Degrees of Inner Turbulence, Scenes From A Memory, or Images & Words. If I HAD to recommend one, I'd probably recommend Six Degrees, although I've heard it's not exactly a fan favorite.

For good individual songs, check out Space-Dye Vest, Pull Me Under, Take The Time, Metropolis Pt. 1, Overture 1928, About To Crash, Solitary Shell, About To Crash (Reprise), and Losing Time / Grand Finale. My favorite of these songs would probably be Metropolis Pt. 1.

Oh yeah and two (supposedly) epic songs by them are A Change of Seasons and Octavarium. I've never heard A Change of Seasons, but I find Octavarium boring tbh. It does have this ridiculous verse where pretty much a ton of allusions to their musical influences are used.

Check out their offshoot project, Liquid Tension Experiment. That's more influenced by jazz.

I have Quantum by Symphony X and find it sort of boring.

Reponse to your post in the Shakira topic, figured you'd have a better chance of noticing it here.

Nov 19, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #19 of 34
Metallia's S&M album
wink.gif

Nov 19, 2008 at 11:50 PM Post #20 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ But don't you think that if listeners can't really tell that rock has classical roots any more, then the history is kind of irrelevant? Maybe? Like, I wouldn't really see metal/classical fusion stuff as metal "going back to its roots". It's new...and - dare I use the cliche - progressive.

Yea, it's not all that important unless you are a music hitorian. I just don't like it when someone tries to educate me and tell me it's all influenced by the blues when it isn't.

Nov 20, 2008 at 2:55 PM Post #22 of 34
I am not sure if I understand you correctly, but I believe you may find something between the notes in one of these...

Deep Purple:

Live in Japan
Perfect Strangers
The Battle Rages On
Live At Royal Albert Hall

Rainbow:

On Stage
Difficult To Cure
Down To Earth
Bent Out of Shape
Long Live Rock'n'Roll

Nov 20, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #24 of 34
Rock, no experience personally. Metal, oh yes.
biggrin.gif
Nightwish more or less birthed the Symphonic Metal genre, plus has operatic vocals. Children of Bodom's keyboard work is almost baroque in style at times. Symphony X is a no-brainer, both playing standard metal with string ensembles and classical music scores with metal instrumentation and power metal vocals. Hmm.. let's see... well, just look up Gothic Metal, Symphonic Metal and Neoclassical metal on Wikipedia and go from there.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 21, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #25 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Erm, I guess I'm looking for rock music, but with non-traditional (to rock) instruments. Violin, trumpets, etc. Big bang rock? Or perhaps the other way around: Classical-ish music played by a rock band.

How about 70's band "Electric Light Orchestra" ? Lots of violins and classical lines in a commercial rock / pop vein.

Or, if you want to go heavy on electric guitar with molto classical influence, try "Yngwie Malmsteen" from Sweden, especially is early "Rising Force" album. Killer speed and virtuosity.

Nov 21, 2008 at 3:46 PM Post #26 of 34
If it's Muse he likes then he should just buy all of Radioheads albums too because as I said they are quite similar. If you like Radiohead then you will like Muse and vice versa.

Nov 21, 2008 at 11:45 PM Post #27 of 34
of course they have blues influences! They just have some classical thrown into the bag as well. I would doubt the existence of a piece of music made with a guitar that doesn't have blues influence....

But as to the OP, I would like to hail SUFJAN STEVENS! Obvious classical influence there...

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One thing that bugs me is when some people say rock is heavily influenced by the blues when in fact a lot of it is far more influenced by classical music. Sure Led Zep and the Stones are heavily blues influenced but bands like Genesis, Yes, Agalloch, Laibach etc. have nothing to do with the blues at all.

Nov 22, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #30 of 34
im pretty sure coheed & cambria has some classical influences on some of their songs, but then again i could be way off.

oh, and if you wanna go the other way around, classical with rock influences, look up vitamin string quartet. they take albums from other bands, play them entirely with orchestral instruments, and then name the cd "a tribute to <insert band>"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back