Rock/Pop songs with killer sax solos
Dec 12, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #47 of 60
I recently got into songs with sax solos - can anyone recommend some more?

Steely Dan - Dr. Wu

Steely Dan - Aja

Gerry Rafferty - Baker Street

Guillemots - Trains to Brazil

Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run

Supertramp - The Logical Song

Pink Floyd - Us & Them

Bob Seger - Turn the Page

Be Bop Deluxe - Ships in the Night (at least, I think it's a sax)

Hall & Oates - Las Vegas Turnaround

Hall & Oates - Abandoned Luncheonette

Madness - One Step Beyond

I would like to add "Shine on you crazy diamond" from the album "Wish you were here" by Pink Floyd. Terrific sax solo.

Dec 14, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #48 of 60
No one has mentioned the Psychedelic Furs? Their albums are chock full of saxophone work...

Feb 22, 2013 at 7:35 AM Post #50 of 60
Rollling Stones "Can You Hear Me Knockin" has Sax and guitar solos, and back up guitars and drums are amazing in head phones.  Took me awhile to find because did not know name, but looked up on Google and got to 10 sax solos.  You have to listen to about 2 minutes of rockin, then goes into CLASSIC sax solo.

Mar 6, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #51 of 60
OK. A couple of older ones -
Everyone knows this song; Richie Valens' "Tequila" is mostly Sax, introduced by a bit of guitar strumming. There's some innovative and exuberant stuff being played there.
Jerry Lee Lewis' "Splish-Splash I was Taking a Bath" has a couple of short but decent sax solo riffs.

Fast Forward to 1975 for Amon Düül II's "Loosey Girls" (Made in Germany album). They got Bobby Jones in to do the sax work (about 2min 30s in, if you want to cut to the chase). He's a decent sax player too.

Apr 22, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #54 of 60
Lady Madonna-----Beatles
Let's Dance----Bowie
Live with Me----Stones
Night Time is the Right Time----Ray Charles
St Louis Blues--- Peter Cincotti
Touch Me---Doors
Glad----Traffic
Shotgun---Jr Walker and the Allstars
Just the way you are----Billy Joel
Year of the Cat---Al Stewart
Still Rock n Roll to me---B Joel
Moondance---V Morrison

Apr 28, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #55 of 60
We have seen a few of BurgundyBoy's suggestions already in this thread, for others it is certainly arguable whether they fall into rock/pop as opposed to jazz/blues, but there are some good new ones there.

I was particularly impressed recently listening to Hazel O'Connor's Will You (commended by Mike Yohno).

Meanwhile a couple of good sax pieces from Caravan: Can't be Long Now from IICDIAOAIDIAOY and I Don't Know Its Name (alias 'The Word') from the extended version of ITLOGAP.

Casesensitive mentions Quarterflash Harden My Heart. Just to note in passing that this one appears in Maxim Magazine's list of the top 10 worst and most inappropriate uses of a sax solo
o2smile.gif

Happy listening

Apr 30, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #57 of 60
Boy Meets Girl - Waiting for a Star to Fall from the Reel Life album

Does nobody else out here like Frank Zappa's Gumbo Variations? I mentioned it some time ago. Really, you disagree?

May 1, 2013 at 7:34 AM Post #58 of 60
BTW which version of Blur's Popscene has the killer sax solo recommended earlier in this thread? The youtube link does not work (I just get "Private video")
I have seen/listened to two versions including (I think) the original single and the version played on the Word. Neither of those has any sax at all and one live version (Glastonbury 98) where the horn section existed but didn't do much.

May 9, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #59 of 60
Trisoscapes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back