Rock system <$400
Sep 18, 2006 at 6:42 AM Post #16 of 21
don't mean to hijack the thread here but erm ms2i ? i see ms2 on alessandro's site, whats the ms2i?

Sep 18, 2006 at 11:53 AM Post #17 of 21
im also curious about that
wink.gif

Sep 18, 2006 at 11:58 AM Post #18 of 21
MS2i is head-fi nomenclature- it isn't an official model but a way of differentiating the model based on the SR325 (known here as the MS2) and the current model based on the SR325i, with the bigger chambers.

Sep 18, 2006 at 12:16 PM Post #19 of 21
Right Goeff, it's a fun piece of Grado/Alessandro history!

When the SR-325i came out as an "i"mprovement to the SR-325 in January of '05, the SR-325 received a larger mushroom styled aluminum housing finished in a gold tone to celebrate Grados' 50th aniversary. The MS2 received the new housing as well, but didn't want or need an upgraded driver as the Grado received as Alessandro was already happy with the sound of MS2. So the MS2 came out looking different than the original MS2, but not many folks at the time knew if the sound changed as well. A lot of comparison testing went on to see if there was a sonic difference between the classic MS2 and the new "Fatboy" version. Some folks felt they heard a difference, but the vast majority didn't.

So while the new MS2 looked different it wasen't, really; just looked different. So officially Alessandro calls all MS2s "MS2."

It just got tiring around here to call the new MS2 "Fatboy"(lots of keystrokes!)so it was just easier to call it MS2 with the "i" as Grado had used to identify the "new" SR-325!

You'll also notice that this "mushroom" style has been utilized on the new flagship Grado GS1K....cool. huh?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back