Rock songs with a detective theme/plot
Mar 5, 2007 at 4:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

sebascrub

500+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for rock/metal/punk songs with a detective motif for one of my classes in popular culture. So far I have Iron Maiden - Murders in the Rue Morgue, as well as a couple of Alan Parson Project songs. Ideally, the songs would be based on some archetype of the detective genre, like Poe's Dupin, Sherlock Holmes, the hardboiled detective, etc.

So, what should I check out?

Mar 5, 2007 at 6:14 PM Post #6 of 21
Dire Straights - Private Investigations - good song BTW

Mar 5, 2007 at 6:33 PM Post #8 of 21
The Streets - A Grand Don't Come For Free - Empty Cans

More of a lost/found song. Finds his money in the back of the tv.

Mar 6, 2007 at 5:15 AM Post #9 of 21
Thanks for all the replies...keep 'em coming!

Mar 6, 2007 at 9:29 AM Post #12 of 21
Any of the progressive concept albums.... Queensryche operation mindchrime, Dreamtheater - Scenes from a mamory are two that come to mind. They are more prog-rock though, and hence not everyone's cup of tea.

Mar 6, 2007 at 12:34 PM Post #13 of 21
need something a little different?
how about a cyberpunk/psychotic serial killer story (something akin to william gibson's novel 'neuromancer' or kathryn bigelow's sci-fi movie 'strange days'):

david bowie's concept album '1. outside' has a story arc and interrelated songs from the various characters' viewpoints (victims, witnesses, killer). the song i'd recommend is 'i'm deranged' but you can use the whole album
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 6, 2007 at 8:00 PM Post #15 of 21
They Might Be Giants! Watch out for those Hotel Detectives! Oh and Duppy already mentioned em, oops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back