Rock system <$400
Sep 17, 2006 at 10:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

nothing101

500+ Head-Fier
I would like to know what is a good rock system for less than 400 bucks. (amp and cans) i like grados but i dont know what to amp them with. i dont like bloated or boomy bass. i would like the bass to be a little more than the ety er6i but not much. Hopefuly, after this i can finally decide on what system to work on. Senns are definitely too laid back for me.
blink.gif

um what else to say? um, um, um....
tongue.gif

Sep 17, 2006 at 10:50 AM Post #2 of 21
Most people (everyone?) here will recommend the Grado SR-225 for rock in that budget. That'll leave roughly $200 to spend on a amp, but I hardly have any experience with amps in that price range. My Firestone Cute did allright with my SR-325i's, but I'm sure there are much better alternatives. One thing is for sure, Grado's love tubes, so a Millet Hybrid might be a good idea?

Also, I've had some very short time with a HF-1 from a Head-Five and it sounded great. That'll stretch your budget by $50 orso, but it could be worth it.

Sep 17, 2006 at 11:44 AM Post #4 of 21
Some one said that Go!Vibe 5 (a portable amplifier) has incredibly good synergy with SR-225. And Gilmore Lite with Grado headphones are reported to have some very nice results.

Sep 17, 2006 at 11:56 AM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by nothing101
which would sound better: sr225 and bithead or sr325i with airhead?

SR325i isn't necessarily 'better' than the SR225, the SR225 is warmer where SR325i is more anlytical
The bithead is also a dac(can connect to your computer) where airhead is just an amp
It depends on your uses, but for you i'd recommend an SR225 with a good(supermini, govibe, portaphile)

Sep 17, 2006 at 12:04 PM Post #6 of 21
I did not see where you mention if this was for use at home or portable.

If for home, Head-Five works well with my sr225 nad is a great deal at $250 (about $225 slightly used)
If for portable I'd second the Go-Vibe suggestion.

If you could find a used sr225 and a used Head-Five you'd be under budget, with the Go-Vibe & sr225 you can go with new and have change back.

Sep 17, 2006 at 12:17 PM Post #7 of 21
I seem to be fairly lucky in having a pretty good source; or so it seems.

I'm currently listening to my MS2i unamped and having a lot of trouble typing.

In the price range you're looking at there are tons of excelent "almost-final" cans that would take a chunk out of the upgraditus bug if you could get one and forgo an amp for a while.

You would need a good source at this point though, and have a pretty good handle on what type of music you enjoy and what kind of "sound" you prefer, or a wrong decision could be costly, or inconvenient, and you could find yourself in the "for sale or trade" forum....but Hey! THAT could be a lot of fun too!

Just a though, and certainly not a suggestion!

.....but these MS2i are really FAB for rock!!

Sep 17, 2006 at 12:40 PM Post #8 of 21
while i use apple losless and wav formats my source is not good and that is why i was considering the bithead. I would really like it to be a portable rig although my only limitation for it being "portable" is not having it plugged into the wall.
tongue.gif

So the sr225 is better for its money than the 325i or ms2i from what i understand?

i might get the chance to listen to some akg k601 & k701s this weekend and i am wondering if they are good at rock.

oh and i am a complete grado fanboy so any grado would make me very happy!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 17, 2006 at 3:31 PM Post #9 of 21
I think the MS2i is a nice step up over the SR225. It's an amazing phone, definitely one of the cooler ones I've had in my quest.

I think the 325i isn't all that hot. It's just un-balanced bright and doesn't have the finesse that the MS2i has.

It's a hundred dollars more than what you were thinking, but I'd do the MS2i (or find one used for $230 or so), and new Total Bithead (a great deal).

Sep 17, 2006 at 6:38 PM Post #12 of 21
Pint, used for around $100 (dieinafire was trying to unload one for around $80)
K701, used for around $300 (I think thats their going rate)

Not as aggressive as a Grado, but more open, spatious and balanced. Will also do other kinds of music very well.

Ditto the HF1 recommendation. they can be found for $300 used.

Sep 17, 2006 at 11:29 PM Post #15 of 21
I think the bithead is a good idea cause of the dac. would a better amp without a dac sound better through a bad source like a laptop?

so its either the ms2i or sr225. ms2i if the price is right. sounds good.
wink.gif

Thanks for all this help!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back